good kung fu classes/schools north east england?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by dan117, Jun 11, 2011.

1. dan117

dan117 Valued Member

hi just looking for some suggestions of some good kung fu schools in durham/newcastle area? im already studying wing chun but would like to take up an additional art

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

How long have you been chunning?

3. dan117

dan117 Valued Member

been training in wing chun for about 3 years

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Ok, that would seem reasonable. The reason I ask is that so many people say "Hi I have been training in XYZ for about 5 months and would like to cross train..."

Anyway, whereabouts are you?

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Might be worth a look...

www.liondance.org.uk

CLF with Sifu Edmund Ng

You might send ChimpCheng a note as I believe he has been with (is at?) this club.

powchoy

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

+1 for Edmund Ng

7. dan117

dan117 Valued Member

im located in durham, but im willing to travel around for good classes

8. dan117

dan117 Valued Member

i know its a bit of a longshot but i dont suppose there are any shaolin kung fu schools in the area?

9. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

10. dan117

dan117 Valued Member

11. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I don't like the description. I don't know of ANY Chinese martial art that are currently in existence which can say with 100% certainty, that it is PURELY FOR FIGHTING.

If it is, we would have zero forms. Zero.

12. dan117

dan117 Valued Member

only concern i have is that it seems mantis is quite similar to wing chun so im unsure if it would be worth training in the two...

13. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

Southern Mantis is closer to WC than Northern (a la 7 Star).

Considering your location I'd opt for the Choy Lay Fut. It's a good fighting system.

14. tonglonglengjai

tonglonglengjai Valued Member

Just seem this thread...

Dann117 who you been doing with Wing Chun with, Gary? (he is the best in the Durham area)

Also don't want to get into debates about forms...Mantis oral history suggests that it was developed from fighting experience as probably most are really. Don't go off a website description but check out the teacher and the school direct.

Durham Choy Li Fut are good, Shakka is the real deal.

Feel free to come and visit us and check out mantis or the other things we do. I try and teach each system as a pure stand alone system.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

15. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Yes, I train there when I can! Not done the mantis, mainly wing chun and eskrima. Paul and his instructors are great and teach the arts in a very practical way. Pop in for a chat, you will be very welcome :cool:

16. peterb

peterb Valued Member

North east kung fu

Hi,
    I have been to Keith Thomas' Lau Gar club and think it is well worth your looking into if you are prepared to travel. He is one of the Lau Gar guardians, so its the real deal.

http://www.teessidekungfu.co.uk/

regards,
    Peter

17. tonglonglengjai

tonglonglengjai Valued Member

Sifu Thomas has a great group and I am proud to know him. Shop around, most good instructors sould be happy to answer your questions. Lots of good teachers and clubs in north east, it just depends what you want.

Style is the least important element.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk