Ground Game/Fighting

Discussion in 'Judo' started by cluebird, Aug 26, 2007.

1. cluebird

cluebird For various reasons --

After watching some Judo classes and reading up a bit on the subject, I have come to the conclusion that if a Judoka, BJJer, or other ground fighter can get a striker (karate, kung fu) on the ground, then the striker is done. Most striking arts, with the exception of some kung fu styles practice any kind of groundfighting whatsoever. Now I don't want this to turn into an argument, that was just my observation. I come from a 4 year background in karate and 1 year in TKD, and I wouldn't want to face shodan Judoka. The only way the striker could win I think, is if he or she is proficient to the point where a strike can totally take out a groundfighter, but that is a high level striker, and a properly toughened Judoka can take many strikes before going down.

2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

1993 called: they want their epiphany back :p

3. MR G3

MR G3 Valued Member

Wow, you're a genius.

I bet no one has ever thought of this before.

Maybe you could set up some kind of competition to put this to the test. Invite people of different fighting styles to compete against each other.

This sounds pretty ULTIMATE, all this FIGHTING stuff in a kind of CHAMPIONSHIP format. Maybe you could call it the ULTIMATE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP. Oh wait.....some one came up with this idea in the early 90's.

4. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Good observation cluebird!! :)

5. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

It will never catch on.

6. cluebird

cluebird For various reasons --

Yes, yes, I know this has been rehashed many times. It was almost thinking out loud. Probably shouldn't do that online.

7. irishmike

irishmike New Member

its a fair point nonetheless, I am a blue belt in TKD and have trained a little in BJJ and am looking to get into judo. When people that I know ask me why do you want to do judo when you train TKD, aren't they all the same ?I just shake my head!!
    I think alot of people in striking arts know at this stage that they need a grappling art to compliment their standup skills. The ones that do not are usually the most voiceferous opponents of MMA and BJJ.
    I have heard all the arguments about percentage of fights that end up on the ground, but in reality every situation is different. Just the other night a drunk guy in a take away objected to me jumping the queue (I didn't) and went to strike me which I automatically blocked with my forearm, and I raised my other fist with the intention of punching the guy if he continued (he didn't so I laughed it off). My point being that obviously my TKD sparring skills stood to me here and were enough for the guy to realise he had a fight on his hands if he continued. Maybe this would have ended on the ground, maybe not , I'm glad I didn't find out.
    There is room for all styles and people shouldn't be afraid to mix it up and crosstrain (hence MMA). Personally I love TKD, the patterns, sparring , traditional stuff like board breaking, the flexibility improvement. I would even say that sparring a few rounds of TKD is more exhaustive than my experience of BJJ (limited I know)

8. UrAsJ

UrAsJ New Member

What if Gene Lebell would fight that boxer who trash talked the martial arts...What would happen then...? Hmmm....

9. TnJudoplayer

TnJudoplayer New Member

Gene wins by choke or one of his unorthidox subs.

10. UrAsJ

UrAsJ New Member

I think he won by choke.