Hakko Ryu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Graham, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Graham

Graham Valued Member

Anybody any experience with Hakko ryu? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Or anybody know much about the 'retired' instructors? There seem to be quite a few people teaching who are no longer recognised by the hombu, are they generally still worth studying under?

2. giles

giles New Member

I trained in Hakko Ryu before the split, now with one of the spin off groups. The split was over a difference in opinion between nidai soke and others over the direction Hakko Ryu should pursue.

The instructors who left the hombu didn't leave behind any of their ability. If they were good before, they're still good. Go find a class and play.

3. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Its a pretty good style esp if you wanna focus on self defense

4. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Hakko ryu is a modern, traditional form of budo based primarily on Daito ryu aikijujutsu and several other classical forms of jujutsu.

The founder of Hakko ryu, Okuyama Ryuho was an instructor of Daito ryu under Takeda Sokaku and a student of traditional medicine (Massage, bone setting, herbal medicine and moxibustion). He broke away from Takeda in the late 1930's and founded a dojo in Tokyo for Hakko ryu.

Hakko ryu, like most jujutsu ryuha focuses on striking, locking, strangulation and throwing techniques as well as unbalancing and body displacment. Okuyama Ryuho's previous experience in teaching Daito ryu, bonesetting and his extensive knowledge of the human anatomy and it's nerve points ensured that a lot of the Hakko ryu techniques are extremely painful to experience.

Since it's a modern form of budo, Hakko ryu awards dan grades, but also for more higher levels of study uses the classical Menkyo system.

5. Graham

Graham Valued Member

Cheers for the info. I'm hoping to start training in Hakko Ryu soon.

6. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Good luck :)

7. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Report back and give a review

8. Graham

Graham Valued Member

Not started yet, due to lifestyle hassles, but wanted to find some books to look Hakko Ryu. There appear to be some, but out of print. And second hand ones are very expesive. Anybody know whats going on with the books, or have any tips on how I can find out more about Hakko Ryu?

9. Graham

Graham Valued Member

Been to a few classes now, so thought I'd report back. This is just the observations of a begininer at a particular school in the UK.

I really had to search to find the school. They don't advertise at all, as they try to keep the numbers down. They prefer one-to-one 'direct transmission' teaching. Like most of the clubs teaching Hakko ryu in the west, they are now split off completly from the Hombu dojo in Japan. Hakko ryu was derived from the same parent art as aikido, Daito ryu aiki jujutsu.

The tecniques seem simple and are exemplified by a small number of kata, both kneeling and standing. However, there are a large number of henka, or variations. The mode of training is gentler than I'm used to, no risk of injury or bruises so far. The tecniques seem all to be controlling, with no hard throws or strikes (at least from what I've seen). People used to the mashing sessions of the BJJA or Jitsu foundation, may find it all too sedate. The emphasis is on good tecnique using releases, locks and projections, not on speed and brutal kicking or throwing.

It feels very effective, at least as performed on me by the Shihan at the club. As an aiki style it feels a little like aikido, but overall the tecniques are quite different both in type and and way of performing them. There seems to be less use of flowing and spinning, and more 'direct action'. It seems like the strenghth of hakko ryu is in its joint locks and ground imobilisations.

I like it. And they spell jujutsu coreectly which is a bonus.

The don't do randori or sparing or bare chested lard wrestling. If you want to argue about how it must be rubbish becasuse of that please start another thread.