Guitarists - Support Group

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Sam, Feb 24, 2012.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Nope, they're passives.

I do have a bass guitar with active p'ups though. Good for slappin' - lots o' pop ;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  2. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

So I ended up sending the Blackmore Signature back. Nice guitar, but even with the scratch and dent deal I got, I decided it was overpriced for what it was really. Here is my basis for comparison - I have a Mexican Blacktop strat, and it is pretty much the same in terms of fit and finish (but way cheaper, also on scratch and dent). The Blackmore is Mexican made as well, and seems very similar quality in lots of ways. I also have a Indonesian Classic Vibe Squier which I think is pretty close actually (silly how good it is for the price). So it seems really hard for me to justify the big price jump for the Blackmore signature. I can get a scratch and dent USA fender if I want for not much at all more. Or I could mod the crap out of one of the other strats I mentioned.

3. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Could be. I'm not so great with the effects. I have a few, but the folks in my band are always saying things like "that effect is neat, don't know where you would ever use it though", and "that is good, but can you just play it with no heavy distortion, no reverb, or effects?" Basically I end up playing with a AC/DC'ish sort of tone with no verb or effects 99% of the time. Which is fine.

I love effects playing though. David Gilmour is one of my favs, and I like what I can do with chorus, verb, etc. at home. I'm actually considering getting one of those Ibanez guitars with a mini Kaos pad 2 mounted on it (a poor mans attempt at a Muse type guitar), or a Boss guitar synth. Might be neat to see what I could do with one or both of these things...

4. David Harrison

Hey shred-heads :)

I thought I'd give something a little different to try, that can be done by beginners and seasoned pros alike: Dorian blues.

If you can play the harmonic minor, you can play the dorian scale by sharpening the 6th. It makes it sound all chewy and sweet/sour to me, like a gobstopper :confused:

Here's a famous dorian riff:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJNic_XSwBo"]The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Theme - YouTube[/ame]

In my little example, we've also got the blue notes of the minor pentatonic to play with. In the scale diagram below I've colour-coded what I'm playing in the example - green is the minor pentatonic, and the meat of what I play, blue is the blue notes, orange is those raised 6ths that give it a different flavour, and purple is the 2nds which I hardly touch (use them very sparingly!). I've also included the chords I used for the backing, and I've highlighted a particularly fun bit of the dorian/blues scale: a diminished run that can add a bit of a jazzy feel to parts (the purple dots).

Here's me noodling around aimlessly to give you an idea of the flavour. It's not supposed to be great, the phrasing is a bit all over the place, but it should give you an idea if you work more by ear: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mdroy2nqkz6y20/DorianBlues.mp3?dl=0

And here's just the chords, so you can play along and try it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6um05u61soeqeu/DorianBluesBacking.mp3?dl=0

If anyone is up for posting themselves playing along, that would be cool :)

Anyway, I never write or play blues with bands, but I always end up playing blues when I just fiddle about on the guitar, and I thought this might be a fun variation for you guys to try, seeing as almost everyone knows the minor pentatonic and harmonic minor scales.

Let me know if you give it a go :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  5. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Second that, i picked up a CV telecaster, went into guitar guitar in Glasgow for some plectrums and walked out with a classic vibe. Never would have bought a squier but this little guitar is outstanding value.

Baza

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

The joint's a jumpin'. blink me coke-a-cola's and looky wot I've a-missed.

Foistly [​IMG],

I'm surprised - I suppose it the PU covers but they look unusual, to say the least. I'd thou

7. David Harrison

It does have a weird "tone boost" feature, where you pull the tone **** up and it adds a presence boost, but there's no battery. I had the damn thing for a year or two before I even found that out!

8. David Harrison

9. belltoller

Sounds very much like Jimmy Page's modified LP - replaced the standard four volume and control pots with push-pulls that select between series to parallel on bridge and necks, humbuckers to single coil on bridge and necks. Then there's two DPDT's mounted under the pick guard which provide a smorgasbord of reverse-phase, in-series/out of phase, in-series/in-phase, etc., etc.

All from passive electrics, mind you.

To my ears, it has that "tone boost presence" feature that you speak of

Interesting term Presence doncha think? :cool:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okFYLCQtim0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okFYLCQtim0[/ame]

10. belltoller

Aha - we were all wrong - or mostly

"Guitars - Veleno Original (all aluminum), Travis Bean TB1000A (aluminum neck), Travis Bean TB3000 Wedge (aluminum neck)

Amplifier - Fender Twin Reverb (early 70's silver face with a master volume would be my guess, due to the fantastic gain/break-up/overdrive he gets from it)

Effects - Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress Flanger (Paris au printemps), Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Phase Shifter (Old Grey Whistle Test)

Synthesizer - Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 and Pro-One (Old Grey Whistle Test)

I think that's pretty much it.
    "

11. David Harrison

It is!

It comes from the way we hear, as we're most sensitive to the 2-3kHz region. Boost that range and things get a lot more "forward" sounding - or present.

12. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I've worn all me picks down to nubs, lads. :( I'd appreciate your help in finding some that don't wear out easily under a lot of abuse. Thanks! :)

13. InkyTommy

InkyTommy Unique Like Everyone Else

For the longest time, I used copper picks. They seemed to last a bit longer than the regular plastic variety. And you can get them in light, medium and heavy gauge. Of course, the ain't cheap. But they'll last.

[​IMG]

Lately, though, I've been playing half the time with just me fingees after seeing Joe Bonamasa do it. For some reason, it seems to really add a more soulful quality when I play the blues.

But that's helped prolong the life of my picks.

Besides, if it's good enough for Bonamasa, Jeff Beck, Mark Knopfler and Steve Vai...it's good enough for me!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  14. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Buy one of these -> http://www.pickpunch.com/pick-punch1.html

Then buy some plastic sheeting anywhere from 0.5 mm to 1 mm and make your own. If you buy large sheets on line and the punch your picks will end up costing you pennies.

Bonus picks when you have to replace an ID or credit card.

15. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I'm afraid it's not possible to play shred music properly without a pick.

16. David Harrison

I've used the black Jim Dunlop 1mm picks for years. They last me for years, but I do have a light touch - I can't remember the last time I broke a string, must be over a decade ago, and I use .42 to .09's!

In fact, I think I've had my current pick for about 10 years. It's only just starting to show a bit of wear. I think I'm a plectrum freak.

17. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I use Dunlop 3mm big stubbies, they're pretty hard wearing (and great for accurate picking)

18. belltoller

Where did that post come from? Some reason the guitar posts seem to be flickering in and out of the time continuum.

25 years later - an oddly archaic message, apparently never read by its intended reader, is intercepted by the Reformed and Glorious Soviet Imperial Space Bureau on a long-deprecated data channel..." yeah David, I'm compelled by forces outside meself to send you my mint 1957 custom 3 PU Les Paul - the one Steve Marriott's roadie sold to Peter Framton's roadie who bought it from one of Led Zeppelin's road crew who had nicked it from Jimmy's guitar technician at the Heathrow loading dock - the very same. Free - I'll even pay the transatlantic shipping cost."

"Just send me your shipping addy and its all yours"

You gotta know its happened before.

19. belltoller

You got that right. Finger picking only sounds good on a Martin D28 if its Sunday afternoon and one is playing some obscure folk/bluegrass - ish thing recorded on an indie label.

Herco Flex 75 nylon - gets you down that path that intersects heavy, shred, blues and grunge.

20. David Harrison

Thanks for the offer, but I can't stand those dinky little frets :p