GUIDE: Choosing the Right BJJ Gi For You

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Abella Ava, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Abella Ava

Abella Ava New Member

So what bjj gi is right for you? Here's what to consider:

• Not too loose, not too tight
    First and foremost, your gi needs to fit right. If you’re a long-time veteran of the gentle art, you probably already have this down. If you're just beginning your journey, it’s easy to end up with a gi that’s excessively baggy or uncomfortably snug, especially in the pants. That’s because the only reference you have for how a gi is supposed to fit are your everyday clothes. The problem is you don’t normally roll around on the ground in your everyday attire. So when you’re gi shopping, you need to test the fit. Do a full squat to check that you’re pants aren’t too tight. Rotate your arms in all directions to check that fabric around your shoulders don’t obstruct your range of motion. Have a friend grab your sleeves and pant hem to ensure that you don’t have an excessive amount of material. If you can hide a bowling ball up your sleeves, they might be too baggy. On the flip side, you also need to make sure you have enough fabric around your arms, otherwise you’ll get some dirty looks from your fellow training partners over your skin-tight, gripless gi. IBJJF gi regulations require at least 7cm of clearance between your skin and the fabric.

• Length
    The length of your gi is largely personal preference. Many practitioners favor the more traditional style, in which your hems hit exactly below the wrist or ankle joint. Others like their gis a bit shorter. The shorter the gi, the farther your opponent has to reach to get a hold of it. For those long-legged folks, some brands offer “L” (long) sizes, which give you an extra few centimeters without having to look like you’re wearing a tent. However, if you are or plan to be a competitor, your gi has to comply with the guidelines set by IBJJF, UAEJJF, and other promotions. For example, IBJJF requires that the edge of your sleeve be no more than 5cm from your wrist when your arms are outstretched in front of you, and your pant hem be no more than 5cm up from your ankle. If you don’t compete, no need to worry about that. Rock them high waters like it’s 2008 again.

• Cotton versus ripstop
    Cotton is the most widely used material for jiu jitsu gis, but many companies offer styles made with ripstop as well. As the name suggests, ripstop is a durable polyester or polyester/cotton blend fabric that resists tearing better than standard cotton fabric. It also tends to be lighter and resists shrinkage. If you’re a competitor, keep in mind that only your pants can be ripstop; for most promotions, your jacket must be cotton (or a cotton-like fabric, i.e. not ripstop). On the other hand, cotton does shrink when washed in warm or hot water and tumble dried, which could be a good thing, depending on how you like your gi to fit. Many practitioners will buy a gi slightly larger and wash/dry it to fit just so. The fabrics differ in feel as well, both when dry and when wet.

Well what about hemp? Okay, you hippie, yes, there are hemp BJJ gis out on the market today. Like cotton, hemp can shrink; however, hemp is said to be far more moisture absorbent than cotton, and has anti-microbial properties, so it won’t get as much of a “sweaty gi funk” when left in your gear bag or trunk too long after training. If you have the cash - hemp gis are usually a bit more pricey - a hemp gi can be a nice addition to your collection.

• White versus colored
    Again, this is personal preference, and jiu-jitsu gi colors have meaning. However, keep in mind that you might be limited to specific colors by either your academy or tournament regulations. A lot of academies these days limit you to wearing only a white gi during class, so if you’re a fan of color, you’ll have to wait to wear your colored gi during open mats or tournaments. The IBJJF and UAEJJF allow competitors to wear colored gis, but limit your options to blue and black, and your gi top must match your gi pants. Several gi brands offer a wide range of colored gis - from the standard white gi , blue, and black, to red, grey, green, yellow, pink, purple… and even ninja turtle. If you have mad skills, you can even customize your gi color yourself. For example, I had a friend who liked to tie-dye his gis in his grandmother’s wash machine.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2021
  2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod Note: Link removed. Please contact List owners Mitch or Simon for advertising rates. Our terms of service can be found by clicking on the "terms and rules" button on the bottom right hand corner of every page. Thanks.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

We offer easy payment terms.

100% down with nothing to pay later. :D

4. jmf552

jmf552 Member

I used a very scientific method to choose a gi. I signed up as a white belt at my club. The instructor said, "Do you have a gi?"

I said, "No."

He got a gi out of stock. He said, "This is the one you should buy."

I said, "OK."

It is a 100% cotton top with ripstop pants. It has the club logo on the top and bottom. It is made by Toro, which is affiliated with Cageside. Based on my experience with Judo gis back in the day, it seems well made.

One other thing I think people should look for in a gi is the drawstring on the pants. The one I got has a really nice one with "string loops." My experience in the past with Karate' and Judo gis is that a really thin, rudimentary draw string setup is a continual PITA.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    axelb likes this.
  5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

My scientific way of buying a BJJ gi if its your 1st time.

Go to your club of choice.
    Borrow a club gi (some charge others dont)
    Note the size given to you by reception
    Take a photo using your phone of the label.
    Go online and buy a gi with said size.

Sorted.

Sure companies have slight differences but theyre unnoticable differences. Until you start a collection. By that time you know your preferences and go to.

hewho, Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Ask other people in the gym, higher belts usually better, of similar build. I found some brands came up tight on my chunky legs. On the whole there isn't a huge discrepancy.

My coach is pretty good at looking at someone and telling them what size they probably need, I guess after seeing 100s students of different sizes thats something you pick up.