Groin kick?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Weng, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Weng

Weng New Member

I know the Muay Thai fighter's shins are really tough but what about the ankle-foot area?Is it tough enough to make the enemy's groin hurt and make them fall to the ground in pain?

2. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

It takes very little effort to hurt somebody's groin - in fact I have heard about people dying after being kicked in the groin particularly hard.

3. Weng

Weng New Member

What about those wearing particularly tough jeans?

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

What about those wearing particularly tough boots :p

5. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

They'd have to be Iron Crotch jeans... guys who get kicked with a cup on still feel pain.

From what I've gathered through careful research :)p ), even a light tap on the groin can be enough to cause pain, so a good strike to the groin from anywhere can drop a guy.

6. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

Don't Shaolin monks train to take blows to the groin?

I've seen some REALLY eye watering training techniques

7. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Don't feed the trolls....

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Thank you Khun Kao...my sentiments exactly.....

9. redi knight

redi knight New Member

yes, it sure would hurt alot, and im speaking from first hand experience.

it wont neccesarily drop them all the time, a friend of mine was kicked between the legs by some girl, and it hurt him, but he had enough to kick her back, lol, then he went down..

i also heard a story one time : guyA fights guyB, guyB punches guyA in the balls , guyB then walks to his car. but when he gets to his car the guyA caught up , turned him around and knocked him in the jaw and guyB fell against his car and fell down.
    cool.

but ya, kgirl is right, it is a rather vulnerable area, ill just hope i never have to fight her :D , an of course be very cautious about groin kicks, accidental or not, because they do happen lots.. like when i got sacked, that was an accident during sparing.

10. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Just like in the movies (for once,) even a small child can knock out someone frome a good (actually bad) goal kick. The thing is you should treat it as a pressure point, not a regular target. If you hit a guy in the face he probably wont need any major healing or doctoring. If you bust a guy's family jewels he may need to have surgery! The Cajones are a potentialy (read: not that hard) lethal target! Treat with respect!

11. zun

zun New Member

I second that :cry:

Not from what I've seen. The Shaolin Wheel of Life video for instance, monk is clearly struck on the glutes.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2003
  12. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

One of the worst bits of mental conditioning that the media (and ignorant instructors) have committed against Self Defense is the idea of the "crippling" groin hit (thanks America's Funniest Home Videos... do you Brits and Aussies have something like that?). The fact is that YES it does hurt to get kicked in the groin. But it isn't necessarily debilitating (I know that I'm probably preaching to the chior, but I just want to make sure). As crazy as it sounds, in the scheme of things, I'd rather be kicked or punched in the groin than in the arm pit (for example)

An experienced and determined fighter can easily shrug it off and keep going (especially when wearing tight pants and having the adrenaline pumping). I shudder whenever I see someone discussing self defense (womens especially) and hearing someone talk about "finishing the guy off" by kicking him in the groin. If he shrugs off that kick, it's going to really negativly impact the defender's emotional state.

Now if you crush a testicle that's a different thing (but also pretty hard to do). Or if you stike toe up behind the testicles (in the Hoi Yin point I believe). That's a pressure point stike (and potentially deadly). But that requires a lot of targeting skill.

- Matt

13. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

"Or if you stike toe up behind the testicles (in the Hoi Yin point I believe). That's a pressure point strike (and potentially deadly). "

So if I get kicked in the taint, I die?:)

14. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I thought all groin strikes where pressure point strikes. I certainly felt under pressure last time I got whacked in the meat & two veg :(

15. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

If not die, be in some serious problems. From my understanding it's a combinations of a lot of delicate tissue/blood flow in that area, meridian points, and the fact it's a tough hit for the body to move away from. But someone like Syd can probably better explain it than I can.

I'm not saying that a groin shot doesn't hurt. But it isn't necessarily debiliating. And the male body is actually designed to minimize the striking damage to that area from what I understand.

- Matt

16. C.Henry

C.Henry New Member

On the subject of groin kicks. It has always been a part of my arsenal, HOWEVER,:)Angel:) I have had a couple of street situations and used the front kick snapping upward and hitting with my ankle the results are just not what you would expect and I have always been a very fast, very strong kicker. In a street fight you have more adrenaline and the stakes are higher, it's possible my attackers were high on something, but the shin, outer thigh, solar plexus/diaphragm and head shots have worked consistently. One more thing, a closed fist to someones head on the street is not necessarily a good idea. I broke a bone in my right hand in a street fight and my whole arm went dead.

17. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

i see a lot of talk about ankle-kicking here. the toes will do far more damage to the sacred gems and indeed to the groin-leg muscular area. best to treat em with respect tho as they are the easiest death points on the body to hit.

the grandmaster of my style can fully retract his walnuts into his body (i haven't seen it so dont say anything) and there is a picture of him getting the boot somewhere but i lost it

18. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

LOL! Shin between the Legs Rules!
    Death points my @rse!

19. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

20. redi knight

redi knight New Member

yeah i heard budha monks can retract their 'gems' into their body at will, so they can get hit and it wont hurt...as much, lol