Grand Master In Hyuk Suh's Uniform - or - Grand Master Byung In Lee's Uniform

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Ki_Power, Jul 27, 2010.

?

Which Do You Like Best

1. Grand Master Suh's Uniform

27.0%
  2. Grand Master Lee's Uniform

73.0%
  1. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

Naw...I just figured since you brought up the topic thingy...and you are about the most combative poster here...I would post that just to stir the pot a bit...

2. MUSOOLJOHN

MUSOOLJOHN AKA KUKSOOLJOHN

UK, Thats what I was geting at, just wnted to exsplain my likes one way or the other, in hopes that others would back up their preferances on style of dress rather than won afiliation.

VM, As a mater of fact GM Lee does posses more than one, howevewr the Poll asked about these two.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  3. DamSkippy

DamSkippy Valued Member

my question would be why would (cutpaste is neat) Grand Master In Hyuk Suh's - or - Grand Master Byung In Lee be so dressed and wear such a peacock display?

4. VegasMichelle

VegasMichelle Valued Member

Okay, so its all a joke huh? Fine mine are "jokes" too.

Nah, it speaks more to your character or lack thereof.

Good info there. So this poll may not be a great comparison since you can always cherry pick. There might be some in BIL's collection that I'd prefer and there might be some in IHS' collection that I prefer...

I'd be interested to see if BIL's uniform has much of the ornamentation/patches/designs that IHS' has...ie, a crane or phoenix or swan in place of a dragon or whatever (insert symbolism here).

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  5. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

Need I say more...? :rolleyes:

6. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Well I kinda did, as I mentioned that IMO I thought the "garnish" clothing represented royalty and that the leaders of traditional KMA considered themselves above wearing common attire (Dobok) for public appearances.

Thank you for your kind thoughts on my contributions to this form, the feeling is mutual.

BTW... how's that crow ;)

Oh yeah I almost forgot my self esteem is much better now that you've recognized my contribution to Bruce's post...I was right out there on the ledge then I check in and saw you addressed me...weew that was close. :hail:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  7. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

Garish are the bjj/etc uniforms with 20 patches or advertisements across the ass mma/etc...look like something from T.G.I. Fridays with all the bling-bling pins.

I never considered IHS garish as he was the only one (on the national scene of KMA) with a formal uniform that was not just plain black/white all the way back to the late 70's. Also, korean culture tends to like brightly colored clothing so it's not out of character as a IMO.

Now all the copy-cat attempts seeking to garnish the same attention as IHS by use of colorful uniforms is just that, garish.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  8. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

I started to hit the "Thanks" button on your post, SeongIn, until I realized it said something different than what I read at first glance.

"Now all the copy-cat attempts seeking to garnish the same attention as IHS by use of colorful uniforms is just that, garnish."​

:D :jester: ;)

9. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

Maybe garnish & garish are confusing to make my point.

What i'm saying is others who go hollywood with their uniforms likely do so trying to get the same attention IHS gets. However, IHS did not get the attention because of his uniform; he got it because of his unique (at the time) korean martial art. Those who go hollywood with their uniforms these days are like rip-off brand label products coming out of china or little boys with big egos.

Personally, my favorite uniform which I wear 95% of the time is black pants, black jacket, 1 art patch of modest size, and a black belt.

10. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I think the lavish uniform is a issue along the lines of ego. Especially for a Buddhist could be a wrongful thing.

The uniform (like the belt rank) should not be iconic over the main subject

11. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

I believe that 'Judo Gene' always wore a white jacket until he put his in the wash onetime with some other clothes, and it came out pink. Rather than go to the trouble of trying to bleach it back to white again — or throw the thing away — he thought "What the Heck" I'll wear it like that anyway. Being a somewhat 'colourful character' himself, he got away with it. In any case, when in his prime (at least), not too many people would've wanted to take the p*ss!

As for other top people wearing garish uniforms, you never used to see top Karate people wearing anything but traditional white suits — not until the Yanks came on the scene that is! ;)

12. 47MartialMan

Judo gene could have worn a satin pink one.

I guess with his background, no one will laugh in his face about wearing pink.

