grammar nazi party

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by shootodog, Apr 7, 2012.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

any grammar nazi out there?

maybe not a full blown grammar nazi but i'm sure we are just a bit.

what gets your goat?

is it the "your/ you're" conundrum?

is it spelling?

chime in!

2. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

:whistle::p

I personally suck at grammar and usually tend to stay within the common forms of it. It does sometimes annoy me when an individual screws up a sentence structure so badly that it give a person a seizure when trying to read it. I also do not like when people do not paragraph, especially when they present a page length, block of text.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  3. shootodog

s.s. are you?

4. their they're
    affect effect
    etc...

...... definitely any native English speaker that thinks the correct use of her mother tongue does not matter, irks me to no end!

Spelling? every single computer has a spell check installed... most spelling mistakes speak more of laziness than ignorance!

Punctuation? please, don't get me started on this one!

Osu!

5. shootodog

punctuation...now that's another thorn eh?

Old_kyokushin is S.S. too!

6. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Dunno if O.K. counts coz nobody knows what it stands for, OK has kinda become a word on its own. But that brings in the question of capital letters lol

There, they're and their, and you're and your irk me the most, because I find they're the most common. Whenever someone insults me with "your a tool" I'll say "It's not MY tool, is it YOUR tool?" So far nobody has understood xD

Those are the only ones that bother me really though, coz they're so... well, separate words. Compliment and complement, affect and effect, I can understand those. Your/you're and there/they're/their are just fundamental :/

I don't see myself as a grammar nazi, as much as someone with some iota of respect for the language I speak. It's like seeing someone do anything badly that I can do better - you'd offer hints to improve, right?

7. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

I am not a grammar nazi. Some people will say well you sound more intelligent and credible when you try to write correctly and maybe even thats true, but its not a deal of mine. The way i see it its just the internet and not my university course.

8. shootodog

ah, but if you do something, you might as well do it properly. it shows discipline. and in martial arts, discipline is the way to learning.

9. Blade96

True, and for myself, I make typos all the time. You just dont see them because I correct them before I post anything.

10. Ahhhhhh....... sending virtual *hugs* your way! ;)

Osu!

11. ATTA GIRL!
    Pfew, maybe there is hope after all......... :D

Osu!

12. Blade96

Thanks, haha.

Osu to you too. :D

13. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Why use the word Nazi to begin with?

Why not Grammar Police?

Or Grammar Enforcers

14. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

negative connotation

15. 47MartialMan

There are those of us whom are concerned with this.

A little extra effort goes a long way.

I guess it goes to show how well we try to perform. This is in likeness to our martial studies...always looking to do our best.

16. shootodog

forgive the use of the term nazi. that's what it is called over here.

17. 47MartialMan

So why not press you "caps key" and have "caps" in your sentence structure? :eek:

18. 47MartialMan

If some people are inclined to comment on grammar, calling them a Nazi can be a insult.

19. shootodog

i guess because i am not as disciplined as i should be. just strict with some. i think it stems from the fact that i type as fast as i can.

20. 47MartialMan

Although I enjoy your many threads and posts, this one seems to be duplicitous.

That said, all it takes is a little extra effort to slow down, and like Blade stated;
    "I make typos all the time. You just dont see them because I correct them before I post anything."

I am far from using proper grammar and at times have errors myself.

Are we "casting stones" in this thread?