Hackers at MAP - what to do?

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Thomas, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I have received two e-mails in the past few days about hackers trying to get into my MAP account (after 5 attempts, it gets locked for a while). I appreciate the 'heads-up' but am unsure of what I should do with the info.

Help?

2. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Not a hacker, but I suggest starting with changing your password.

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

It's a brute force attempt at getting to your password. MAP has built-in protection against that in the form of a limit to the number of attempts that can be made. As long as you have a strong password, you're well protected against this type of attack.

4. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

well thats really messed up, who would do such a thing? someone you know personally maybe?

5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Nah, it's all automated hits, mostly from China. I can't think why anyone would deliberately choose MAP as a target, it's not like there's much personal information available here!

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It's because they want me. So bad. Sorry.

7. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It's that Nottingham accent, it brings the ladies to the precipice of the ruckus.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

There are automated scripts that look for characterstic html that shows the login form of popular software (stuff like Wordpress, Drupal, VBForums etc) and just tries over and over again to log in from a long list of common passwords. Often, in response, software like ours will stop accounts that try to log in lots of times in quick succession to stop this kind of attack.

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

You should get an email with an IP address in. If it's repeatedly the same IP address, I can block it on the server's firewall.

A lot of the time though, the IP's are other infected servers and change every day. If its different every time, blocking the IP is like running water up a hill with a rake :(

11. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

The real life modern ninjas angry at how we treat the ninjers?