Good Pugilism Books

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Emil, May 3, 2007.

1. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I am looking to collaborate a library of good pugilism books. I already have a few - Black Ajax; Strange Encounter by James Brady; Classical Pugilism and Bare-Knuckle Boxing Companion, Vol. I (not very good in my opinion; and another book which I can't remember the name of but will post the name when I remember it. Any suggestions of some good books?

Thanks

Akky

2. TheVigilante

TheVigilante New Member

"Championship Fighting" by Jack Dempsey (out of print for decades and very expensive now, but there are PDF versions floating round the web) is an excellent book. Edwin Haislet's Boxing is also full of good explanations, also out of print but can usually be found on ebay for ten dollars or so.

3. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Thanks. I just searched the internet and managed to find a free downloadable copy of Championship Fighting. I've also just bought Boxania.

4. Blevunly

Blevunly Valued Member

5. TheVigilante

TheVigilante New Member

I have a few others in PDF format too - Fitzsimmons, Sullivan, Donnelly, Carpentier and Fewtrell.

I shall get them uploaded at some point.

6. ocianain

ocianain Valued Member

Bob Mee's, History of Bareknuckle Boxing, Elliott Gorn's, The Manly Art are both very good books.

7. southern jester

southern jester New Member

the book 'how to fight tough' by jack dempsy has been reprinted. there is also a book 'how to box' that is a collection of articles from the new york evening world in 1899. boxing greats like terry mcgovern, james corbett, dr. j.gardner smith, gus e. and arthur r. keeley contribute to artices.

there are two books by ned beaumont that are very good as well. these can be ordered from palidin press. hope this helps.