Hanging a punching bag- load on ceiling beam?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by seeeker, May 2, 2011.

1. seeeker

seeeker New Member

I would like to hang a big punching from my ceiling, between 70-100lbs.

I have found the right equipment to actually hang the thing from the beam, strengthening the joists, etc. What I'm really wondering is how much weight load a typical 2x4 ceiling beam can handle. The beam spans about 12 feet, and I will probably hang the bag about 4+/- feet from the wall.

Does the beam need to be reinforced structurally to carry a 100lb punching bag (that will also be swinging around a bit)?

Thanks for any tips!

2. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

Actually, I wouldn't recommend it with a 2x4. By the time you drill a hole through it it will be somewhat weakened. The weight isn't so much the problem as the jolting it will receive. This will cause the plaster to crack , leaving you with a large damaged area. If it's a stand-alone beam then I would suggest you simply tie a rope around it a few times and use that to mount the bag, so you don't weaken the beam by drilling. Some reenforcement would still be a good idea.

A punching bag stand may be a better option. Do you own this place or rent it? Does the beam support a plaster ceiling? Do you have another option?

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's quite easy really. Spread the load across the adjacent beams with some more timber at 90 degrees. The longer & more the timber the more you spread the load. That's a big bag though, a corner stand might be another option. Much will depend on how big you are

4. seeeker

seeeker New Member

I own the house, so I was planning on actually cutting a hole in the ceiling drywall, and hanging it with some kind of holder (seen on Amazon) from a beam. I would reinforce the beams by installing support between the beams (what are those called?)

I don't want a stand because there's not that much room, and I don't want a big metal rig getting in the way of things. Maybe will get an 80-90lb bag.

I can picture the whole setup in my head, just concerned about the beam and the weight.

Thx!

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Similar thing here and it's been OK for years. Doesn't get used that often but it has in the past