Guitarists - Support Group

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Sam, Feb 24, 2012.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

[​IMG]

2. belltoller

I'd an LP that I played all the time - loved it - the feel was just right; that before psycho ****-head smashed it. Which left me with a tele - which just dern't feel right - don't enjoy playing it to the point I've left off playing for quite some time now.

I suppose some are more flexible.

3. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

I love LP's, i have a black beauty 3 the Epi version. It was the guitar that made me want to play, always preferred 24.75" scale however i also love tele's at 25.5" i believe.

On another note i acquired a 20 year old Jim Deacon 12 stringer last week. I know nothing of these guitars whatsoever and always associate Jim Deacon with strings. I hear he was a reputable luthier at one time though.

A elderly neighbour of mine recently passed. I tuned an restrung the guitar for him now and again. Anyway his wife was potless and pawned the guitar. She gave me the ticket and told me if i wanted it to get it out of the pawn, it cost £100 so i thought it was worth the chance. Plays beautifully.

Would any of our knowlegable folks on here be able to tell me anything about the guitar if i posted some pics? found nothing so far searching on the web.

Baza

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It's not about being flexible for me. Every guitar makes me play a little different, and inspires me to play different stuff. I've got a horrendous guitar that I got free years ago, I just stuck a random selection of old strings on it (E A D D G, I believe) and whack it into weird open tunings. It's both the worst electric guitar I've played and one of the most fun.

I love Tele's though, as long as the neck isn't too thick.

5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yeah, bending up 4 fret's worth. The third is what makes a chord major or minor.

6. belltoller

Cor...how's it play?!? I loved the tone that P. Frampton's had on "Do You Feel" Does yours have a Bigsby? Is this the one? Man, that looks nice. Fitting description - Black Beauty.

[​IMG]

My bad - I see - bending from the root to the major. Not bending the major.

Now you're talking my language! Yeah, I love(d) doing that - alternate tunings - eastern tunings, mixing up the string order ( have heard that Hendrix did this as well ).

I thought I'd really enjoy the telecaster - as I love hearing others play it - don't know exactly what it is - I've never owned a Strat, so I can't compare to that one.

7. belltoller

Speaking of the telecaster ... I'm wondering if the fact that I've got it strung with Ernie Ball Super Slinky 223 Customs (I've a ton of them left over from when I had a Paul) has anything to do with its meh playability.

Really makes playing a LP a joy but after thinking about it, might not for a tele.

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I'd have found them rubbish on a Lester, indeed should be better on a Tele.

9. Rhythmkiller

No bigsby mate. The one in the pic Is either custom or fitted. Never seen a BB with a Bigsby as standard and the BB 3 is custom anyway, three humbuckers. In fact the only LP's I have seen with a tremelo as standard are the ultra rare hollow body specials.
    The guitar itself great but not the best LP I've played (that honor goes to my chameleon LP) but it is gorgeous but like all LP's you get one in 20 that can't be matched.

10. belltoller

Rubbish? on a Les Paul?!?

[​IMG]

Well, I suppose you don't fancy coke in your rum either; but to each their own.

But why you think them ideal for a telecaster?

11. Rhythmkiller

I use super slinky's on all my LP's

Baza

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Better on a tele because it's got the string tension to handle lighter strings. I use Elixir these days, but in equivalent terms I use hybrid slinkies for most of my guitars in standard tuning or drop D, and regular slinkies on my LP clone.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  13. csoby

csoby Valued Member

I miss my Les Paul... I had an Epiphone Les Paul in Honey Burst. I had put DiMarzio pick ups in it and it sounded and played great. However, when I started playing in the band I was switching off between that and my Strat. I kept having to adjust the volume as the Les Paul was a lot louder and so I ended up trading it off for another Strat.

As far as strings I have always loved Dean Markley Blue Steel's in 11s. I have moved up to 12s now as I play a lot of acoustic and have gotten used to the heavier strings...

14. belltoller

They are almost synonymous with the Paul in my mind. Interestingly, I never tried regular slinkys.

Ah man, I'll bet it sung with DiMarzios! I would of told the drummer to start lifting weights and use 4 sticks; the bass player to get a three hundred firfty watt heads, some 8 X 10 cabinets and boost his mids; the singer to take opera lessons, before I got rid of the LP, lol.

Seriously, I've heard that's why Geddy Lee sings so high as that was the only way to cut through the volume of the instruments.

15. csoby

csoby Valued Member

Yeah it sounded great... the Les Paul had a Super Distortion in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. My Strat has a DiMarzio Cruiser in the neck, Standard Pick up in the middle, and a DiMarzio Fast Track 2 in the bridge. It has a good sound but it just wasn't as loud as the Les Paul.

I have gone through so much equipment. I still feel the best sounding setup was when I had a Peavey tube head, 60 watt, single channel. I don't remember the name but it sounded great going through the bassist's spare Ampeg 4x10 cabinet.

The worst sounding amp (in my opinion) was anything I paired with the 5150 cabinet I had. Currently I have a Vox VT50 or something like that. A semi tube (tube preamp) modeling amp. It sounds pretty good and get really loud *laughs* but it has a variable output control so you can dial it down to be more of a practice amp as well..

16. wcrane

wcrane Valued Member

For the past year I have been taking lessons. Tonight I will be performing for the first time as my teacher is hosting a student recital, student guitar showcase, as he calls it. Needless to say I am some what nervous. I took lessons for 5 years or so back in the 70's when I was a kid. The next 35 years or so I was pretty much consumed with Martial Arts, Still loved music just not playing. About 7 years ago I decided to take up Guitar again as a relaxing hobby. I mainly downloaded tabs to Spanish classical songs and learned them. I started lessons to pick up more fundamentals so I could play more improv with friends, learning how to play within the various keys, something I never learned earlier. Tonight I will play a song I wrote, A Flamenco Chill tune.

It's funny that during my Martial Arts career I did demo's and taught at camps and seminars in front of hundreds of people, but tonight I will be as nervous as a white belt playing music in front of a few. Wish me luck.

17. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

I have a little fun playing here and there. Been so busy lately I haven't had much chance to play on a regular basis. I've got an electric and an acoustic. My electric is an Epi Les Paul Standard Pro and acoustic is a Washburn D10s. On the electric I like to play classic hard rock like Black Sabbath. Those guitar riffs are a lot of fun. The last song I learned was Sabbra Cadabra. I got to see Sabbath in concert here in Tacoma several months back. It was amazing. On the acoustic I play mostly cowboy chords (open chords). I was playing for my infant daughter this morning but she wasn't having it. Lol. Started crying a couple minutes in as if to say "Why do you hate my happiness Daddy? Why?" haha. I was playing Neil Young Old Man and she wanted nothing to do with that noise.

18. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Good luck! How all goes well!

19. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Sabbath is one of my favorite bands. Saw them as part of OzzFest (2005 I think) with all the original members and they were great. Cool deal on learning Sabbra Cadabra - that is a really cool one!

Well Neil Young, that's yer problem right there..:) Imagine how much worse her reaction would be if it was actually Neil Young playing the song.

20. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

Right on! Love the original members. Toni Iommi is inspiring.

Haha so true. He really mastered the art of singing through the nose. :)