Grappling versus Kicking!

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Pugil, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Jindotgae

Jindotgae Valued Member

To be honest the best advice i could give in reply to your post is, if you find your ina knife vs unarmed situation. Be the one with with the knife. But thats abit anal and not what im here to talk about atall.

I think the person thats misguided here is you. Luck ovbiousley plays a factor in any encounter. Someone attacks you with a knife and u survive, id say tht is pretty lucky yes, but how can you say that several people applying this training and it working in their favour not evident that there is something effective there?

Actually no profit is made by the person who runs these classes all the money goes to the martial arts centre to help with the bills. Our instructor is very highly regarded as one of the best combative instructors in the world being that people come from all over europe to attend these seminars. He is also very involved with training various police forces around the world..

Yes would say that something thats basic, easy to learn and very effective is top quality, wouldnt you? Or are you honestly that ignorant?

I i wanted to learn to knife fight id do some sort of FMA, but i have no interest in stabbing people, nor do i have an interest in carrying a knife for SEVERAL reasons.

Good for you, im glad you can just shoot people, but for everyone in the uk, we cant carry firearms, thus ruling out the possibility of shooting a knife attacker on sight. Plus the majority of knife attackers will not wave the knife at you from accross the street if they want to stab you, thus rendering your gun about as useful if not less than a knife in stabbing range, thats another topic of discussion though.

Cheers

J

2. Jindotgae

Jindotgae Valued Member

I didnt say anything about a pro fighter. Thats like expecting every knife attacker in the street to be a kali expert. Lets be honest if a kali guy pulls a knife on you, your fudged. Same as if a bjj guy gets you on the ground etc.. But thats not what im talking about. This is defence against RELEVENT threats today. Someone who doesnt even know how to hold a knife or stab with PROPER technique, they can still stab you and or kill you. its very important you can defend yourself and get away from this situation alive. Same average joe gets in a full mount on you, doesnt know how to grapple but has seen this is a decent position to be in on espn, so he does it too. Once again thats where this basic defence comes in again.

Yes you will become better if u drilldrilldrilldrill I DONT DENY THAT FACT,but that does not mean that basic easy to use tecniques are uneffective!

Cheers

J

3. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

Without a trace of irony or sarcasm, I want to know who teaches this unique knife-defence system, and where. Unarmed knife defence was never something I took seriously. But because I'm living and working in the stab-happy capital of the Western world, I owe it to myself to spend a day training in it.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Basic techniques are EXTREMELY difficult to perform under pressure. Take this from me, I STILL can't bob and weave 2/10 times when somebody throws a hook.

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Assuming that you can't simply run away before they get the knife out (and to be honest, if they're serious about using a knife on you rather than just threatening you with it you probably won't see it) the best unarmed knife defense I'm aware of is available here.

Perfectly legal in the UK as well.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

7. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

To be honest, there might have been a trace of irony in my claim to being unironic.

But I seriously do want to know what this method is. Other than sprinting, of course.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You DO know what I do don't you?

If not that would explain why you cannot understand my objection to the above points

9. Jindotgae

Jindotgae Valued Member

im sorry youll have to excuse my lack of knowledge with regard to most of the users here im fairly new. please take this opportunity to make me look like a muppet.

:hat:

J

10. Hannibal

Here is a clue....

[​IMG]

11. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

Hannibal is a knife-fighting Gaucho from the pampas plains of Argentina. He settles all disputes for his cattle-ranching family using a 14" blade he has christened 'Borges'.

EDIT: It must be said, though, that his scars and moustache are so imposing, that he rarely needs to whip out 'Borges' at all.

12. Jindotgae

Jindotgae Valued Member

still laughing at the link! but apart from that what you said is %100 correct about knife encounters. The knife seminar also coverd these sort of topics.

Threat, type of edged weapon, high risk groups, wouding mechanics, mindset, situational awareness, attitude/aggression.

