Guro Dan Inosanto - SILAT

Discussion in 'Silat' started by MxdBag, Mar 28, 2014.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm not saying you are. Simply pointing out that the working definition of silat seems inconsistent.

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I managed to see disc 1 of the 8 DVD set the other day and it was superb. I'd say 8 discs of that would definitely be worth $300.

3. Mr. Thomas

Mr. Thomas Valued Member

Sifu Ben,

Can u give us a review of the entire 8 dvd set?

Do u know what site sells the set?

Are the applications like the hidden techniques of cma, or like superficial cma applications?

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Mr. Thomas, please don't use text speak in your posting. Take the extra few seconds to spell out "you." Thanks.

5. Ben Gash CLF

1. I haven't watched it all.
    2. It's available from the Inosanto Academy site.
    3. My Sifus have never held anything back from me, so I don't really understand what you mean by hidden techniques.

6. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Indeed that is a strange question about 'hidden techniques'.

Most Silat has a different flavour than CMA. What i always learnt.....there are no secrets, it might only be that the instructor doesn't teach certain stuff to the student just because his skill level is not there yet.

For instance if a student is still learning to punch properly, it's no use to learn advanced footwork tactices or timing tactics. Better first learn to hit :)

This is the same for real training or learning from a DVD

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'd lead with the footwork, personally. Better to learn how not to get hit yourself. ;)

8. Ben Gash CLF

TCMA applications are obvious from the movements, what's obvious from the movement to you will depend on your experience and training.

9. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Yes, it depends on your frame of reference. When I see some Bagua I see some typical silat stuff