Greetings from Systema Spetsnaz (Russian Martial Art)!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by russiancombat, Sep 19, 2014.

1. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Another thing here is that hitting a novice boxer in the throat will be very hard as from day one they are encouraged to keep their chin down out of the way and cover it at all times leaving almost no room for a throat strike. I would imagine (but don't know for sure) that most other styles allowing head strikes would teach this and even most "street fighters" would do the same.

Only very poor fighters would throw punches leaving their chin up and if they did a decent cross would more than likely send them down. So if you could easily target the throat you wouldn't have to, bit of a non argument.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  2. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Facepalmery at this thread and some of the answers just completely ignoring anything they might have trained and read in previous posts.

I said visualise not imagine. Huge difference please don't tell me you don't visualise during bag or mitt work.

The bag work was only mentioned as one thing you could do as a counter to you can't spar with that full force.

Punching the throat was only one suggestion and I did mention if the opportunity presented itself. Nothing about a boxer. Since when is blocking with the chin a good idea?

I mentioned more options from a clinched position using hair, less restrictions I didn't once say don't punch the face and only go for the throat this is what happens on Map, when someone doesn't concede a point or wants to go with the masses. They nitpick at points without reference.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No we are pointing out massive flaws in your argument

Lets start with something simple; how much practice have you put into actually biting? How do you bite? What mechanics?

4. CrowZer0

I'm not going to get into this.

My original point was that being a competitive or MMA fighter, is not the ultimate goal or deciding factor of what arts or techniques are credible.

My stance and points originally were that the of it worked it would be in the UFC argument is ignorant.

I also responded to you previously and posed you with questions. I won't be derailed again.

Edit: I've put a lot of practice into biting over my lifetime it comes naturally to me. I tend to bite into food every day. Why don't you just ask me about the mechanics of standing or walking?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  5. FunnyBadger

I practise biting every meal time too :)

In seriousness though yes there are effective techniques that are banned in competition formats, I don't think any one believes that throat strikes or biting are not potentially effective. The issue is how certain you can be of using them effectively if you have not used them in anger. A boxer, bjjer ,wrestler etc uses their skills in context all the time so they know what does/doesn't work in what circumstances.

Hypothesising about what might work better is one thing but outright stating that a certain technique works when you have not performed it under pressure (magic word there) is delusional. I was merely saying that in a combat situation I want as close to 100% certainty as I can get, I will stick to something that I know works. In the middle of a fight is not a safe time to experiment.

6. CrowZer0

The techniques a fighter uses in competition is extremely effective both in competition and in a SD scenario because yes they have practiced and applied these techniques over and over again.

I'm in agreement with that. What I don't agree with is that everything effective must be in the MMA or that those are the only or most effective techniques.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I think you're badly misunderstanding what's been said to you. [Edited for the sake of diplomacy]

8. Hannibal

And that comment alone shows you haven't tried it

9. Hannibal

Right as this is clearly something that you cannot grasp in basic terms I will try again in a manner that you may actually grasp

NO ONE BLOODY SAID THEY WERE AND IT IS ONLY YOU ARGUING THIS POINT - LEARN TO READ WHAT IS ACTUALLY BEING SAID!!!!

10. FunnyBadger

MMA is not the street, it is a slightly restricting rule set. I will except that MMA is not the only method of scraping and there are potentially effective techniques banned in it.

MMA fighters train hard and fight, testing their skill and ability to employ it. If you used that same methodology with groin strikes, throat strikes, eye gouges, small joint manipulation or what ever then fair enough you would have a valid point.

You obviously do not regularly test these skills because if you did you would either be dead or incarcerated. There is no method to test them that accurately represents any situation where you might use them.

That is not a flaw in MMA, not a flaw in the techniques, not a flaw in MA in general it is a simple reality. End of discussion.

11. Hannibal

Spot on

The whole point he is arguing is moot - the statement "show that working against an MMA fighter" was intended to illustrate that the typical no touch crap systema is becoming famous for is useless against someone who is actually trying to hurt/hit you

Somewhere in between waking and drinking certain people mixed this absolutely true statement with "MMA is b35t 4 da str33tz", which no one said, but that hasn't stopped people foaming at the mouth and spouting against this position...that no one holds

12. CrowZer0

Started with post 82. But it's OK. No one said anything and I'm misunderstanding.

13. CrowZer0

Reading on from post 82. I have seen the opposite of what you have just said. Too many times to quote on a phone. But it's OK. I'm obviously too stupid to read what is being said. ;)

14. FunnyBadger

I seriously cannot believe that this argument is still going. MMA as a format is not what I was advocating but the training methods they use (sparing/rolling) and the competitions/fights allow them to test everything they do. It is the testing it regularly under pressure that proves if a technique has value or not. As a result MMA has honed a list of techniques that work and is bordering on becoming a martial art in its own right.

Killing techniques, no contact fighting, maiming techniques cannot be tested in the same manner therefore cannot be proven to be effective. MMA has produced has large body of data that can be scientifically analysed and the results quoted as a fact, we cannot do that with the above types of technique. If you were investing in a company one had proven success and the other just had a lot of good talk which would you feel safer investing in?

15. Hannibal

I don't think you are stupid at all - I just think your thought process took a left turn at Albuquerque and kept on going :)

16. CrowZer0

I always think out of the box. Sometimes my thought process may jump from A to D, and B and C may be apparent to me. But I may not do a good job of explaining that. In this thread though I have tried to respond directly to posts. Without being led down other routes. I've repeated my points enough to clarify my position. I'm not going to get into details of biting or throat punching again. Those were only a couple of examples of what came to my mind as not being in MMA.

I try to avoid too many details about myself online.

But in answer to a previous question. Yes I have bitten on two occasions. Throat punch once not in full force. But more than enough to get control of a situation. I know how effective biting someone's nose can be in a situation where I was outnumbered and worried about my outcome.

17. FunnyBadger

You have your opinions and I have mine. It is clear they are not compatible and it doesn't seem like either of us going to be swayed by the other persons arguments. I am happy and comfortable with the evidence backing up what I say, I am happy for you to disagree. I think we should just leave it there as frankly I have more interesting things to do than carry on with this.

18. CrowZer0

I was never arguing with you Jeff...

In regards to doing better things I would advise multi tasking I have cooked and hosted a small dinner party with neighbours and family since 6 and we even watched a movie. Hence why I'm on my phone. :p

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Let's narrow the field then. Quote someone saying that the only techniques that will work in a streetfight are those employed in MMA. Jeffgau put it perfectly a couple of posts up.

20. CrowZer0

That was not what I said. If you are having difficulty in understanding my viewpoint I have responded and directly quoted posts. Start with my first in this thread.