Ground Work

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Geordie Boy, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

How much ground work training do you traditionally do within Taijutsu. Would you feel comfortable going against a judo practitioner/or bjj.

2. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

gound work as in wresling (sp) style ground work? .. we do alittle. have do do it for our grade to show a fighting spirit but i wouldn't take on anyone fighting in ground work.. :)

3. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

We do a fair amount of ground work, but that's because my sensei believes that it is important. How much you do will depend on your teacher. I wouldn't feel comfortable going against anybody right now, because I'm still too much of a newbie.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2004
  4. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

I've had instructors that never touched ground work and I have instructors that made sure at least 1/3 of the curriculum covered it. I'm confident enough in my groundwork to go against your average Joe Thug / Barroom Brawler. Against someone who trains ground work all the time? Nope. But that's not why I train.

5. Krazy5051

Krazy5051 Valued Member

Greetings,

Taijutsu' importance in overall ninjitsu should not be overlooked or lapsed in. You can never have enough knowledge of it and you can never stop developing your agility and techniques. As an overall fighter, Taijutsu plays a vital role. To disregard it, is to disregard an important aspect of defense.

Yours in martial arts,

Kid

6. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Agreed,

Its not just about the grappling with the buj, you can still get a variety of strikes in while your grappling, a nice bit of skin tearing always goes down well!!

7. Adam

Adam New Member

You can't really compare a mainly standup-striking style like ninjitsu to the groundfighting expertise of BJJ, submission wrestlers and judo players, "skin ripping" or not. You need to spend a LOT of time fighting on the ground to fight those people on equal terms.
    Other than that, Kurohana is right. You don't need to be Hickson Gracie to outgrapple the common thug.

8. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

hey, in my dojo, i dont think i've seen a technique that didnt go to grappling. (only went one day so far, but i have quite a bit of experience with taijutsu anyway)it is a big part of taijutsu, but whether it is taught or not depends on the teacher.

9. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

Keep in mind, Kagebushi, that grappling does not have to be on the ground and this discussion is on ground fighting. My personal take is that you should learn how to use your taijutsu both standing and on the ground. It is a much better idea to stay on your feet, however, than to try to match a BJJ practitioner on the ground where they spend all of their time training. If I was in a fight with a BJJ practitioner and ended up on the ground, you can bet my first priority would be to get to my feet again. Such is definitely the case whenever I do randori with some of my classmates who are wrestlers.

10. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

well, yeah. thats what i meant. i know it is more than ground stuff, but i slip sometimes(maybe mo). just subtitiute groundfighting for grappling in mine