Grandmaster Jose G. Mena passed away

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Diego_Vega, May 23, 2005.

1. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

Grand Master Jose Mena

Some bad news to report. IMAFP-PIGSSAI (International Martial ARts Federation of the Philippines- Philippine Indigenous Games) has reported that Grand Master Jose Mena, the founder of Doblete Rapilon Style has passed away. I pass along more details as they're sent to me.

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

that is sad news. another "matanda" passes away.

3. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

I was already worried when I saw the post title... another arnis living legend... gone...

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  4. Peter

Peter Valued Member

May GM Jose Mena rest peacefully. Maraming salamat po.

5. Andy Gibney

Andy Gibney New Member

Always sad to hear this sort of news. Met him in '92. Very nice man, enthusiastic and open. May his art continue to outlive him.

6. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

May GM mMena rest in peace, & condolence to his family..

7. John J

John J Valued Member

My prayers & thoughts go out for the family, friends and students of yet another FMA legend.

8. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

He had an iron bar that he liked to use in sword challenges so he could smash his opponents sword......

He once did faith healing on my brother and said, "don't thank me, thank him" pionting at a statue of the infant Jesus.

He used to have his nephew/grandson(?) play with an unloaded gun in his home in Tondo, using it to hammer nails. He said "I do it to desensitize him"

He liked double sided daggers that could be used similtaneously in pakal and hammer grips that he called "arka". I think it may have been an acronym of his two sons names.

He liked to hit people in the head....

We once took him to jollybee and when an older women was flirting with me, GM Mena diverted her attenion and took her home instead..

He was the last of group of friends and eskrimadors that worked the docks in Tondo that included Felicisimo Dizon, Antonio "Tatang" Ilustrisimo, Angel Cables, Floro Villibrille, Antonio Mercado and GM Mena.

I honour him, at times I was frustrated by him, sometimes I loved him.

He'll be missed.

Tulisan_Olympus likes this.
  9. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Rest in Peace

10. kruzada

kruzada Valued Member

All members of Kuntaw Kali Kruzada mourn his passing. We offer our sincere condolences to his family.

He was a great man, and his legacy will endure.

--------
    Grandmaster Mena was the very first Arnis teacher to open a school in Manila (Tondo). He taught his family style from Ilo-Ilo that was handed down in his family for over three generations. He made many additions to the style based on his own fighting experience.

Last edited: May 24, 2005
  11. Ferdie

Ferdie New Member

Condolences to the family of GM Mena.

12. Brunstick

Brunstick (^_^) I need a girlfriend

Condolences to all the family and friends of GM Mena. It's a sad day for the FMA community. Rest in Peace GM Mena.

-Nico-

13. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

It is a sad day indeed, a small man in stature but a very big man in Arnis. he will be missed by us all.

Condolancess to the Mena Family and freinds

Pat