Gospel of Thomas

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by vampyregirl, May 23, 2012.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Its a matter of record he fled - deal with it

2. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

No its not. Do you even realize how absurd you sound? How often do fugitives have a public wedding in the very town they're a fugitive from? Now i already gave you the link once, i will give it to you once more and thats the last i will post on this issue. www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/FQ_prophets.shtml#convict

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

lol, it was the 1820's. It's not like the bitchy bridesmaid could have got on her cell phone and called the cops.

Mormon's claiming Smith wasn't a con man would be like Scientologists claiming Hubbard wasn't a Sci-Fi writer.

4. Hannibal

Different occurrence - really, you could at least TRY and keep abreast of this fraud you adore so much

Look up January 12 1838 then give your head a shake...banking fraud

Face it - he was a liar, a crook, a fraud and yet YOU believe he was divinely inspired. Whatever you say...keep drinking that kool aid because intelligence and free will are clearly not LDS prerequisites

5. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Actually theres no record of Joseph Smith talking about moon quakers. The sole source for this claim was a journal entry from 1881, published in 1892. A reminence never verified by anyone else.
    But even if he did believe people lived on the moon, that was a common belief in the 1800s.

6. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

you read this , the guy was not only a fraud but also mad as a hatter

Joseph Smith died not as a martyr, but in a gun battle in which he fired a number of shots. He was in jail at the time, under arrest for having ordered the destruction of a Nauvoo newspaper which dared to print an exposure (which was true) of his secret sexual liaisons. At that time he had announced his candidacy for the presidency of the United States, set up a secret government, and secretly had himself crowned "King of the Kingdom of God."

http://www.exmormon.org/tract2.htm

and as for his fraudulent behaviour

"Joseph Smith claimed to be a "prophet." He frequently prophesied future events "by the power of God." Many of these prophecies are recorded in the LDS scripture Doctrine and Covenants. Almost none have been fulfilled, and many cannot now be fulfilled because the deeds to be done by the persons named were never done and those persons are now dead. Many prophecies included dates for their fulfillment, and those dates are now long past, the events never having occurred. "

The "Kinderhook Plates," a group of six metal plates with strange engraved characters, unearthed in 1843 near Kinderhook, Illinois, and examined by Smith, who began a "translation" of them. He never completed the translation, but he identified the plates as an "ancient record," and translated enough to identify the author as a descendant of Pharaoh. Local farmers later confessed that they had manufactured, engraved and buried the plates themselves as a hoax. They had apparently copied the characters from a Chinese tea box.

I rest my case

7. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/FQ_prophets.shtml#martyr
    www.jefflinday.com/LDSFAQ/FQ_prophets.shtml#strings

8. Hannibal

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Which court documents? Because even on the site you posted as "proof" it's often considered questionable as the only person claiming he was acquitted was an associate of his. The more I read the more I see there's so many different accounts you can't say it conclusively either way.

Probably the closest to the truth is Purple's account as essentially Smith had one of the accuser's family members duped to believe he did possess the powers he did and thus got off. This seems the most likely outcome and most likely for his nature. An interesting tidbit though - from my own experience people who are completely innocent showing up at court to face charges is incredibly rare.

EDIT: Not surprisingly you can find no mention of this incident whatsoever on the main LDS site.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Being that they eloped it's not that absurb. Even in this day and age people with active warrants can do lots of different legal agreements if they're not scrutinized. Back in the day it was probably more difficult as how did that same judge know that Smith skipped town 10 months earlier? Wanted posters weren't utilized until the late 1800s so all there really was was a piece of paper with Joseph Smith's name on it sitting in a file somewhere.

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

VG do you have any other sources or are you just going to stubbornly cling to Lindsay's site as the sole truth of the matter? Even his site doesn't exactly coincide with what the LDS publicaly claims at every point.

12. robin101

"Umm no they don't. Smith was accused of glass looking but not convicted. This is according to court documents."

He dictated half the book of mormon this way, thats what he was doing with the magic rock or "Seer Stone" at the bottom of the hat. Dont you read your own holy literature?

13. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Moon Quakers. That is all I'm prepared to say on the subject.

14. robin101

15. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

16. robin101

but Im not trolling. I studied this and am quoting facts. and providing links.

17. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

It was a general warning, not specifically aimed at you.

18. robin101

aaaah apologies, came very soon after my post so assumed. sorry about that.

19. Cavedweller

Cavedweller Valued Member

Maybe it's more of a secret fraternal society kinda thing. Heaven - the highest degree of Masonry. Still ,you could be on to something. I hear heaven is very stylishly decorated.