Grappling Techniques

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Cougar_v203, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Solane

Solane New Member

LOL
    I should get my facts straight. Fair enough I know very little about Gracie Jiu-Jitsu so cannot comment on it and that’s why I didn’t. But your first post you said.

1(I'll sum it up: Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.)
    Your Second you said
    2.(Gracie Jiu Jitsu is the best "Grappling" art around. There is nothing more to it.)

I thought it was a bit presumptuous. But the others got you discussing why, then others took it off at a tangent that I thought was more relevant to another forum, and not really relevant to Cougar_v203 original post. So I may not have got you 100% word perfect the first time but I wasn’t far off as shown above.

Happy training

Solane

2. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

Yes, best as in the "most proven" thus why I would say best in that sense...the GRAPPLING sense. Again, Cougers post was "Are there any good grappling techniques for the streets." again, I was just answering it. As for it turning into a Style Vs style thread, it wasn't clear there was some joking around going there? I guess not if you had to "step" in and say your piece about message board etiquette. We have had that little (keep in mind joking ) rivalry since the "Whats wrong with high kicks?" thread.

Try again,
    Thanks for playing. :D

3. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

If its getting into a style v style debate, can I just say;

BJJ vs Stavit, I very short fight I think!?!

4. Solane

Solane New Member

Hmm
    I don’t remember suggesting that the messages were not funny; I have noticed the friendly rivalry between you all and find them quite amusing.
    But whether they were funny or not they were wandering off the topic and into the hills. So I said what I did.

I never said you weren’t entitled to think the way you do. As to whether you are right or not I didn’t say you weren’t, as some of your later explanations were more helpful in explaining your point of view. I think, you saying it was the best grappling and leaving it at that wasn’t very helpful to the general conversation. But that is what I think.

I think we need to agree to disagree on certain points of view. Otherwise we could continue this on, and I would be doing what I said the others were doing in taking the topic off into the hills. I am sorry if my earlier comments offended you.

I hope we can lock horns and trade techniques in further posts.

Back on topic: You need to be careful with the ear slap as it can burst their eardrum very nasty for them but good for you. :)

Another is to punch the nose straight on or swipe from the side with your knuckles this will most often bring tears to their eyes but the added side effect can be lots of blood. While this is often not a bad injury the amount of blood can be very off putting for the opponent and his or her fellow attackers. If it is enough to make some hesitate or back off all the better for you. I don’t believe this will make them lose motor control but it has a good effect.

Train safe

Solane

5. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

But there not really grappling techniques solane ;)

Without getting into style vs style I'd stull like to hear about some of the BJJ stuff :)

6. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

Well, anyhoot it doesnt matter much to me anymore. The argument over that is over. But if you do have questions about GJJ, just ask away.

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi mr HH

I have a question on your BJJ - who do you train with & what level of experience are you at with it?

8. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

Ryron is the head of my association and is actualy coming out to us on April 5th and 6th. (cheap plug to come train with us!) The head of our association (as in the state itself) has been training for 6 years. I myself a year and a half perhaps but have been in the "scene" for about 3 years.

9. Solane

Solane New Member

Correct PGM316 But he changed the tread on page 3 or 4 to this.
    But you already new that. :)

Solane

10. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

mmmmmm that makes good sense..........

Thread changed to "What is your favourite sandwich?" :D

Last edited: Mar 16, 2003
  11. YODA

Cool - what %age of your training time do you devote to Gi / No Gi? And what do you feel are the major differences in your game in these areas? Does the emphasis of your game change much for no Gi?

12. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

Interesting questions. I saw from your site you do a lot of no GI training. As for me, I would say maybe 30% at most no GI training. In truth I don't see too too much difference in GI and no GI. Of course there are things apparent such as less to grab and more slippery, but not much else. I think training with the GI will make you better over all. How? Well, when you have a GI your overall balance has to be better. Which is the major difference, in my opinion. When you have a GI on you will be more susceptible to sweeps. So the more you train in that one particular environment, it forces your awareness to become heightened. When I do train without the GI the few differences are: I don't (or can't really) go for collar chokes, and there is far less to grab on so you wrap up and hook limbs more. But like said, I don't think there is that much difference in my overall game. What about you? How long have you been training and under who? What are your thoughts on the GI question?

13. YODA

You're right - the vast majority of my grappling is done no Gi - we really should use the Gi more.

I find that without a Gi I have to be more aware of taking away spaces in control positions - as I don't have the Gi to grip he can move more freely. No Gi for me seems to lead to a faster game with less "stalemate" positions.

I've ben training martial arts seriously for the last 20 years - and training functional BJJ / Shooto based grappling for the last 10 of those. Currently I'm an Associate Instructor under Marc McFann - one of the premiere grapplers in the "JKDC Family" and a 4th Grade Black Belt in Doce Pares Eskrima.

14. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

Yeah, that is true about space. But either way you have to be more aware about it. But I do agree with you, you probly have to be more...for lack of a better word for it...aware.

Have you trained with a Gracie?

15. YODA

I trained with Roger Gracie last November. Very cool guy and VERY good!

Some of my students have trained with Royce & Renzo and had a great time.

I don't hang too much importance on a name. The best exponent of BJJ I've trained with is Mauricio Gomez - not a Gracie but at 7th Degree Black Belt sure knows his stuff! He was one of the few people who got their Black Belt from the legendary Rolls Gracie.

16. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

Oh very true about the name thing. It just so happens the name comes with so much. I myself would like to train with Mario Sperry and Marco Ruas. Just to see what their mind set is on things. Last weekend I had a seminar with Royce. I believe he is heading to Europe, maybe you should check his site to see if he is in the area. Perhaps if you contact him he will stop by. He is a very easy going fellow. We just mentioned to him we would like to have him stop by. He responed "If you get 20 people to come, I'll stop by in July." I dunno, maybe something you might try?

17. YODA

I've had Marco Ruas at my club twice for seminars - nice guy & excellent martial athlete.

Royce was just here - but i was in the USA training my stickfighting! I'll catch him next time around.

18. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

Wow, great. How was marco's seminar? Like, what were they like? He is a machine.

19. YODA

Narco was great - obviously very good at what he does and applies his stuff very errr..... positively LOL!

A real Gentleman though - no sign of ego or "hard man" - just a nice guy with lots of skill!

There are some photos on our website if you look through the galleries.

20. Mr Heel Hook

Mr Heel Hook New Member

They don't seem to be coming up. I click the picture and then get an error. Perhaps internet build up. Thats good to hear about Marco. Rumors I have heard is he has a big ego. I am glad to hear other wise.