Skills:
    1 must work in real attackt
    2must work under stress
    3must work if knife isnt seen
    4must have commonality with all other aspects of your system.

--------------

i didnt say there not difficult, but there a damn sight easier than complicated ones. im sure even the most experienced knife fighter would get cut/stabbed/killed in a number of encounters out of 10. but id rather have a 2/10 chance of being stabbed than a 6-7-8/10 without such training.

thats what makes this relevent.

--------------

where are you based?
    its not unique im sure theres a few combative instructors doing this sort of stuff, i dont think it has a specific name or anything il have a look through my notes now, it did however have alot of emphasis on the G.U.N techinique.

-J

13. Jindotgae

Jindotgae Valued Member

ahh your a punishing enforcer with an unswerving dedication to law and order?

;)

-J

14. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

even im curious about your instructor...

15. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Jindotgae, just to be clear, the knife techniques that are so effective that you're talking about aren't kuk sool techniques? I'm just asking because I hope you're not talking about dahn do makki.

16. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

For #3 we used to have days at jujitsu where the sensei randomly, and quietly gave out rubber knives to some of the students. Sometimes it would fall out of their gi and you'd both scramble for it, sometimes they'd pull it and use it against you, sometimes you'd have them in a position where they couldn't draw it.
    So you had people draw it while striking and grappling. There was more than once where I had someone in my guard and they pulled a rubber knife. It's not pretty but you do get a feel for how to deal with a surprise knife while grappling.

17. Jindotgae

Jindotgae Valued Member

sorry but id prefair not to say as this is an open forum and as a WKSA member i should not cross train, even though combatives isnt a MA technically. id rather not bring such trouble my way. what i will say though is that if you have any kowledge of the combative community you or your instructor should know him, if not have trained with him.

---

nope, Dahn Do Mahk Ki has its uses (however small they may be) but this is not my ks instructor.

---------

absolutley excellent training, we did something similar to this, also paying attention to other people who may run up and boot you whilst grappling (how this topic started). we coverd things such as kinaesological indicators.

this all came under indicators and clues section.

A)visible weapons
    B)weapon signatures
    C)verbal threats
    D) hidden hands
    E)hands in palming position
    F) weapon access positions
    G) talking way into personal space
    H)kinaesological indicators

-J

18. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

So for all I've gathered from your posts is that you teach crappling and recently concocted responses to what you watch in UFC. You don't devote a significant portion of time to BJJ training yet you feel you know enough about it to teach your students counters to it. You're not concerned with actually being a good martial artist, just "good enough". You don't care how effective you really are, just if you can pass it off against some random idiot at the bar.

You've basically stated, "You'll lose against someone better than you, so just train enough to beat someone with no training". You honestly think that this is a good approach to training? I'm really sick of these Swiss Army Knife classes that try to cram so many ranges of combat into one program that the end product is just pure trash. "Meh, you won't be able to escape mount from a BJJ white belt with 3 months of training but you should be fine against a drunk bumbling idiot who has no martial arts training". When you train, you should be training to beat the champ. You should be training to fight the best fighters in the world. Because when the crap hits the fan and your body goes haywire from the stress of combat, if you've been training hard enough you MIGHT have a better chance of getting out alive.

I'm not saying you're teaching crap and have no idea what you're doing. I don't know you. I just have a huge problem with instructors who have no experience in wrestling teaching their students "their" counter to a double-leg take down, practiced against a student who's never been taught how to execute a proper double-leg take down. Or teaching an escape from bottom side-control against someone who has no idea how to properly maintain a top side-control position. This is no different than teaching knife defense when you have no realistic experience using a knife. It's irresponsible and foolish. Either train the specialized ranges with their corresponding arts, or don't; but don't try to sell stuff that only works on people that are terrible at fighting to begin with. I really hope you have better standards than that.

19. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i love how all references to grappling in this thread seem to mean groundwork rather than standing grappling which is probably the only way to disarm someone or subdue them without beating them immobile/unconscious.

20. Hannibal

It is argument from ignorance