Got a question about katas

Discussion in 'Karate' started by praying-mantis, Feb 16, 2004.

1. praying-mantis

praying-mantis New Member

Hi everyone,

I got a question about the different karate katas.

As far as I know there are 8 major karate styles. My question is, do they all use the same katas? Where's the diffence between the styles?

2. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

There is I believe there to be 12 original Katas from Okinawa, and many are found in many styles. As you look from style to style the can vary in movements from small to drastic. The other main differance is the Bunkai. There are those who feel that the moves flow toghter and see all kicks, punchs and blocks. Others will see each movement independant of each other and find grappling as well as strikes. As styles evolved other Katas were created. these tend to be style specific and therefor not found in other thyan the original style.

3. Kosokun

Kosokun Valued Member

There are more than 12 kata. You've got at least that from the Shuri region. Then another dozen or so from Naha. Then, there's a few from Tomari.

Take a look at http://www.****oryu.org/main_frm.htm

Stupid filter is messing up
    S_H_I_T_O Ryu again. So, cut and paste the url into your browser and replace the "*'s" With the letters, "'s'h'i't'" :rolleyes: What a pain in the butt, guys.

The older kata (extant prior to Kenwa Mabuni) would be those from "Arakaki" "Higaonna" and "Itosu". Even by eliminating the Pinan/Heian kata and ones like Kosokun sho or Nifanchi nidan and sandan, one still comes up with more than 12.

Rob

Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  4. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

And that is why I stated that as styles evolved more where created. I was refereing to the KATAS taht span most styles of karate.

5. Kosokun

Kosokun Valued Member

Excepting those created by Kenwa Mabuni, the kata that I mention predate the creation of "styles" of Okinawan karate and were extant prior to the advent of Japanese karate.

To list them (kata extant prior to 1900)

Shuri/Tomari kata:
    Kosokun
    Chinto
    Chinte
    Wanshu
    Bassai (passai)
    Seisan
    Jutte
    Jion
    Jiin
    Matsumura Rohai
    Gojushiho (ueseishi)
    Nifanchi

Arakaki ha:
    Niseishi​
    Sochin​
    Unshu​

Naha:
    Sanchin
    Saifa
    Shisochin
    Seienchin
    Seisan
    Seipai
    Sanseiru
    Peichurrin/Suparinpei

And, that's just a partial list, as I'm not familiar with the dates of the creation of the Ryuei Ryu or Uechi Ryu kata.

Rob

6. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

Thank you , I enjoy new info.

7. Cain

Cain New Member

Helpful as always Rob :D

Sorry about that filter though, I know how much of a pain it is to discuss that, not sure if it couldd be fixed though you can always try to bugger the admins :D

|Cain|

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

The filter now allows ****o Ryu or ****oryu.

Us admins can be left unbuggered now (Phew!)

9. Kosokun

Kosokun Valued Member

Yoda for Hooray!

10. Master J

Master J "No style, no limitation"

The kata which many styles of karate practice are generally the same from style to style, although slight variations in the name and of the kata itself exist.

11. praying-mantis

praying-mantis New Member

Thank you everyone, your answers really helped me.