Ground n Pound

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Acekicken, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

How Do U Practise it
    Use it & Defend it
    ________________________-------------

With a Partner i use a face
    Helmet & He Weres Boxing Gloves.

I also Have a Kick Boxing Bag That I Use on The floor.
    I Practise Knees,Elbows.opean Palms & Closed Fist.

:Angel:

2. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

I take my punching bag and mount it. Put on gloves and throw punches, elbows, forearms. Maybe headbut it. And open hand strikes.

3. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

GnP

I don't do much GnP right now but when I do...

To develop good mechanics for power I use a bag or grappling dummy on the floor.

To deveolp the timing I spar.

As for the sparring, I play around with the usual sparring variables I've identified:

1. Starting position
    2. Duration
    3. Intensity
    4. Techniques allowed
    5. Objective
    6. Equipment

So, for example I might go:

a) Sparring from guard for two minutes, light, just using punches, wearing MMA gloves.

or

b) Starting from from standing for 5 mins, hard, punches/knees/elbows, wearing boxing gloves/elbow pads/kneepads.

or

c) Staring from knees for 3 X 2mins, light, punches, wearing MMA gloves.

or

d) Starting from standing for 3mins, hard, any strikes, wearing MMA gloves/knee & elbow pads/head gear.

and so on......

Make sense?

Nathan

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Do you find this effective?

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

LOL ;)

Okay, how about punching from the prone position, how do you generate power on your back? Or do you prefer a flurry of weaker punches?

From a mount I like to trap one of my opp's arms between our bodies, control their other arm with one of your (usually by gripping their belt/waist band and trapping the arm) this leaves you one hand/elbow free for a good pounding :)

Like to use the bag for ground stuff as well but don't get to do it often as I want to.

Colin

6. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I wouldn't try punching from my back, I think your in two bad of a position to punch from there. It would have to be a flurry of punches. Maybe you could pull them into an elbow......

7. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Mike Crocop has Busted Eye
    Sokets Striking People from in his Guard.
    U can See it in Pride.

8. stump

stump Supersub

I like to use the heavy bag or a training partner with focus pads on the floor and practise shots and combos...

for defence, controlled sparring is the best option....or maybe use big gloves and just go for it. Theres a size issue then using the big gloves but it allows you to have some decent contact....and there's no better way to sharpen your defence than having somebody try to hit you !!!!

9. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

Pgm316
    " Do you find this effective?"

I guess i forgot to say i take the punching bag off the hooks and put it on the ground! I use it like a dummy. Is that what made you ask that?

Yes i find it effective at getting me comfortable at hitting from that position as it feels more natural each time i practice it.

10. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

Just use a training partner - it also gives you a feel for the way they shift and move trying to get out. One thing many people forget is the stomach, sternum and lower ribs. These are all better targets than the face - the face is too well guarded unles you distract them.

As for punching from your back - this can be real effective as you don't need to control the recoil, the ground does this for you.
    Try garbiing thier collar, using the arm to block any offense from them have your arm straight toward thier face but slightly bent and when they try to come down extend shoulder straiten arm - right into face.

Use your sideways movement to get better angles on hitting them in nice soft exposed areas - kidneys, soft bit under arms, the arms themselves - and example of this is bringing the non punching hand across your body. Use this arm to block and move toward the punching side (ie. move your right hand across and slide to the left) then push on thier arms with your blocking arm and try a small hooking motion toward thier lower ribs, or waist area.
    Upon trying this just now - with modified cricket gloves - I have found that getting effective punches in from all ground positions is dependent on you freeing up an arm and blocking / trapping thier arms. Only go for the head if they are very exposed, other wise try to incapacitate them by restricting their breath - punch them in the guts a few times. From the guard it becomes quite easy to punch the stomache but also very easy to get hit there so jump in first and use the momentary shock to roll them over and get to mount.

11. AllOutWar

AllOutWar New Member

USE A FRIEND! SIMPLY EXPLAIN DUDE I NEED TO WORK ON MY GROUND GAME CAN YOU HELP ME OUT? BEFORE HE CAN REPLY HAVE AT IT! SPARRING IS BETTER THAN A DUMMY OBVIOUSLY CUZ YOU'LL GET REACTIONS JUST DON'T LAY INTO IT CUZ IT'S YOUR FRIEND

12. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

But sometimes you are at home or have no partner. Plus I wouldn't want to punch my friend full force in the head often, (let alone elbow, knee, and headbut) even with sparring gloves. That's why we have a dummy.

For pure grappling well yes a partner is a billion times better than a dummy.

13. AllOutWar

AllOutWar New Member

JOE KARATE

"But sometimes you are at home or have no partner. Plus I wouldn't want to punch my friend full force in the head often"

not often but sometimes can be good:D