Grip Exercises for Judo

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by FortuneFaded, Feb 9, 2007.

1. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

Hello,

As I’m exercising I’m trying to find a routine i can use to strengthen my grip when i get back into Judo. I believe in the past i saw something about holding a barbell weight and dropping it and catching it between your thumb and first finger but I’m not quite sure.

Any ideas?

2. watts

watts Valued Member

To increase finger strength (and so grip), try finger press ups, do you do those already?

3. FortuneFaded

I weigh 18 stone. I'm proud i can do a pull up and 15 pressups.

4. watts

watts Valued Member

Forget about dropping the weight and catching it though !

Thinking about it, what climbers do to condition their grip is exactly the same principle, so..
    Link1

5. Farmers walks are your friend ;)

6. FortuneFaded

Googlesan was of great use! Such a simple technique! So 2 large dumbells and walk around for 30-70 secs! Sounds great! Any technique tips so i don't do anything silly? Back straight, abs in etc.

7. koto_ryu

koto_ryu Common sense is uncommon

Towel pull-ups will help a lot too, as then it'll really strengthen your grip for handling pliable objects. Pliable objects like a Judo gi, for instance ;)

8. davelee

davelee New Member

A Good One

Forearm curls do wonders, as well as reverse forearm curls, if your intrested in spending a lil cash look into getting a grip master and alternate what you do: grip master 30 times forearm curl then pressups and do them without stopping and do about 3 or so sets.

9. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

Heavy grippers (not the crap you buy from the local sports shop) e.g. captains of crush, thick bar work, farmers walks, pinch grips, wrist rollers, sledge hammer levering

10. Pretty much, or you could just hold them! Trying to find awkward heavy objects which are hard to hold could also be useful. Just watch a strongman event :D

Shrugs also test the grip, as do deadlifts.

11. THUMPER

THUMPER New Member

Do some Work.

Like the other guy wrote: farmer walks.

Do these with 2" or larger handles.

Harder.

Fill 2 military doufel bags with about 75#'s each of sand and just reach down and grap a chunk of it (DON'T use the handles, cut them OFF) and walk. You're hands will be CRYING in short order.

Harder yet.

Play with an axe or sledge hammer. You spend 1 or 2 hrs swinging a 8# sledge hammer or 2 - 3 hours with an axe and you're hands will be sore for DAYS!!!!!

If a neighbor's tree goes down offer to help cut it up. I've done it several times over the years. But use the AXE, not the chainsaw.

Ps: keep the axe SHARP, dull axes are very dangerous!!!

Follow this link:
    http://www.michigan.gov/hal/0,1607,7-160-17447_18595_18605-50722--,00.html

I've been here a few times over the years and if memory serves me.
    These guys would use a 1# heavier axe every season to add 1" to their forearms every year. They were the real popey's!!!

If you don't believe me go introduce you're self to a skinny old farmer who works his land. When he shakes you're hand he will CRUSH it.
    He doesn't play with weights but he uses his hands HARD everyday.

Dave S.

12. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

If you can only do one pullup and 15 pressups, grip exercises are probably not the way to go. Just doing more pullups will help. I sympathise- I used to be able to do 15 pullups, but am down to 3 now because of laziness.
    If you choose to ignore this advice;
    Towel pullups- put a towel over the bar and try to do a pullup while gripping it. When I was doing judo I used to use my gi for this. Try it.
    Farmer's walks- load up two dumbells to something heavy, and try to pick them up and walk with them
    Get a tennis ball and squeeze it in your hand
    plate pinch grips- grip heavy plates and try to hold them edge-on for 3*15 second holds
    I'd shy away from forearm curls, but do them if you really want.
    You could also buy a pair of grippers
    http://www.tc.umn.edu/~keen0018/grip.htm
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson78.htm

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Ditto on the advice for chin ups using your Gi.
    Or chuck your belt over the bar and use that. That's how I do chin ups.

15. Knight_Errant

mind you, you need to be able to do a few more than 1 chin ups just to stand a chance of completing 1 using your gi or belt

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I dunno. Just hanging will do something for you. Just trying a chin up will fire off the muscles you need and help you achieve more.
    Like holding a static handstand will help you achieve a handstand press-up.

17. Knight_Errant

Yeah, I suppose.

18. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I've heard before that handwashing your own Gi is an excellent way to develop grip stength.

19. Knight_Errant

I've had to do that several times because blood just bakes on in the washing machine for some reason. It's not that good a grip exercise, but maybe I'm doing it wrong

20. FortuneFaded

Thanks for the advice. Whilst i'm getting into shape my goal is to be able to do 15 pull ups followed by 30 pushups in a row ^^

Not much to some, but alot to me!