Ground fighting techniques

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Orang Jawa, Aug 19, 2006.

1. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

what makes you assume you will be wearing skates when you get in a fight? I don't really believe if I had fight on ice it would be anywhere near a rink. I still bet on the boxer.

There are hundreds of different factors to consider in a fight, you can't train for all of them. The best you can do is become proficient in stand up, clinch and ground.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  2. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

Well..I don't assume you are wearing skates, it worse when you are wearing sneakers, dress shoes on ice. It show you are never been on Ice ring.

You can still bet on the boxer. That's okay with me. But ask any boxer to walk on ice with their sneakers and dancing around. I will bet they will refuse to do that. Again, martial arts is a tool, use it wisely. A tool can be so helpfull for you if you using it for what a tool is design for.

As in a sport, you can't dress baseball and the game is hockey. Its totally different ballgame.

You can't assume all your bjj/groundfighting techniques will work in any situations.

However, I would be interested to see what you can do. I'm willing to learn from the master, I assumed it is you.

One of my student lived in Nyack, he studied Tai Chi for over 23 yrs prior to study with me. He comes every Friday to my house and once a month I will be in Paramus for my business. Usualy I stop at his house to do a little warm up practice. Would you be interested to come to practice with us? Friendly practice I may say? You can show us how your BJJ and groundfighting will work against all odd. After practice we can go to the chinese buffet, how about that? You can contact my student. his name is Gerry Schiela his email address is: gerradvv@yahoo.com
    BTW, do you have a twin brother name Mark?
    I'm willing to listen and to learn.
    Warm regards,
    Tristan

3. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

And then you're all going figure skating :p :rolleyes: ???

4. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

go figure! he he :)

5. Orang Jawa

LOL! Take a joke a side, you got to respect figure skater. Its another sport that demanding the stamina, balance, agility and verstality. :)

Ice, mud, unlevel ground, carpet are not the same base and we should acknowledge and aware of it. But to assume that's all the same thing is foolish. As we have discuss before, the art of fighting is like playing a chess. The "what if" scenario must be practice over and over. Do not assume everything.

The problem is, too many keyboard warrior on the martial arts forms. They can articulate any movements, they can defend any stuations. However, based on my experience, only few of this keyboard warrior can perform.
    Martial arts is not a video games, Is what you do know about it, but what you can do about. Is not about talking but doing.
    Practice, practice, and perform...
    And I could be wrong too,
    Tristan

6. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

the first(and last!!)time i went ice skating i couldnt stand up for more than 5 seconds! man those skaters must be strong.mas tristan mentioned the "what ifs" for me when i practice my silat i base my training on the what iffs,on the unpredictability of combat,thats where i gain my enjoyment from my silat practice,creativity! baby body baby mind my teacher would say :)

7. firecoins

Now you may have noticed I said it is necessary stand up, clinch and ground. Silat is an excellent form of stand up. Wish someplace around here taught it. BJJ just covers ground and some clinch.

I don't take challanges. I am not claiming to be a master. How is a challange "friendly"? On top of that your email address isn't working.

My dojo does not spend anytime in an ice rink in case we get in a fight in one of 2 in Rockland County NY. I have not seen any dojo practise in a bar/pub which seems to be where most fights occur. Of course in would not be realistic unless you had a couple of drinks bfore practise.

I take tai chi also. Did Linda teach your friend how to fight on ice?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  8. Orang Jawa

AhA! So you are coming then? If not why you are keep talking?
    I did a one seminar in Rockland County at Tom Clifford's School. So you can ask him my worthlessness..:)
    I have a closed my silat website, this is my email address: tristandsc@yahoo.com.

Please feel free to come to join us, no body will get hurt, that's my word of honor! I just want you to show me what you had been saying all along. I want to learn :)

I don't think Gerry studied with Linda, I think his teacher is now deceased.
    Email me, if you please,
    Tristan

9. firecoins

1. Tell me what you think I am saying.

2. If you want to meet come to the Clifford Academy. Show me what your talking about. Your the one who wants to meet up, come to me. Sit in on a BJJ class.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  10. firecoins

In this situation you are finished, if you grapple.

11. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

its the drunk bit that bothers me in this scenario,drinking and fighting dont mix for me! when im drunk i laugh! if i wasnt drunk when this scenario was played out and it was just one on one i would be quite happy to have a bit of a play around on the ice,a scrap is just a scrap if one on one and no weapons involved.one thing to avoid doing is getting up face first and getting booted in the face.i used to go out and train on the ice,practice my postures getting up and down,its very hard to keep your footing(not as hard as ice skating imho) so i would think that the best bet is to stay right where you are and let the fly come into the web :)

12. Orang Jawa

So you are Tom's student?
    Tom that I knew is very respectfull martial artist. I met his black belt students during the clinic and they were all very humble and respectfull.
    Are you there? I may have to call him about you Brian. Should I? The truth shall set you free. ;)
    Thanks for the email, you sound so different on PM than on the MAP list :confused:
    Tristan

13. firecoins

that depends on the program, he has 2.

