Greatest Songwriters

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Nrv4evr, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

My top five (you can do as many as you want)

1). Kurt Cobain - Loser, but good poet
    1). Jim Morrison - Damn. All I can say.

2). John Lennon/Paul McCartney - Writers who saw beyond the tunes
    3). Plant/Page - Ultimate wailers
    4). Billy Corgan - An all time great, but I can't remember his songs :p
    5). Maynard James Keenan - The darker side of poetry

2. seikido

seikido New Member

I think I'd also include (in no particular order). I'm assuming we're sticking to rock/pop:
    Bob Dylan--lyrics, anyway. The guy can't sing, but the songs are great... same goes for Nick Cave and Leonard Cohen and Neil Young. And Lou Reed. And Frank Black. hrm. Maybe great song-writers make bad singers?

And there's loads of artists/bands that, whether you like 'em or not, know/knew how to write great pop songs--Berry Gordy (Motown), Burt Bacharach, REM, Depeche Mode, U2, Stone Roses, Elton John, Morrissey (for lyrics, anyway), Pink Floyd, Radiohead, The Who--there's so many artists and bands that have stood the test of time, I'd be here all night. (my disclaimer: I dont necessarily LIKE all these artists, but I respect the fact that they can write excellent songs).

I think a more interesting question is, in 20 years time, which artists from today's charts are we going to still be listening to?

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

for starters.....
    Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Joni Mitchell, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young, Bob Hunter (Grateful Dead), Lou Reed, Bernie Taupin. Billy Joel, Phil Collins, ........

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Okay, I'll bite. From a country point of view, Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson. They're songs have been recorded by a 1000 different singers. Good thread so far.

5. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Bernie Taupin. C'mon, you gotta know who he is. Jim Croce. Eric Clapton. Axl Rose. The whole bunch in Matchbox Twenty and Nickleback.

6. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I love some already mentioned but a few more: -
    Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Dolly Parton, Robert Smith.

7. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

Neil Finn - I'd die for his middle eights. Dylan for the lyrics, Hendrix for the 7#9ths and pushing the envelope. William Orbit for his early IRS conceptual work that became trance.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  8. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

Lyric-wise, you have some talented and witty writers out there...
    First off, most definitely, would be John and John from They Might Be Giants. You might not like their music, but their lyrics are as complex and throught-provoking as the best literature. Tori Amos, as well, not only has the voice of a beautiful siren, but her lyrics mean something! Third would be a little-known christian punk band known as Relient K. They vary vetween serious and hilarious, but either way, they have a certain flair for manipulating the english language.
    Who else? Let's see...Trent Resnor (NIN), Bob Dylan, everyone from Pink Floyd, and you're right on Matchbox Twenty. They have an interesting take on things, but their lyrics are different. And, although I wasn't a fan of Smashing Pumpkins, I do have to give props to Billy Corgan.
    By the way, if memory serves me right, Elton John didn't write any of his stuff...excellent performer, but he had to get someone else to write his lyrics, I think. I may be getting him confused with someone else. Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

9. seikido

seikido New Member

Elton john wrote most of the music for his hits, in collaboration with lyricist Bernie Taupin.

10. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

IMO, best lyrics are in hip-hop - De La Soul, for example:

Held Down, by De La Soul

This is dedicated to all my folks
    Diagnosed with a bad case of that proper upbringin
    And never took the time to fall in line or follow
    or swallow the thoughts
    Of the recognized committees who lurk throughout ya cities
    Ya hood, ya town, no matter which type
    You from the same type of people try to hold you down
    Just because you tailor-made for bigger and better things
    Never missed a chance to move ahead of things
    And what does it bring? I tell you for me
    it brought jealousy in backrooms from all the stabbin
    Cats posin as my fan just to get grabbin what's mine
    I'm livin in times where my daughters are found around
    kids who can't afford thinkin caps
    But always found drinkin raps and eatin off beats
    Claimin laws of the streets - but who made the laws?
    Everybody playin Rebel with no sign of a Cause

[Chorus: Cee-Lo]
    Well I, feel the world around me
    I've found, that others, will bring you down, just to be down
    You've got to make up your mind, where you wanna be
    Where you wanna go with your life
    With your life..

[Pos]
    Yo, I'm never singin the blues but findin the clues to maintain
    And I been blessed to reign supreme over nearly every dream
    I had, and I made it come true
    I'm an imperfect man and I'm holdin the clue
    to perfection, it doesn't seem to matter what direction I look
    I find people settin traps
    Tryin to find the goal - without havin any maps
    Even friends of mine, jumped on line, just to become my adversary
    They felt they were entitled to the dairy I made
    They don't come to chill or behave

And they got, toast ready to burn
    Not learnin to live, but they yearnin to take what you earn

[Chorus: Cee-Lo]
    Well I, feel the world around me
    I've found, that others, will bring you down, just to be down
    You see - you've got to make up your mind, where you wanna be
    And where you wanna go with your life
    With your life..

