Greetings from New Orleans

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by j8mes, Sep 8, 2007.

1. j8mes

j8mes New Member

My old buddy Stuart (a moderator over in the FMA pages) pointed me to MAP, so here I am.

I started studying the Filipino Martial Arts in 1991 with the Patalinghug family in Baltimore, Maryland, at their school, "Kick Connection". Our school is associated with the Cacoy branch of Doce Pares. I continued to train with the Patalinghug family and teach for them, until I moved to New Orleans in 1999. I still have a great relationship with the Patalinghugs, and consider them a second family and still train with them when I go home to visit family. I received my Lakan Dalawa (2nd Degree) from them.

Along the way, I've studied some Aikido, Jujitsu, Silat, and many styles of FMA, including some backyard sessions with my Father's friend (my Father is Filipino), but only received beginning rank in Mande Muda Silat, and no rank in any other system or style.

I moved to New Orleans in 1999. I trained with Jack Garrett Sensei in Minami Ryu Ju Jitsu and received Gokyu rank under him. I also began teaching Eskrima at Garrett Sensei's school in Metairie, and did so up until Katrina.

After Katrina, I taught Eskrima briefly at a school in Kenner, LA where Garrett Sensei was also teaching, and after that, taught outside at a park. I'm now teaching at a Gym in Uptown New Orleans and have a great group of dedicated students.

I don't teach for money. I teach because I love practicing the Art. Most of my students are referrals from other students. I only teach kids if their parent takes class with them. I've taken a few walk in students, but you must submit a small biography and a phone number so I can interview you first.

Although much of what I teach is exactly as I learned it with the Patalinghugs, I have modified it based on my fighting experiences and "backroom sessions" we had at the Patalinghugs. I've also added some drills from other places that I've found useful in developing good timing and good fighting attributes. I don't really have a curriculum progression, so I jump around alot, but everything fits together in the end.

Mabuhay ang eskrima!

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Welcome to the forums from another 60's child ...

How is New Orleans these days ...media in Europe lost interest !!

Smurf

3. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Welcome to MAP!

New Orleans is such a great town, I hope its coming along on its recovery. I was thinking about taking a trip through there around Christmas time on the way to visit my brother.

4. j8mes

j8mes New Member

How is New Orleans? Is a complicated question, really. Someone put it like this "an occasional rose garden amidst a sea of sewage". I think that is an apt description.

Some of the city is back to normal - the French Quarter and lot's of Uptown (where I live). But much of the city, especially the neighborhoods where people live, work and die (which are the soul of the city) are still struggling. Their is no leadership on the federal, state or local level, so the recovery efforts have been piecemeal and flounder in red tape.

We are the murder capital of the nation. At least were number one in something. Keeps those situational awareness skills sharp!

5. Tom@Foresight

Tom@Foresight Valued Member

Hi J8mes,

Welcome to MAP!

TOM

6. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Welcome aboard :)

7. yukwon

yukwon New Member

j8mes,

Its good to see another new orleanian here, I had a hapkido club in metairie (not too far from Jack's school) before Katrina also. I am now teaching in gonzales. not too far from the tanger outlet mall. I saw that they are re-doing the building where Jack's school was. Is he moving back when they are done? And where uptown are you? I might try to stop by and say hi. I still work in metairie.

8. j8mes

j8mes New Member

Frank,
    Jack is still teaching out of Frank Carassi's (sp?) school in Kenner for the time being. I know he's been looking to move, but I don't think he's looked at moving into the old building. I haven't spoken with him in about a month or so. I noticed they were working on the old building last time I drove by it a week or so ago.

I'm teaching at the Temple Gym twice a week. They are also teaching kickboxing and BJJ there. I'll PM the times and address if you like.

James