guy i know is allowed compete & graded but does not train with them !

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by musical forms, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musical forms

musical forms Valued Member

i have puzzling question i can not find the answer to
    i know this guy he compete with itf taekwondo federation he has lots of medals
    in pattern and sparring that bit is ok but he does not train with any of instructors on the federation i mean none because he lives 100 miles away because he lives on island where itf taekwondo is not done he instructors himself by own regard he only 23 years old.

how he is allowed to compete and grade with no instruction from federation at all and compete international with them on team events the last time he got instruction 15 years of age he from Spain what i know he became instructor for them but do not train with them but is allowed grade and compete

can any one tell me how this done and he is it allowed he allowed this every tkd federation he allowed the same previlaged the 2nd time done it in 2nd tkd federation so he has allowed twice already .

can any in the world how this is allowed because stumped he allowed such freedom to do what he likes .

2. musical forms

please some one help me with my question surely some one can help with this question

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Well if he competes and places he clearly has some level of skill would you not say?

Why does this worry you so? His training has no impact on yours, and if he is so far away how do you know what he is and is not doing?

4. musical forms

becasue i used to be freind not any more i have not spoken in 2 years .i am just woundering why he allowed to this and he allowed to get away with it

5. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Surely the best person to ask would be the instructor who's club the guy is competing for (ie the guy who is actually allowing it)?

6. musical forms

he has no instructor that what i ma trying to tell you he has none .yet he allowed grade and compete the association .he teaches himself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! patterns at black belt level !

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Ask the person who is sanctioning this
    and grading the person.

8. musical forms

i can.t i don't know who it is .if i did they would not answer me .this guy is European champion this has no instruction since he was 15 years he he racked up dozen of metals even money he was F I T E SPAIN. but no instructor belong to F I T E SPIN taught him
    i asked one guy he said he was allowed becasue he live too far away that he was allowed he graded to 2nd dan with no instructor involved in it AND PASSED !

where i come they that would not be good enough you have travel .yet he was allowed to get away with it he changed organisation he stall allowed to for 2nd time in row

thats not fair

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  9. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Reminds me of me.

Ultimately it is the instructor's call. If he has the ability he is clearly doing the training. Whether or not he is self training or being instructed is fairly immaterial. Generally speaking unless you are getting one on one instruction, at certain levels in certain styles you will always make more progress self training than you will spending the equivalent time marching up and down in class.

Stop worrying about him and focus on your own training.

10. musical forms

but he has no instructor !he not getting one and one ether he using books? and internet thats all. but the question i am asking how he is allowed to compete and grade with them when he does not train even in sparring either.

thats make no sence

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012
  11. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Many many years ago, before the internet, I went through a stage where I just practiced all my karate - forms, basics, sparring combinations - on my own, using a few books, memory and a single video. I had no problem equalling or bettering the standards of my peers when once a month or two i was able to drop into the main dojo for a lesson.

If he's good enough - he should train and compete. It is the instructor's call.

12. musical forms

he has no instructor no no no instructor none no call

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

The moment you start worrying about someone else's training when you're not their instructor is the moment you stop worrying about yours. Personally I'd rather put my own training first.

14. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

musical forms, it seems to me that you are asking about one of the exceptions in martial arts. That exception being someone cross-ranked in a martial arts organization but who does not have an instructor. This kind of exception happens all the time. Generally with good intentions, sometimes just for personal profit, sometimes as something dishonest.

The key is not whether or not it can be done, because obviously it has already happened, but to find out the reason. Most of all, if it bothers you so much, gather facts before making accusations that you may later regret as a total waste of your time and effort.

So you have this ex-friend that trained formally under an instructor in an organization up to age 15. Then, due to living in a place where there was no instructor available, this person found a "loophole" to test and gain rank up to 2nd degree black belt. What this person probably did is meet someone, call this someone "Instructor X". Instructor X was impressed by this young lad and took him under his wing... but Instructor X is hands off and lets this young lad train on his own. In a sense, Instructor X is a sponsor for the person, providing the means to gain rank in the new organization.