[Pos]
    So quick to place blame.. and deny the shame we bring upon ourselves
    So many names held accountable for my own account
    When a large amount was weight - that I made and shaped
    When I climbed I found
    It was hard to find others around to point my fingers at
    Which made me realize the truth
    The biggest supressor could be your own ego lookin for an excuse
    to plant roots, in a field of self-sorrow
    to sprout and follow the first thing you feel
    Nourishes your hunger to be respected, it gets hectic
    And when I'm watchin the news, and my daughter walks in
    and choose to ask, 'Why were all those people on the floor
    sleepin, covered in red?' I told her
    that they were lookin for God, but found religion instead

Then there is the aforementioned Bob Dylan, one of the VERY few lyricists to whom the term 'poet' can be even vaguely applied (there is an enormous difference between good poetry and good lyrics - ENORMOUS!!). David Bowie has also written some great stuff, like 'Life on Mars', Morrissey, despite being a dick, wrote some interesting lyrics while in the Smiths, Robert Smith occasionally came up with good stuff for the Cure but recently seems to have lost any lyrical talent whatsoever, and the Rolling Stones/Beatles 'rivalry' also has various lyrical gems spread across it.

Gil Scott-Heron is apparently very good, and the Grandfather of Rap, but I haven't managed to hear anything by him yet. Finally, there is Don McLean, who deserves recognition purely for 'American Pie', and in particular the endless discussion his lyrics brought up; if you're interested, check here, here and here

Of course, I could post up all the songs I was thinking of in regards to the various artists, but that would make this a rather huge post. If anyone wants me to bore them with said lyrics, I'm more than happy to. :p

11. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

Good lyrics should be ambigous or evocative, so the listner can co-produce the feeling from their own experiences..

For exampe..
    "The guilty get no sleep, in the last slow hours of morning"..
    probably gives us all a different and personal mental image.

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

And inbetween all those amazing songwriters, somebody decides to throw these muppets into the fray! What the hell.

13. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

Hey now - its a subjective thing.. being art'n all that. Plus - there is no known cure for "cloth" ears - I hope they find one before my dad dies of adult orientated rock. Great use of "Muppet", though.

14. slideyfoot

I disagree - I hate vague lyrics, though not as much as vague poetry. Grr. Lyrics should mean something, not mere words warbled into a microphone to accompany the music. Thats why (certain) hip-hop is great, as it frequently has a clear social conscience, or alternately why I enjoy groups like the Smiths and the Scissor Sisters, who might not always be politically motivated, but tend to at least be interesting. Most lyrics make me cringe, as so few people put any effort into them whatsoever.

However, I don't have a problem with lyrics which have multiple interpretations, merely that there should be some kind of purpose to them - with very rare exceptions, there is nothing worse - lyrically or poetically speaking - than abstraction.

15. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

Hmmm... I don't know.
    Let's take "the blues" for example..
    *Note - I hate the blues with a passion*

You're either in the "mother of all music" or "formuliac and simplistic" camps when it comes to blues.

But let's look at the lyrics..
    they tend to be fairly Journalistic:
    "I did this, ma' Baby done that, du-neh-nah-neh-nuh."
    Its a story, but it doesn't evoke raw emotion..
    You know, those musical moments when you shudder.. a wave of feeling that starts from the middle of your back.

16. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

That's damn great taste...

EDIT: Personally, I prefer vague or unique lyrics, because the lyrics nowadays just sound like commercial sell-offs; one dimensional. All they complain about is losing their girlfriend, or shooting people, or partying/rebelling. *cough* good charlotte *cough*.

The days when Jim Morrison, Slash, Axl Rose, and Corgan; those were the great writers, the guys who could write AND sing. Its sad to see music take on a more commercial approach, in my view, but I will give credit where its deserved: Tool, A Perfect Circle, and Audioslave still "keep it real." :D Sorry, that was bad.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  17. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Download some muddy waters, then tell me it's all the same. Yes it's got a lot of that, but when you listen to all the classics, you can't help but like it! Check out bb king live at the regal as well, one of the best live albums ever.

18. slideyfoot

Ok, need some clarification then - let the semantic tangent begin :p.

'Vague' and 'unique' are very different things - how are you using the term 'vague'? To use good ol dictionary.com, it offers these 5:

1. Not clearly expressed; inexplicit.
    2. Not thinking or expressing oneself clearly.
    3. Lacking definite shape, form, or character; indistinct: saw a vague outline of a building through the fog.
    4. Not clear in meaning or application. See Synonyms at ambiguous.
    5. Indistinctly felt, perceived, understood, or recalled; hazy: a vague uneasiness.

None of those are postive, unless you take the first one to mean 'open-ended', which I think would be a misinterpretation. 'Vague' to me means the writer is too lazy and untalented to actually direct the words to anything specific, so throws in a bunch of meaningless abstractions and unrelated strings of cliches.

19. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Notice the "or." But, yes, I prefer vague lyrics over the modern lyrics anyway, because, like I said, all they do is complain and talk about killing people. It's just my view, because I see vague lyrics not as lazy, but just a different interpretation.

20. slideyfoot

Depends what you refer to by modern. :p Have a listen to Scissor Sisters, theSTART, the Strokes - do you feel all they sing about is 'killing people' and 'complaining'?