Grading

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Darzeka, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

Okay heres the scene.
    I train at a small branch of my art and for our gradings we need to go and perform all our stuff in front of the Shihan in the head dojo. Our dojo is notorious for training harder and meaner than any other (we just train properly, not trying to kill people).
    The East Perth dojo (head dojo) are rather large compared to us and the instructors aren't so much interested in making sure the students understand what they are learning as pushing them through to their next grading.

Now I have no problem with this until I have to go for a grading and the people I need to throw/get thrown by don't understand what they are trying to do. Yesterday I had my grading and after doing my rolls and strikes (during which one of my tabi's broke) I had to perform my throws.
    Thankfully I had one of my training partners from my dojo attacking me but the other guy was a typical East Perth member who hasn't really done any real hard training.
    The purpose of the grading is to show the Shihan that you understand the basics of the technique, this will usually require the attacker to relax and not try to couter your throw (this just makes you throw them harder and need to be able to attack for 44 odd throws).
    This guy forgot he needed to attack for a throw so I had to just move into position and thus slam him because he was in a bad position, he then proceded to tense up on all my throws (I think our hardcore reputation had something to do with this), and after I began a couple of our more dangerous throws he moved himself into a really bad position where I was forced to do an ugly and dangerous throw.
    On the whole my throws were average at best.

I then had to attack him for his throws (we had had a break as there were numerous others to get through). I started off my attacks as I do in normal training and his blocks were seriously under par (as I said they don't train hard there). Then he tried and messed up the "Two Hand Grip throw" essentially a momentum throw where the attacker comes in with hands plunging under high velocity, the thrower slings them around to side and pulls them up to minimize damage. He grabbed me and slung me head first into the ground.
    I got up stil not being able to see anything with my head ringing and attacked for the next throw,.. properly. My reverse back slash smashed through his poor guard and into his face (I don't use the practise weapons unless I'm sure the person will block properly or I'm showing them how to block properly). He then did a messy throw and I got up and attacked again,.. properly. Again my slash - this time lunging outside slash - smashed into the side of his head. After this his blocks improved and when I hit him it was only a light hit.

These attacks were brought on by annoyance and the reasoning that if wants to throw me properly I may as well attack with full force.

On the upside I now know that I will get up immediately from a strong blow to the head (I landed really hard). I won't be able to see anything but at least my guard was up and ready.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this from either the students view or insturctors? Did you try to correct it?
    (I'm still of fairly low rank and our branches instructors have talked at the instructors meetings about it with minimal effect)

At our dojo we train reasonably hard all the time with a strong emphasis on blocks and attacks and correct, safe practise of techniques.
    I think as our level gets higher and the severity of messing up a throw increases that the instructors should make sure that noone will get hurt, unless its through lack of good breakfall or something else thats entirely their fault(person being thrown).

Sorry bout the pointlessness of the post but I'm still feeling wierd due to the head being smashed.

Long live the WANG-TANG.
    (Ninjukai Taijustu Wangara Assassin Branch)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2002