hangetsu dachi -Bad For Knees?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by TheAngle, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

That's all I was referring to, and I know what I said does not refer to the OP, but the way you come across talking about Sanchin does not suggest that you practice it along these lines, in other threads as well....
    I'm not looking for a heated debate, I'm just trying to point out the proper use of Sanchin, what you want to use it for is fine, but it doesn't mean it's what it was developed for is all I'm saying, as you seem to think the point is here too
    Shotofan wasn't too far off, the tension develops your body, just not so much the explosiveness.

2. Theforgotten

Theforgotten Drifting Aimlessly

I've done the stance a few times while training with Goju-Ryu guys and it doesn't seem to be good for the knees. I guess that maybe over time your body adjusts to it and it is not so bad. The few times that I did it, it certainly didn't seem like something that I would want to do for a long period of time. Just my $0.02.

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

There's a method behind the madness that is Sanchin kata. I recently read a piece on hojo undo in the latest CFA magazine where it mentions that it is very important to train Sanchin kata along with your hojo undo as that's what interlocks your karate to your strength training (not exactly worded like that, but from what I recall that was the idea).

Sanchin kata and other dynamic tension kata like it are fantastic for power development. From my own experiences, every dojo I've attended, visited, or heard about that greatly emphasized Sanchin kata has produced some very powerful karateka. The tension training does play a huge part in this.

For the lower body, the tension shows you how to go from immobile to mobile quickly, which is important in karate. Unlike boxing, when a karateka strikes with his reverse punch the idea is to almost make your body an immovable object right when you strike, so you get that shock into your blow. It's like your opponent's running straight into a wall, though the wall is your fist. Sanchin kata training can give you this rootedness.

For the upper body, by acquiring a high degree of control over your tension can really improve the power of your hand strikes as you start to see where that subtle fine line is between the initiation of your punch when it stays relaxed and the moment just before impact when you want that tension there.

There's many physical benefits to Sanchin kata, too many to go too into detail here, but in regards to Sanchin kata and explosiveness, Sanchin kata can help. Without getting too technical, the stronger a muscle is the faster it can go. Since dynamic tension is a form of strength training, it does help. If you're working against resistance, then remove all the resistance and do that same movement, you can do it faster. A powerlifter may not be able to squat 800 pounds very fast if it's heavy for him, but make it 400 pounds and he'll be way more explosive with it than the average guy.