Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by John R. Gambit, Apr 21, 2012.

1. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

[​IMG]

For anyone interested, I will be playing GW2 next weekend (27th-29th) in the preorder "open" beta weekend. I will be playing with one of two large guilds I play video games with. Anyone who preorders the game from the appropriate vendor should receive the preorder beta code to participate. If you order a boxed copy from Gamestop, in person, you put $5.00 down and then receive the code, with no obligation to return to the store to purchase the game on release day should you not enjoy the beta experience.

Anyone is interested in joining me, send me a private tell.

Official Site:
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

System Requirements:
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/game-faq/#four

Yogscast videos on Youtube from the press beta weekend:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA6TPoWWdV0"]Yogscast - Guild Wars 2: Warrior Spotlight - YouTube[/ame]

2. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Really kicking myself for not having the money for a gaming PC!

Played the first GW and fell in love with the game. And from what I've seen of GW2 and its manifesto it sounds pretty exciting and revolutionary in its approach to fantasy MMO. In fact from the press releases it looks like they've managed to circumnavigate a lot of the design pitfalls in fantasy RPGs.

Enjoy John!

3. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I won a key for this weekends beta so will be online myself.

What guild are you in?

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Sadly haven't got the money to pre order but I've been following TB and the Yogscast's stuff on it for a little bit. Be my first foray into mmo and it looks cool. Let us know how you all find it

5. John R. Gambit

One clan I play with is a multigaming clan focused on casual play called Old Timer's Guild, where the requirement is to be 25 or older. This is the clan I'll be spending most of my time with in beta because I am unfamiliar with this chapter. I play with another chapter in a game called Darkfall Online presently. The other clan I play with is Toxin Gamers, which is a more FPS-based clan and tends to be more hardcore. Both clans have players all over the globe, and OTG is far larger but not as effective in PvP. Generally, OTG has a higher caliber of very well-educated, cool guys though. Toxin has several professional gamers in it, and we tend to dominate the PvP in every MMO we play. I'll probably be actively recruiting for Toxin on release.

6. Unreal Combat

I think I remember OTG in Guild Wars.

7. Falcord

Falcord Valued Member

I've been following the development of GW2 to the smallest detail (almost obsessively) and ended up deciding it I won't play it. I don't have the time... Wish I did.

Enjoy your time there! I might pick it up this summer.

8. Unreal Combat

You don't neede the time. There's no subscription. Play when you have it.

9. Falcord

Falcord Valued Member

It's more complicated than that. I have an obsessive mentality. Whenever I like something, my entire life revolves around it unless I make a great effort to avoid so.

I've experienced that obsession with a couple games and it's not pleasant. I prefer to focus it in studies or... Martial arts I guess?

But that's just me; not saying that videogames are bad, much like a sole booze isn't if you're a healthy drinker, while it can be devastating for an ex-alcoholic =).

10. Unreal Combat

Fair play mate, and kudos for holding yourself back from an obsession. I know that cannot be easy. :)

11. John R. Gambit

I will be playing on the Isle of Janthir server in about 2 hours time. Once I have a character created, I'll try to come back here and post up my character name for anyone who would like to join me.

12. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

A friend of mine really loves this game and is encouraging me to get it, but I still don't get what it's about and what is so great about, from what I understand it's an RPG, would you call it a multiplayer Skyrim? I looked at Gamespot/ IGN to try and get an idea of it, but looking at some of the races the story and so on, it's all a bit much to take in. The only subscription based online game I've likes is EVE, never really liked the WOW stuff.

Could someone just sum up this game, to explain what it's like and what's so good about it? Basically sell it to me. (I know it isn't subscription based).

13. Unreal Combat

I think what makes Guild Wars 2 so good is the completely different approach to the MMO genre it's taking. It's trying to make the game as fun and accessible as possible, while retaining an open persistent world with dynamic events. It also does away with the Tank/DPS/Healer mentality and instead tries to make content accessible to all no matter what class you play.

