Guard passing ?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Jay, Jun 24, 2003.

1. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

Yo Guys, long time no speak :)

I've been working with the guard a lot lately.

I find the elbows in thighs has mixed results. Usual on someone my own size it works quite well. On bigger guys or people who are focused on winning the technique is less effective.

I also found players who use the closed gaurd struggle to use submissions as well. This is just the obsivation i've made in my grappling time against bigger oppenants (>2 stone on my body weight). I find the bigger guys often use less hip movement and put you under less pressure of submission.

The open guard is a great option, allows a lot of hip movement and set up submissions and sweeps nicely. BJJ guys show the use of this guard excellently.

I personally am not a big fan of the closed gaurd as it limits the movement I have in my hips. I like to keep the guy under pressure all the time, looking to either apply a submission or sweep or reversal to another position (little bit of SBG slipping in there :) ). A closed gaurd I see as more of a rest period. My I set myself up for the bigger guy to pin my hips and start to secure my shoulders and/or head.

Cheers guys :)

Speak again soon

Paul

2. Sambo Master

Sambo Master Banned Banned

Hi there.
    I use a Machado teqnique called the over pass.
    keep your wight on the man pushing his thighs towards his body.
    Dig your elbow in his left thigh so it loosens.
    now you can pass you hand through and around his left leg.
    now you are open to do the same with his right. his legs will be on your shoulders so guard from the choak then flip him over.
    as he is doing a rol backwards you can run round and grab his belt or whatever from behind, pull him intio your reverse guard and choak him out.

This has only worked once with me but give it a try. if you want more detail of even a vidio of it just say

TNX

3. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

Sounds like a good move, I'll have to try that :D

Btw, my all time favourite way to open a closed guard is to have a really tight low posture. Keep good head position, hands in armpits and counter every little hip movement they make. They open their guard to work every time. Now the legs are open insert a knee/double underhook/hip drive/stand up etc etc.

Nathan

4. Jay

Jay New Member

Hi guys,

Sambo : Yeah I like that move I've seen it on the Machado tapes as well, but one thing that I struggle to get my head around is this .. when you pass one arm through their guard - are you not setting yourself up to be triangled ? I know the intention is to have both arms through, but unless you do them at the same time, then surely at one point there will be one in and one out. Or am I missing something ?

Levo : I like it mate - so I let them open their guard for me ? Nice :D Just one point ... I think I can remember from your seminar, that you said your hands should be a certain way when in their armpits to be most effective ... was it that you dont hold their biceps ? I can't quite remember ... too many knocks to the head ! (I can thank Yoda for that !!)

Cheers,
    Jay

5. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

Glad you like it.

For me there's basically two styles of opening the closed guard:

a) "Look, I really want to open your guard. I'm gonna try and jam an elbow and/or knee in somewhere until you let go. Try and stop me"

b) "I don't care if you open your guard. Oh look, I created a situation which looked beneficial for you to uncross your ankles but actually that was exactly what I wanted you to do. Sorry for tricking you like that but now I'm gonna pass your guard".

Both have their uses.

When I have low posture I make sure I have my thumbs pointing up and jam the web of my hand in to their armpit (with elbows tight to their side of course). If you just put the palm of your hand on their bicep it's easy for them to drag the arm across.

Nathan

6. Jay

Jay New Member

Excellent .. thanks Levo.

I'm REALLY gonna have to buy your videos aren't I :D

Jay

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

You mean you haven't? SHAME on you!