Gum shield recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Trewornan, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Trewornan

Trewornan Valued Member

I've been sparring reasonably regularly for quite a while now and feel it's about time to upgrade my gum shield. Currently I have a really cheap one I got off ebay - one of the ones you heat up and it's supposed to mold to your teeth. I've also hacked a lot of the back off it with an exacto knife to make it more comfortable and less inclined to hold lakes of spit.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a good gum shield and don't mind paying for quality (within reason) but I'm not really sure what sort of features are most beneficial.

I guess my priorities are, nice wide air channel, doesn't hold spit, comfortable.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

A fitted one from a dentist, or a self fitted one from opro

3. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I've been using the same mouth guard that I got as a orange belt , and that is the same one you have. Since I've left the martial arts for the time being (no choice, college), its still being used effectively for Rugby. It's been around for about ... 10-11 years?

Possibly Shock Doctor mouth guards, they have an insurance guarantee should something happen to you while you're using it.

4. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

I have a Brain Pad mouth guard that I've used for more than ten years and found very effective.

5. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

A fitted one is good and assuming you're in martial arts for the long haul it should last quite a while... unless a couple of your teeth shift like mine did.

If you're looking for boil and bite this is probably the best one I've found to be both comfortable and protective, and it's pretty inexpensive: https://www.shockdoctor.com/gel-max-mouthguard

6. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

I get mine from http://www.gumshields.com/public/ and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Boil n' bite is a false economy IMO, though Shock Doctor are the best of a bad bunch.

7. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Shock Doctor do good gumshields. I've had mine for a good year now and have no complaints.

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i've used shock doctor. seemed to work pretty well and stayed in place. when i started bjj i was all kitted out, with a mouth guard, cup, knee and elbow pads. although now, i don't use anything anymore. lol.

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I like the shock doctors but an adult might as well get a properly fitted one from the dentist