Hammer Fist Strike Article

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by splodge, Oct 28, 2005.

1. splodge

splodge New Member

2. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

Not a bad article, but a little limited. The last comment is just plain daft though...sounds like you are just repeating what you've been told. Believe me, its not guaranteed to end a fight and if you've ever cut your hand or knuckles on someones teeth you won't think its worth it afterwards! Especially if you've ever had the teeth stuck in your hand or got an infection from it!

3. DCombatives

DCombatives Valued Member

The Hammer Fist can be a great technique when properly applied. While the explaination of strike is excellent, the application in the article is kinda poor in my opinion. Hammer fists are best used in place of a traditional backfist and are great clearance strikes when caught unaware from the side or back. Instead of using a Hammer Fist later in the middle of a combination as the article suggests, I would rather see it used at the beginning or end. For example, say you are at an ATM and as you are putting your card back in your pocket, you are threatened from you left side by someone who's demanding your money. For the sake of argument, we'll say it's broad daylight, you can see both his hands, and he doesn't have a weapon. As he reaches toward you, you can launch a Hammer Fist at his jaw hinge or temple, following thru, and "pulling" yourself into a combat stance facing him. You can then immediately follow up with whatever technique combo you like or go to grappling if that's more your style. Hammer Fists can also be effective as fight finishers, for example when you have a guy doubled over you can deliver one to the brainstem area. It's possible to kill a man this way, so this application should only be used in deadly-force scenarios. Another good place for Hammer fists is from the top position in a grappling scenario, whether from the mount or while in someone's guard. Overall, not a bad article about a technique that's seldom used. It certainly gave me something to think about.

4. BRECKDOG

BRECKDOG Valued Member

I saw this technique on a Rodney King (Straight Blast gym) semiar- he demonstrates a hit to the side of the neck (which is not defended in normal striking defence) - and he puts guys down with it or at least makes their legs go for a split second.

5. splodge

splodge New Member

Thanks for your comment. From my experience if it is performed correctly it does end the fight and I have cut my hand doing this technique is a real situation, thats the main reason I set this scenario as I did and made the comment about taking a cut on the hand. The same thing can be said for a regular punch though as I am sure you will agree when you strike at a moving head sometimes you hit the teeth when you are aiming for the chin or nose for example.......and you get cut, seems part and parcel of a fight to me but I do appreciate your feedback.

DCombatives: That is a nice scenario you have set up there and what that I will practice through with my class, thanks for the insight and I agree the hammerfist can be used at any point of a sequence effectively and is a much under used tool.

BRECKDOG: I too can vouch for the effect that this strike has, my Sifu has used this a NHB fight and broke the guys collar bone.........ouch!

6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

When applied hard to the fontanel the hammer fist can be deadly.

Another advantage, and one that made it a staple in bare-knuckle boxing, is that you can hit someone hard with it in the head and not break your hand.

7. BRECKDOG

BRECKDOG Valued Member

just went to a Dave Turton Seminar in Ipswich- he listed it in his top 3 techniques- and showed a few applications including (depending on the scenario) to the back of the head, to the nose and off a fence as an initial premptive strike- he should know.

8. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

Only babies have a Fontanel...its the hole in the skull...you usually don't have one for too long... Unless someone hammerfists you a new one :)

9. tellner

tellner Valued Member

OK, fair enough. Where the fontanel used to be.

10. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

:) Sorry Tellner, i was being pedantic.

11. marcus_p

marcus_p Valued Member

Hammerfist demo

Hi,

Here is a clip from a recent open house where SiFu Lee breaks down a technique. At the 20 second mark, he will begin and the pak sau, hammerhand is the second technique.

hope it can add to the discussion.

/Marcus