This is called "cross ranking" and happens a lot. In many cases cross-ranking is just a way to get people to come into your organization while providing them with a rank, even though they did not formally earn that rank through training in the organization.

Some people are very much opposed to cross-ranking because it leads to people with higher ranks than those that legitimately trained in the organization, yet the person has little or no training time in the organization. It is a bit unethical. Some people have cross-ranked others and later regretted the decision because they thought the person who was cross-ranked would then come to the organization and train to their level by putting in the time... but often that does not happen, people go off and do their own thing.

However, there are cases where cross-ranking has worked out. My Goju-ryu instructor of many years was a Goju-Kai black belt, when in the 1970s, I believe after the death of Yamaguchi (founder), there was a breakdown in the organization, my instructor after years of having no body above him to train him, went under the wing of Higaonna Sensei (Goju-ryu karate) and was graded to blackbelt... from there he stayed in the organization (IOGKF) and continued to progress, now it is almost thirty years later.

It is always questionable when there is cross-ranking involved, but really ask yourself, is this person that you question about really just trying to find a way to continue to train and compete... not really intending to circumvent the system but is just trying to cope with having no instructor around to train under? Is it really good intentions going on and not something malicious or just for profit as you might think.

I don't know the answer, but really this person at 23 years old is living a time of glory, let him enjoy it. Times will come that maybe there will be students wanting to learn from him, at that point, what will he find he has to offer? Maybe he is due for some soul searching in times to come.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  15. musical forms

what is cross ranking i never heard of it Ireland its not allowed but this guy got coached by my instructor for 2 days was very impressed by him he got 2 gold and one bronze .
    he called intelligent compensator in Europe blowing him like balloon

i found some thing weird he must not getting on with the head of of other org because he was not head of org Facebook list at all. so start some where new leave all his freinds behind he knew since he was 15 years old that weird he knows why start again with pill of stranger he does not know or trust

16. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Have you asked your instructor what is going on with this other guy?

Not to trivalize your concerns as you really seem to care about this, but what is it you want out of this? Do you want the guy banned from competing?

And cross-ranking, you will probably have to look it up, I tried to explain what it was in my post.

Could this other organization be trying to use your ex-friend for profit? Maybe he was lured into the other organization with promises of rank in return for him competing for them.

17. musical forms

no i haven't he would not tell me i am not his favourite but he is he not type of instructor answer questions about other competitors
    i want nothing out it i just wondering how is it allowed he can do this not once but twice.
    it would be get rid him out comepetion because i know this personal he not nice guy he has double standards it was 2 years i spoke to him.

18. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Do you think you have done enough for now and let this go for a while until more information comes up? Sounds like you can check facebook for changes.

No body on this forum has come forward with any information about this guy or knows for a fact what is going on. It is all speculation. You want factual answers you will probably have to contact the sanctioning bodies of the competitions and ask for an explanation.

The majority of posters in this thread are honestly suggesting that you focus on your own training and not worry about this other guy.

Sometimes it is best to put in a good effort, do what you can, but then decide it is best to put it aside and just be patient for a better time to bring these things up. IMHO.

19. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

@ musical forms

I don't think that any answer anyone is going to give you will be satisfactory. You obviously have some sort of obsession with this guy. I think you need to sort out your own personal issues with him and once you do that focus on your training and stop bitching and moaning about someone else.

No matter what anyone has told you... you come back with the same broken record. You're there... in his general location. None of us are. So you sort it out... I'm sure you know enough of the relevant people and organization heads to ask the question to.... those of us on MAP who are by and large... thousands of miles away from you aren't ever going to satisfy that itch you're trying to scratch.

You know... your situation reminds me of a t-shirt that I saw in the gym the other day... and it fits... the t-shirt reads:

STFU and train

Pretty simple no?

20. musical forms

i am sorry i have NO obsession on this guy you have no right To say such a thing i am not broken record i curosity to why he allowed it is all .i do not bitch and moan stop insulting me. i did come here to insulted by some one like you. you have no right to insult me none

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.