On the back of his Gi reads;

"Real men wear Pink"

13. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Personally I like neither uniform. I like uniforms that are plain in color. Such as white or black with no stripes, patches, etc. Plain and simple. However, to each his own!

14. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

You have a bit to learn about Buddhism my friend lol I can see where this would come from, but it really stems from a somewhat superficial understanding of Buddha dharma.

15. 47MartialMan

I studied some Buddhism.

One of my students is a professor of Eastern religions (from a few Unniversities in his carreer) and ordained Buddhist

16. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

When it comes to the uniforms....both are stunning and attention grabbers. Both effectively denote their ranks as Grand Masters of their individual and respective styles; I say individual because Mu Sool Won differs greatly from the current Kuk Sool Won and Mu Sool Won could be noted as, maybe, "Classical Kuk Sool", teaching the original forms, techniques, weapons and so on. The two arts, Mu Sool Won and Kuk Sool Won are different, but both teach Kuk Sool. I enjoy how Kuk Sa Nim Suh's is bold and in your face with the gold. It's a real eye grabber. Chong Je Nim Lee's uniform is slightly more subdued, and I believe that the opposite colors was for both respective reasons (not wanting to be a "look-a-like Kuk Sa Nim") and a way to show an opposite view on the martial arts of Kuk Sool.

The uniforms are not worn on a daily basis. Chong Je Nim Lee wears his only for special occasions (from what I know, though I could be wrong) where as Kuk Sa Nim only wears his Wang-sa Dobok, Jang Gun Dobohk, or a suit (once again, from what I know, though I could be wrong). The uniform is more for ceremonial purposes, but can still be trained in and worked out in (anyone remember Kuk Sa Nim demonstrating techniques for who knows how long and teaching in his Wang-sa Dobok?????).

Now, if we want to talk about historical, all I can say is the Muye Dobo Tong Ji practicioners wear pretty accurate military uniforms. Shouldn't we all be wearing those since we are studying "Traditional Korean Martial Arts"? The patches, fringe, "extra stuff"...that IS Traditional...by today's standards. The United States Marine Corps uniform has changed a few times since the founding of the Corps, has it not? Is it disrespectful to the memory of the originial Corps? I think not. Martial Arts must be adaptive. Tradition should be kept, but things such as Gun, Rifle, etc defense should be incorporated. So uniforms, as well as technique and skills, change with the time. It happens.

When it comes to the "war" comment, I believe that various arts are at war with each other today (since they claim it more often than not). Traditional vs MMA, Kuk Sool vs TKD, Hapkdio vs Aikido, and so on. If Kuk Sa Nim is at war with the martial arts community, and that is his deffinition of war, then so be it. War is horrific: ANY WAR. So there is no war that is worse than another one. To think that is not only arrogant but complete rubbish. Kuk Sa Nim is very egotistical and arrogant, so it would make sense he would go to a "who's better war" with the martial arts community, especially the various styles of Kuk Sool out there today: Hwa Rang Do, Kuk Sool Kwan, Kuk Sool Hapkido, Korean Kuk Sool Won, and so on.

I'm suprised the words he used actually ****ed anyone off! LOL
    Donald Duck: This means war! (Right after getting his face blown off)
    That dirty...dirty...duck *******...he doesn't understand war....
    I'm JOKING by the way, please don't attack me...it might cause a war....

17. 47MartialMan

Ceremonial purposes? Like a tuxedo?

18. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

For demonstrations, promotions, and pictures. General "I am the Grand Master" events, usually not associated with training. But not broken down to "tuxedo" I would think.

19. 47MartialMan

So why bother with the "I am the Grand Master" uniform when everyone there knows he is? It almost seem like a way to stroke the ego.

20. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Its proper. The same as me wearing a Generals Uniform. There's no point in it except to denote an important rank during an important ceremony (such as promotion, tournament, and anything else that we all have mentioned before).
    I, just as the others, don't wear our "important occasion" gear everyday. But we wear it when it is necessary or proper. Thats what seperates Traditional arts from others.

Also, maybe some people dont' know that the person in the "shiny uniform" is the Grand Master. They may be new to the art. It's also a crowd pleaser. Most importantly: tradition. I love my plain black uniform though. Can't beat that.