Handicap doesn't equal helplessness ..

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by KickChick, Jan 13, 2006.

1. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I found this article over at the Disabled Artists Network.net.

I was reading about this woman Dena Le Blanc a poet & artist who has Ataxia, which is a degenerative nerve disease makes wheelchair use a must .. but this hasn't stopped her !

[​IMG]

... and here is Dena learning martial arts

[​IMG]

2. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Inspiration

Very inspirational KickChick. Thanks for posting it. IMO there is no such thing as a "disabled" person. Some of us just have to improvise a little more than others to accomplish something. Those who accomplish truly great things while overcoming serious adversity, are living examples of what the human spirit is capable of. "Can't" is the most vulgar four letter word there is. It shackles the spirit. As my Mom taught me, "If you can dream it, you can do it." :)

3. We had a guy that desparately wanted to train with us who was in a wheel chair. He had a few private lessons. It was a challenge adapting a kickboxing syllabus to a guy in a wheelchair, but it can be done!

4. texas doc

texas doc Valued Member

Great link, thank you for posting it.
    Years ago I was in a class with a blind student, and he was one of the most dedicated students in the group.
    It was a learning experience for all of the students and instructors, a constant reminder that nothing is impossible.