Good site

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by neems, Oct 16, 2015.

1. neems

neems Valued Member

http://www.myboxingcoach.com/

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIM92dDFOHY"]How to Box in HD - The Boxing Stance - YouTube[/ame]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=326&v=CmpqqsmiP70

For going over the basics,he breaks down pretty much every technique in boxing,so if you're an autist like me and train a lot at home between sessions you can hopefully use some of these vids as a reference to make sure you're practicing with proper form when the coach isn't around.

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

https://youtu.be/CmpqqsmiP70

I actually don't like that instruction of the jab. It might just be me but the hips are moving counterproductivly to the direction of the blow in that video. Making it essentially an arm punch (the opposite of what he says he wants). I prefer and have been instructed to step forward and back with the punch in order to keep the energy cultivated in the lower body flowing in the same direction as the punch creating a stronger link. Just me?

3. neems

neems Valued Member

No the hips are driving the shot,similar to rotating with the right hand,but obviously not with as much movement.

You'd rotate your hips the other way (the same as with a right hand) to throw a jab?

You can't always step in or out with a shot,this vid just show the jab,I think I seen a vid on throwing shots while moving,I'll take a look.

4. neems

neems Valued Member

Couldn't find a video that broke down stepping in with the jab,but at 2.30 of this vid he shows it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv_BjzqG_Ew"]7 Ways to Be More Successful With Your Jab - YouTube[/ame]

5. Knee Rider

All the energy is travelling laterally rather than forward? In the same way that you need it to when hooking of the lead hand you don't want this when jabbing.

Edit: posted before you put up other vid bear with. My girlfriend is nagging about a just eat order...

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I found the second video painful to watch.

I started at 2.30 and gave up after a minute or so.

That step out with the lead leg is terrible.

Feet under you at ALL times. It's a simple rule.

7. Knee Rider

Yeah so, in the second video he is not using his feet or hips in the way he first instructed at any point. He is stepping in and out on the bag also... Which is how I prefer.

I think the direction of his hips is better in the second vid than in the first.

8. Knee Rider

To be fair his step is too pronounced for sure BUT I would step a little without following up with the rear foot on a jab

9. neems

neems Valued Member

The hips rotate (slightly) in the same manner automatically if you step in with just your lead leg.

10. Knee Rider

He is turning them square in video one. As you would for a hook. That is too much in my opinion. If you think he is doing less than that then fair enough; my hip will turn in slightly on a jab with the step if I'm stepping but its mosty from the shoulder with momentum from the step adding a bit of bite. I don't want my energy going sideways when it should be going forwards.

11. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I hate to ask a stupid question, but I am going to. Is the advice to keep your feet under you at all times, the simple rule. Is that simple rule for boxing or for all striking arts? I ask because during my bouncing between karate clubs, we did a heck of a lot of moving into front stance and punching.. Kind a like a very exaggerated step out like he was doing.

About the only thing different, about what he was showing and what I was taught in boxing, is that my back foot follows me, does not stay put.

I honestly have gotten a lot of good from that website. I wonder how he can get even a few negative comments considering he was a successful amature boxer and has trained decent boxers since his time in?

12. neems

neems Valued Member

How would you step in with the shot?

He's not off balance or weak in any area I can see.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo9-Uf9AI4U"]Floyd Mayweather Jr. - Too Skilled - YouTube[/ame]

Mayweather throws the jab to the body in a very similar way to the video breakdown (0.26 onward),he doesn't use it the head often imo because he's usually being chased and needs to be able to follow up or move effectively if he's throwing a head shot.

13. Simon

It's a case of each to his own.

I don't like the step out, as a change in direction requires a footwork/balance change before any movement can occur.

I like to be able to hit (or defend) and be able to move forward, backwards, side to side or at angles without any additional get set.

14. neems

neems Valued Member

His stance is going more 'side on' with the shot not more squared up if that's what you mean?

So he doesn't need to (intentionally) rotate the hips as he steps in with his lead leg,that action in itself will rotate his hips as the stance widens.

15. Simon

But that's Mayweather.

Can you do it like that?

If so that's great, but as I've mentioned it's not for me.

Mayweather makes it work because he has a fairly long stance. He leans over the front foot, so when he snaps back he's upright and on balance.

It's one of the techniques he used to beat Pacman.

16. neems

neems Valued Member

In a dynamic,fast paced and limited sport like boxing you might not have that choice.

your opponent is out of range,there is an opening,his way of exploiting that works well in boxing.

How would you exploit it?

17. neems

neems Valued Member

Yes,it's not at all difficult imo.

I can confirm (at least when I trained there) no-one in that gym would be considered ready to fight if they couldn't step in with a shot,and that's the most common way of doing it

Whether you bring your back leg in or your lead back to where it was is down to how your opponent reacts/if you're succesful.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  18. Knee Rider

19. neems

neems Valued Member

He's turning his foot 90 degrees over as an example of poor technique,which is right,I'm not sure if he's just exaggerating what he sees as a flaw (rotating the hip) or do people actually do that with their feet?

I've never seen anyone who's been to the gym more than a couple of time do that,that I can recall anyway.

But turning your hip into the shot is how you generate power in boxing with EVERY type of punch,you can't always step in/out with the shot.

Funnily enough at 13.30 he shows the cross,but for some reason rotating the your hip then doesn't make all the energy go out the sides?

Not to mention throughout he stays flat footed and straight legged,makes me question whether he is actually a boxer?

(this is the part where you show me up and tell me he's a former world champion)

20. Knee Rider

Ha I've got no idea who he is! I just had to do a you tube trawl till I found someone talking about the hip in relation to what I was saying. Could just be down to personal preference and what we've been exposed to coaching wise (I train Thai and kickboxibg for MMA for striking rather than pure boxing). I think you need more hip turn in a cross due to the body alignment in relation to the trajectory of the punch... I still would move them differently for a hook than a cross. :dunno: