Grip Adaption

Discussion in 'Judo' started by tengu, Apr 17, 2004.

1. tengu

tengu Capoeirista "Paparazzi"

Hi! I'll start this by stating I'm not an actual practising judoka, but I'm researching different methods at the mo and wanted to ask this community a technical question.
    What do you do if your attacker is bare chested or is wearing something very flimsy? Do you train for a non-clothing grip?

2. saikyou

saikyou New Member

you can still grab his arms, elbows, shoulders, the back of the neck, his belt, etc. :D

3. blackbelt_judoj

blackbelt_judoj New Member

I've found that from doing judo, not only have i learnt all the usual/formal techniques, but i have also learnt how people react to attacks/defence.

I know for example that if you pull someone here then they will pull back in a certain way. Likewise push THERE and they push back like this. Once you "know" this then it is very easy to adapt your fighting techniques to suit your opponent and the clothes that they are wearing.

4. saikyou

saikyou New Member

i agree with this.^_^ i love this method. you can easily attack with a tomoe nage or tsuri komi ashi!

5. tengu

tengu Capoeirista "Paparazzi"

Ok, thanks for that, could I trouble you with 2 more questions?
    1: How would you fight someone who weighs abouit 250 pounds? how would you physically shift his weight around?
    2: Are there any ways you can train be yourself outside of class productively?

many thanks

6. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

1: How would you fight someone who weighs abouit 250 pounds? how would you physically shift his weight around?

Thats well easy, as judo is about using someone else to your advantage, all you need is a good technique and you can throw someone around like a ragdoll.

Ummm, i don't know how many pounds i weigh but i fight a friend who weighs waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than me and he can do morote seionages to me, its terrifying!

all he does to shift me around is yank me forward or pull me around by holding the back of my neck. The heavier they are, the harder they fall.

2: Are there any ways you can train be yourself outside of class productively?

Your not supposed to practice judo outside your judo so you can't practise technique probably the best thing to do is excercises and stuff to improve stamina.

7. blackbelt_judoj

blackbelt_judoj New Member

Answers (or my version of them): -

1. I like to fight in the open weight category so i've come across this problem before.

The key to judo is movement. When someone is standing still, feet shoulder width apart, they are about as stable as they can get. Get them moving. I find that rather than tugging on them trick them (see my previous reply).

Big guys are suckers at getting swept. Once they are on their way down then they are GOING DOWN. Try a fake co-uchi gari to get him stepping.

2. As has already been mentioned, get your fitness sorted outside class so that when you rock up to classes you can concerntrate on your judo.

In my spare time i have also tried Trampoline classes (spatial awareness in the air - ie knowing which way is up), randori practice (to the point) (Butsucari?) with my mate in our own dojo (How cool is that?) and of course "drunken judo" when you come out the pub and want to impress some women...Hhmm? Prehaps not the last one.

Good luck :D

8. Sub_Fighter81

Sub_Fighter81 New Member

Everyone big or small has a center of balance, all you have to do in order to throw someone is to get them of that balance, by practicing Judo you will learn to determine this depending on the oponent's body structure.

As for practicing outside the Dojo.....hmm, just do some weight training and some basic conditioning, leave all the sparring for the dojo where a technique could be corrected and shown properly.

9. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

You can do uchi-komis. If you have a pole in your basement or a tree in your backyard, tie a rope or something durable to it and work the throw. Obviously you aren't going to throw a tree or the pole, but you will be developing muscle memory as well as learning how to comit to a throw. If nothing else, you could always work on breakfalls, especially if you are new to falling.

Edit: I would like to add that uchi komis are probably best for forward throws, unless you think swinging your leg against a pole is a good way to practice reaping the leg.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004