Guitarists - Support Group

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Sam, Feb 24, 2012.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

The (natural) minor scale (Aeolian mode) has a minor 3rd, 6th, and 7th. This is a less common minor scale, though. The most common is harmonic minor-which is a minor scale with a major 7th. (leading tone to tonic cadences in minor keys has been popular since at least the baroque)

Did I mention I'm a music theory nerd? I have all the music theory requirements for a music major, as well as band, piano, composition, and a bunch of other things...but I dropped out because uni was way overpriced. So I can answer your theory questions as well. (I got straight As in it except for 1 B :p ) :D

2. matveimediaarts

14 modes if the plagal modes are included. There are more exotic modes too, but they're not common.

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

There's a version of "White Summer/Black Mountainside" - which is DADGAD tuning which I'd tried to learn on and off for what seems like forever and having kids makes things of this nature a luxury.

Lots of parts very second nature but others not so. I've never been able to find a tab for this version - there are lots of tabs for the recorded 'official' studio version, but not for this Royal Albert Hall version.

You happen to know of a tab (sorry, don't read music proper)?

Cheers,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrvfMSYNqBg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrvfMSYNqBg[/ame]

4. matveimediaarts

Afraid I don't, sir. I haven't used tabs in over a decade now. I'm so used to standard notation that tab feels very clumsy and odd to me now. :eek: If you were to hand me sheet music I could tab it out, though. :)

5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'd say the harmonic minor was more common. Natural minor is far more prevalent in modern music.

6. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

What a good thread! I think I may need some support, too.

Today, after two years of nothing, I've got back to my old Washburn guitar :love:
    It's a bit messed up, some of the paint looks scratched and the case zip is completely broken, but there are no problems.
    The amp instead is a disaster. It wasn't so good when I first bought it - I needed something cheap for playing at home - and time made it worse. :bang:

I cannot remember anything! My hands feel so dumb, so I'm just going to play some scales and chords for a few days and see how it feels.
    Going back to beginner isn't that fun :D

7. suman yadav

suman yadav New Member

nice to post the thread about the post of sam

8. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

An interesting piece of software is Rocksmith. It is a computer game similar to Guitar Hero but with a real guitar or bass (my case).

9. matveimediaarts

Perhaps in pop music...I don't follow it. Blues guys tend to favor the natural minor when they use it too.

But in jazz, classical, and quite a lot of classic and contemporary ethic music, (a much broader body of literature and oral tradition than modern pop music, so you'll be studying that if you ever learn theory and analysis) harmonic minor is most common because of the leading tone to tonic.

10. matveimediaarts

I know your pain. I had to take a few years off because uni kept me too busy. :(

11. David Harrison

I have studied theory at degree level. A less western classical tradition centred view of music would perhaps add balance to your "broader" statement.

Even in Western culture, the amount of music recorded (in written and audio forms) in recent years has exploded in volume beyond the classical repertoire many times over.

12. matveimediaarts

Cool :) I've studied theory at degree level too. :) I included less Western music in my statement-
    I'm into ethnomusicology, and university classes don't get into much outside the Western tradition unless you specialize in musicology or something. (my concentration was theory and composition) I had to do a lot of research on non-Western stuff on my own. :) Difficult, but rewarding. I have even taken the time to learn Armenian duduk and zhvi as well as Chinese dizi (bamboo) flute. :) (I know tin whistle too, but that's usually considered a Western instrument) It's really interesting because they are tuned to different standards than Western instruments. :)
    Cheers!

13. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I sold my Telecaster, flanger, phaser, big muff and DS-2. Got £580.

Bought myself a Boss ME-70, it's actually crazy, just had one quick play around so far and I'm loving it.

14. David Harrison

I went to quite an "avant-garde" college ;)

If you're talking contemporary ethnic music, then you have to factor in the influence of the Western classical tradition. I was thinking more of Indian classical music, or Gagaku, for example.

15. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

16. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Pretty cool - I like it. Unusual choice of a song to learn!

I like the Jazzmaster too - I have always thought they were cool looking guitars, but have never owned one. Which model is the one you have? What do you think of it? Can you do much with the trem on it?

17. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

That guitar is one of the 90s Japanese reissues. I have modified the bridge and replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncan Antiquity IIs a bit pricey for me but worth it in the long run.
    When I first saw a JM I knew it was the guitar for me.
    Am quite tempted to get a Jaguar too when my financial situation picks up.

Thank you for the feedback :)

18. matveimediaarts

19. matveimediaarts

Oh, btw-I recently got a hulusi. :) Pretty neat little gourd flute. :cool::hat:

20. wcrane

wcrane Valued Member

Got my tickets to see Tomatito in San Francisco March 12. Pretty damn excited about that!