Grappling versus Kicking!

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Pugil, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Why going to the ground and then staying there is rarely the best option: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00g5a416rdU"]Ground fight - Woman knocks out guy with kick to head - YouTube[/ame]

2. elliotmurphy

elliotmurphy Valued Member

I saw that clip on Facebook, funny

3. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Nice accurate kick, eh!

4. elliotmurphy

elliotmurphy Valued Member

Yes sir, she got him good

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I put that down to not being aware of surroundings. It was a two on one standing OR on the ground.

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Problems.

They are in the middle of the flipping road!

IIRC it's the Mom of the lad on the bottom and she spends some time waiting around, why didn't she step in sooner?

Why didn't she appear to contact help?

Whilst I think it obviously highlights the danger of having a lack of awareness whilst on the ground and how vulnerable you can be I also think there's a number of other issues there that could be looked at.

Might be good to have a LEO's input on it, I wonder how she stands legally.

7. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

As I saw it, he had a mate as well, but he didn't seem to want to mix it with the woman either! The guy on the ground who got knocked out also looked somewhat bigger and older than the other lad. In addition to that, there's some other brave so-and-so in the background yelling: "Get him Tony, get him Tony!" The ones at the back are always the 'brave ones', and always got the most to say!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  8. Dean Winchester

Ah dur on my part!

I only watched to the kick :D

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If there is anyone else nearby, it's a mistake to stay on the ground. You don't know what they're going to do.

Mitch

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Without context - and taking it purely as it stands - she could put a good case for "defense of another".

She only did one shot to facilitate the escape of the other party from getting a beating (possibly). That is literaly just a snapshot picture though

11. Pretty In Pink

Did you guys hear him shout something like "I am the Champ!"?

12. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

"I am the Chump", more like!

13. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

Come on. I could post videos of white trash punching each other and say "this is why striking in a fight is a bad idea". Clearly neither one of them knew what to do; the dude on the bottom chilling in half-guard without trying to sweep and escape and the dude on the top tunnel visioning and not paying attention to the woman about to kick his face in.

That's like if I posted the hedgehogey vs the fake Ninjutsu kid video and said, "See this is why Ninjutsu is a bad idea, because someone who doesn't have any training in it got beat up".

Or I could post the video of the BJJ purple belt (if I remember correctly) fight on the beach and say, "This is why training on the ground is a good idea":

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9cXGX0wxrk"]YouTube[/ame]

Man. I'm the last person to advocate that BJJ is a complete martial art for self-defense--I'd have to be stupid to think that--but all of this, "Going to the ground is bad because I have video evidence of someone with zero ground training getting beat up" propaganda is ridiculous.

14. Dean Winchester

Thanks Hannibal.

Nice to see your duties as Dovahkiin aren't keeping you from MAP ;)

15. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Methinks thou dost protest too much Sir! I posted it as a bit of fun, and for no political reason, or indeed in order to belittle and/or score points over ground-fighting. As a matter of fact, I also happen to teach a lot of it in my curriculum. But if you really want to test your BJJ Purple Belt guy in a street fight, I suggest that, as well as making sure that he takes in the entire scenery around him, he'd best check that the other guy is not carrying a knife beforehand as well!

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Actually I am reviewing Use of Force reports at work! If I was at home i would be cutting down Altmer scum!!!

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It's not an anti BJJ thing, judo has a significant newaza component too for example. But it does show that going to ground and staying there isn't a good idea if there is anyone else around.

If they're on the floor then getting up and leaving them there is a much better option :)

Mitch

18. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

After all, what we do in self defense is a lot easier to justify if it's used to escape rather then break their arm and submit them :D

In the unlikely situation of being attacked by a BJJ practitioner, I'd be sorely tempted to tap and see if they relax instinctively, just as an aside really.

19. Pretty In Pink

Would it perhaps be fairer to say "But it does show that going to ground when you have no grappling experience and staying there isn't a good idea if there is anyone else around."

Not saying that it's a good idea of course. I just wanted to point out that he doesn't exactly represent grappling does he?

20. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

have seen this posted around an didnt watch it until now, so this is what some of the
    anti-grappling commitee have been harping about.......looked more like Crappling and Krav maga / RBSD propaganda.