Hanging a kickbag...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by David, Jun 4, 2005.

1. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

A friend has sold-up and I charitably bought his 5' kickbag from him.

What are my options for hanging this in an upstairs room of an older terraced house?

Also, what should I definitely not do?

It came stuffed with old fabric so there's no unusual weight to contend with. It does have to stay upstairs and I'm not putting in new joists so please be realistic with suggestions for mounting/replacement filling! :D

Rgds,
    David

2. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

I'm not sure how you're hanging it, but I'll show you how I hung mine in the basement with the attached image.

One thing you should not do is hang the bag up with one hanger. It'll eventually start to bend and wear the surface it's been screwed into until it snaps off. You can see my old hanger on the right of where the bag is hung now.

To hang it, I just bought a nice sturdy handle for a couple bucks at the local hardware store and stuck four 5" screws in to suspend the heavy bag. If you are hanging it on the wall be sure to find a good ceiling board to put it in. You may also want to put a 1-2" board between the wall and the place where your hanging the bag, I find that helps you from tearing the surface completely to crap.

It's certainly not a pretty solution but it'll get the job done. Good luck!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  3. Dr.Quinn

Dr.Quinn BOLO!!!

Thats a really cool idea Hearwa, i might try that...

4. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Thankyou for your effort of photography!

Any more for any more?

Rgds,
    David

5. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Look in places like screwfix, you can get fittings like a wroght iron hook with a baseplate. You can then use bolts and put that direct through a roof joist.

What not to do?
    Compromise a roof joist, rely on small screws, trust one thing to do it, trust a flimsy thing. I mean if you are gonna fit it through a roof joist (iron hook on bottom, bolts through) you would have to plan it very carefully because if you leave holes in the joist becuase you don't in fact want it there you can't be sure what will happen.

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Damn optical illusions, I was sure this was a thread called "Kicking a handbag".