Eve is a very different beast which is what makes it so successful (I was going to say popular but that's not really what I think of when I think of Eve, despite it's success) to other MMO's. I think in this respect Guild Wars 2 follows a similar trend. It does something different enough to set itself apart from other MMOs which are just cut and paste clones of Everquest or World of Warcraft. It takes alot of what's good from Guild Wars, alot of what's good from some other MMO's, blends them together, gets rid of ageing formulas and then throws in some nice new ones.

Honestly, I played it through the first BWE and for me it's a day one buy. I was skeptical about it because I knew it would be alot different from Guild Wars and I'm not really into other MMO's, but it sold me day one I tried it despite obvious Beta nuances.

I think it also has a great team behind it who love their project, love what they are creating. They are very dedicated to their community and the community is pretty dedicated to them. One of the better communities I have played in.

With no subscription fee, and none of this buy to win crap, it's pretty hard to not want to try it even if you're not overly keen on the genre.

14. CrowZer0

Thanks, but I meant more in terms of gameplay, what do you actually do? Is there a main quest/story? I know there's some pvp and pve stuff, what is it like the same stuff we would usually do in a rpg? Is it unlimited? Can you do everything? What sort of variety do you have? How long can/do people play it for in terms of hours in a day and in years?

Like if I was trying to explain EVE, I would say it's set in another Galaxy, where it's pretty futuristic, where you are the leader of your own ship, you choose a race and go and follow a major career and you can never max out every skill available, as people who have been playing it for over 10 years haven't even managed to do that, I would mention how an alliance spent something like 20k building a titan, then had someone else inflitrate the alliance for a period of over 1 year, then sabotaging and destroying a base which cost time and money of over 20k!!!

That really got me into EVE, but I had to quit as it was getting tooo addictive, and taking over my life in the sense, I had to see when my skills were done, I had to go on mining ops with my federation... A little bit like Travian that's the most intense, stressful yet satisfying game I have ever played!

15. Unreal Combat

I think the Guild Wars 2 wiki would better answer your question here if I'm quite honest. There's alot of focus on moving while casting/attacking. Dodge mechanics. Underwater combat. More focus on AoE passive ability rather than focused direct ability. Weapon switching for new skills (some skills depend on what weapon is equipped unless you're an elementalist of which you also have elements to choose from too).

Yes. Everyone has their own personal story which is based on choices you make when you create your character and throughout the game.

PvP? WvWvW. Structured PvP and some other stuff (I think Guid vs Guild will be a given). I didn't do much PvP so I'm not sure of other game types.

PvE? It's similar to other games but is structured in a more enjoyable manner. Fetch quests are tied into dynamic events for example so the same encounter can play out differently. It also depends on how many people are in the area. THe more there are the harder the enemies and bosses, which change to accomodate.

Do you mean the amount of players in an area. I am not sure. You'll have to look on the wiki for this one. WvWvW has a rather large capacity in the hundreds.

The idea of Guild Wars 2 is that you should be able to do everything anyone else can (barring class based skill choices) no matter what class you play. You can use any weapon for example, unlike Guild Wars where you were limited to what weapons were viable for your class.

I have not gotten far enough through the game to answer this question. There was plenty to do though in the Beta. Always something going on to distract you. Lots of new things to look for, buy. Areas had alot of variety in them and alot to explore. Caves, dungeons, etc. It was like exploring an entirely new world. Very fun.

That is not something I can realistically answer currently while it is in Beta. Not because I don't want to but because I just don't know. Sorry.

16. Southpaw535

I ordered this today and will hopefully get it tomorrow. First time playing an mmo so I might write a quick post of my impressions

17. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Whoops. Thought this was going to be another Pathwalker thread. Have fun peeing in bottles so you don't miss leveling up guys!

18. CrowZer0

You is Europe, so please Underworld server, we need more people in WvW taking down our evil nemesis!

19. Southpaw535

Oops...

I has question: I have the game on disc so should it have to do that long ass download every time I start it? No idea what to call the thing but its the window with ArenaNet on it and gives you all the news. Is it because I didn't download the client?

20. CrowZer0

No those are updates, the game is constantly patched and updated. They fix known bugs and stability issues constantly. (The dls shouldn't be so long unless there's a major update!) Or if you haven't logged in half a week or so.