Gradings

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Pretty In Pink, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Nah, pinning is for woosies :p

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Inside cradle, switch cradle, top lock, shoulder lock, timehold, americana?

(that's my first lock flow I teach from there!)

3. Pretty In Pink

No idea, arm bar, , kimura whilst pulling on their head, wrist lock, Americana/wrist lock, neck crank, then we switch over, neck crank using our knees, which leads to a kimura.

I'm starting to see why Eddie Bravo has names for everything.......

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Sounds pretty similar - it's "chain wrestling" and it's great fun!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soMn_NkLcPk"][/ame]

5. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Kimura is legal here in fact one of our brown belts one a match recently in competition with one. Neck dislocations and leg locks are banned in comp as well as some throws like kani basami and leg grabs like morote gari and kata garuma.

6. Pretty In Pink

Good to know kimura are still allowed. I heard that the new rule changes have banned touching the legs at all? I don't know how true that is but I'm pretty annoyed that I'm not going to learn about the firmans carry.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

As I understand it you can touch the legs as a counter but not a direct attack?
    There are some legs grab/trips in the BJA syllabus too (unless it's out of date).

8. Pretty In Pink

It is also a new rule where you cannot break an opponents grip with two hands.

Needless to say I'm much more interested in old-school judo but I'll take what I can get.

9. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

As I understand any leg contact while engaged in taichi waza is banned. Once in ne waza then leg grabs are legal.
    If you go to a place that covers kata at all levels you'll still learn kata garuma and other official kodokhan throws that are now banned in comp. Also a few judo clubs encourage participating in a variety of comps from free style to submission wrestling and will regularly work a variety of techniques from leg grab throws to leg locks and neck cranks

10. Pretty In Pink

I can dream man ;p

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

kuzure kesa gatame is awesome for not getting punched in.

There flat and have both arms controlled, whilst being already halfway into two armbars, one choke and a heartbeat away from being mounted.

12. Dead_pool

its a total ban now.

The technics are still in the syllabus but your not tested on them, and I think there not even in the new syllabus..

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Ah I see.

14. Pretty In Pink

I'm going to ask to get shown these techniques anyway, after the class. Hopefully they're alright with it :)

15. Pretty In Pink

Man, I'm just wondering what you think I learn in BJJ now :p

16. Dead_pool

my place does a banned night every few months, great material!

17. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

I would like to see anyone generate power for a good punch while in yoko shiho gatame. Most like you would land a couple of nuance shots and end up in a worse position like mounted

18. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

If you're keen on old school Judo there's a great doco available on youtube featuring Kyuzo Mifune called "The spirit of Judo" (I think that's the name anyway). He runs through more or less the entire syllabus at the time, which I think must have been the 1950's.

19. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Sorry, it's called "essence of Judo", not spirit of Judo. Mind like Swiss cheese...

20. Pretty In Pink

Brilliant! Do you have a link? :)