Gospel of Thomas

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by vampyregirl, May 23, 2012.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Brilliant.

2. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

she doesn't even get the irony of that statement.

3. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

No you didn't not even close. The truth has to be revealed to you.

4. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Who does the revealing and when?

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

1) Is that measuring standard entirely subjective? It sounds entirely subjective.
    2) Am I correct insofar as this truth is known to be true only through a book dug out of the ground without any connection to any people group anywhere on the planet?

6. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Hebrews were and are on the planet. The truth has to be revealed to you by God. Only then will you know if the book is true.

7. aikiMac

Come on, you're better than that. Religious Jews have zero connection to the Book of Mormon. Ask my buddy CanuckMA how often and when they touch even one page of it. :rolleyes:

That's not an answer to the question.

8. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

It was written by Hebrews. You know that. This measuring rod you're looking for is God. He is the revealer of truth.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Which one?

10. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Anyway we are getting off topic. Can the Gospel of Thomas seriously be taken as evidence for the Q document or not?

11. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Yes, it can be taken for evidence of some previous document that contained the supposed sayings of Jesus may have existed. It can not be taken for proof of said document.

12. aikiMac

Thank you, Hannibal, for hearing the question. (whew) I didn't think I was that poor a communicator, but, wow, okay, maybe.

No, I don't. I'm still stuck on the unaddressed point about it being dug out of the ground without any connection at all to any people group anywhere on the planet, at all. I took American History. My brother has a PhD in American History. My wife and I homeschooled our children, so we've seen a ton of history books. Through it all I have never heard so much as a whisper of a suggestion that Hebrews lived in New York State before the era of the Indians who met the American Colonists.

13. aikiMac

The "Q document" is as true to life as Dan Brown novels. Fact.

The Gospel of Thomas was not written by anyone who knew Jesus, or who knew someone who knew Jesus. Fact.

So, the answer to your question is "no."

14. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Just as i suspected.

15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

At the very least, even if documents haven't gone missing or fallen into a poor state of repair over the last two millennia. There is still the translation problem. So far as I'm aware there is no first century modern English commentary on anything that was written about Jesus Christ. Everything has had to be translated. And where there is no equivalent word. People fill in the blanks as best as they can.

16. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The same could be said for any of the four gospels in the New Testament. It's interesting that you make your statement as though your opinion was indisputable. The real truth of the matter is two millennia after the event, we really don't know who wrote what. We don't know what actually happened, what's exaggeration and what was just plain made up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorship_of_the_Bible#Gospels_and_Acts

17. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

We wrote a lot of stuff. BoM is not one of them.

18. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

As a non-seafaring group, it would have been quite a feat to land in the Americas. India is as far as we got during the exiles. And we likely hitched a ride with someone else.

19. aikiMac

You assume the original audience didn't know who sent them mail. That assumption fails.

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If the documents Joseph Smith can be then why can't those?