hacking at the hinges

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by d33pthought, Dec 4, 2004.

1. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

is getting your knees messed up a standard-issue injury for martial artists? They've been aching for a while, but just the other day started getting better. Now, all of a sudden, they hurt as much as ever. Arg.

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Gotta say its something I hear of a lot. I have some problems with my knees these days - I think its because of kicking empty air over the years...could be wrong though...

3. SparcZ

SparcZ That's flexibility!

Work on your strength by doing squats and lunges. Make sure to stretch and give your knees a break. I have tendonitis on one of my knees and the last month have been more focussed on strength training and only going to class twice a week. My kicks have gone from waist level to head height in a month and they are more powerful and balanaced. Make sure to stretch them in all directions to balance out the flexibility.

Cheers!

4. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

I do stretch alot. I just started working out again, too, but I thought It'd be best if I laid off the leg exercises, actually. It's really the tendons just below my knee that are the problem, not the knee itself. I hope.

5. Funky Phantom

Funky Phantom Valued Member

Maybe you could try getting some cod liver oil capsules to help with join lubrication. If you don't fancy that then there's a few other things similar to that out there that should also help with joint lubrication, it might be worth a look.

6. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

I'll check that out; thanks! I might be able to find something good among my dad's myriad dietary supplements: he's all into essential amino acids and the like, so there's bound to be something good.

7. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

You need 2 things:

1. Cod liver oil, chondrotin or glucosamine sulphate supplements
    2. Squatting

:D

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

It's pretty standard fare- but no more so than for, say, rugby players.

9. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

Rugby...don't they wear those headbands so their ears don't come off or something? I'll stick with the simulated fighting game, thanks :D