If your going to train for specific situations isn't good to be proficient in at least 1 form of MA first? You were in the army? So you knew certain situations that you would be in...sort of. Well you knew that no one was going to be mugging you for your wallet or a bar fight unless you had a fight with other servicemen. You probably knew you wouldn't be fighting hockey players in a rink.

I don't anyone who takes BJJ to look good, okay I take BJJ to look good. I think I look awesome in a gi. I heard women like men in gi's.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  14. rizal

rizal Valued Member

ok...that's it...meletus gue!
    look guys, the thread is talking about groundfighting in silat. Some techniques have it, some don't. And THERE ARE situation where we are forced to the ground (we might DO NOT want to go there, but unfortunately your opponent DO -or- WOOPSSS!!, don't see that patch of mud/ice/water there).
    Although I did learn some groundfighting techniques from my friends, in my Silat experience, we will have the 'flowing' situation where we end up at most in a kneeling position, locking the opponents.
    To those who raise their hands, "what about bar/street fights": my suggestion is look for muntah/tai/other offal and make sure your opponent face meets it. It is a great equalizer. :D

Now about the meletus
    Tristan, I have much respect for you, yet your behaviour is out of line. This forum is meant (at least as far as I get it) so those who knows CAN TELL those who don't. It is not those who know CAN RIDICULE those who seems to lack knowledge.
    Fine, if you do have experience in mud/ice/etc. then please, DO TELL. Just because a guy is learning silat from video, it doesn't we can ridicule the guy. Instead let us show them the path, if the guy is wrong, then tell him, "no, you're wrong, here's the thing bla bla bla". NOT "hahaha you're dreaming, grasshopper. Where do learn? Kindergarten bla bla bla bla".
    Since you seems come from the military: be constructive and/or productive, if you cannot, just S2.

besssssssssss

15. Orang Jawa

whiskey tango foxtrot!
    Out of line? May be...That was not my intention. I'm a straight shooter, it you tell me a story, you have to back that story with facts otherwise my BS bell would be ringing. :)
    You single me out, who do you think you are? :bang:
    Brian and I have resolved our differences, that's the way it is. Suddenly you are coming to stir the mud again?

16. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Ease up fellas ..... ease up

17. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

:D LOL don't get the wrong idea, I was just pointing out a few hypothetical falling over situations :D

But seriously, in the UK getting attacked on a Friday or Saturday night would usually involve alcohol, most probably by one of those types that get nasty after a few beers :rolleyes: Getting attacked at the end of a night out after a few beers is a pretty likely scenario.

:) And for the record, I'm a very nice drunk :)

Oh & I've not had much response to my hypothetical situation...........

18. tellner

tellner Valued Member

I'm just a timid American. I'll have to stay away from the violence-ridden UK :p

19. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

gajah silat,i cant honestly give you a response to your scenario,if i was under the influence i wouldnt have a clue how i would really react,so hypotheticaly lets say that perhaps my training would take over and as ive had groundwork training both eastern(harimau silat/jiu jitsu) and western(wrestling) i would probably atempt to either A) kick his legs to bring him down,or b) sweep him to bring him down,hopefully avoiding him falling on me or at least let him fall on something hard(ground being better of course)and get up as soon as possible, also as a muay thai student/teacher i would escape as soon as i was up rather than risk slipping again or being brought down to a worse position,my priority for any confrontation(where there is a threat of things getting physical) is to escape and "live to fight another day") and not to keep scrapping for egos sake, or for winnings sake,the only exeption of course is a sport situation where i would want to stay and win!,even though i dont mind a one on one weaponless rumble,really the wise thing to do is get out of there asap and therefore not risking esculation of the situation.interesting scenario gajah :)

20. Orang Jawa

LOL! Okay then :)
    I'm a lover not a fighter, older and wiser (I hope), I'd better stay away from all of you violent people :)

Based on my experience as a bouncer, I have never saw or witnessed any martial arts guy won a fight in the bar/night club. However, I have seen many so called " I know Karate" people got clubber before he finish saying that, though :) It does not meant, they aren't. But I have not seen it yet. :)

As far as in a war or a battle zones, I have never witness any of that. I had 14 years experience in Indonesian and Japanese martial arts prior to join the military. Two tour laters, 32 mission behind enemy lines/hot LZ/Indian Country. Not one I've seen martial arts that I know being used by me or others. We most rely on firepowers and sneak behind the centries and finishing it as quick as possible. So when I hear all this so called pendekar, Gurus talking about war or killing and they never been in that situation. I felt like being lied too. I knew, I'm not supposed to feel that way, its a marketing hype, but at the end, I'm the one who have been accused by some as a jinggo boistering, bragging, Rude, and mean person.
    That was my intention, I'm just a straight shooter, or my English is baaaaaad:) For ever its worth, I meant well :)
    No punt intended and my appology if I accidently did.
    My Sunday sermon,
    Tristan