Grappling versus Kicking!

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Pugil, Dec 7, 2011.

1. MACA

MACA Valued Member

this is what I think:
    Grappling is better than Kicking
    Punching is better that Kicking
    Joint Locks are better than Punching
    Throws are better than Joint locks
    And Kicking is better than Throws

any doubts?

Nuclear bombs are better if you are not near your target.......do not try to use them as CQC tools

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Range is a MAJOR factor. Can't grapple at kicking range.

Also, throws and joint locks come under the term grappling.

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Edited for mathematical clarity

From a basic logic standpoint you've set out:
    kicks>throws>joint locks>punching
    but then you say:
    punching > kicking

You've come full circle and invalidated yourself

It's all context dependent. If your enemy is significantly taller than you it is far better to attack low than to try going over the top. Kicking his legs is an easy way to do that. You'd also have trouble getting certain throws/locks on them but not others. Strikes are complimentary to joint locks and throws.

4. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Concerning the last 3 posts (#s 101-103). Upon reading what MACA posted, I was going to make an observation, and then I saw that both Chadderz & Sketco took it all at face value. Now I'm left trying to keep from laughing too hard... ["Can't grapple at kicking range... throws and joint locks come under the term grappling."] These truths are of no concern, likewise with these ["You've come full circle and invalidated yourself ... Strikes are complimentary to joint locks and throws."]

It's plain to see that it was all meant as satire, with the "invalidating" circuitous logic done on purpose (sorta like rock/scissors/paper). Thus, when assessing the virtues of Punching or Joint Locks or Throws or Kicking, there is no particular fighting aspect which ultimately comes out on top. So we're left with the supposed supremacy of Grappling, at least according to MACA (don't forget the TITLE of this thread).

C'mon, guys, it should've been obvious... ROFL

5. MACA

MACA Valued Member

thank you Unknown-KJN!

someone finally got it!

this grappling vs kicking vs whatever is the most fruitless discussion in the history of MA.

I thought the part with the nuclear bomb made it obvious

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  6. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

They need a font for sarcasm .

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Heh...whadaya know. I was mostly wrong about that surf fight. Didn't realise the blonde dude threw the first punch and then went looking for the other guy.
    I still think having the mate on hand to make the BJJ guy effective is a low blow but the fight was pretty justifiable given the rest of it.
    BUT...it's justifiable in and of itself. Not because surfing somehow has some has intrinsic code that justifies beatdowns to someone that doesn't understand the rules.

8. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

When I started this thread, I had no idea that it would go beyond 3 posts, let alone 8 pages!

In addition to what's been posted already: 1) We're all the same height in six feet or more of water, and 2) Kicking, Punching and Grappling is not as easy to do in six feet or more of water as it is on dry land!

9. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Heh...whadaya know. Beatdowns from more experienced surfers wouldn't be necessary if those ignorant of the rules wouldn't be such obstinate jerks who refuse to listen & pay attention when informed of said rules, which as with most sports are merely in place due to increased safety for all involved. And just like with routy children, some folks listen better if what you have to say is beaten into them. :D