Good Combo

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Cougar_v203, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

What are some good combos that would work in an actual fight?

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

One that I land quite a bit is what Wing Chun would call a "Jao Sao." I throw a low jab. If they drop a hand to cover it, I change it to either a hook or a backfist (depending on which hand they use) and often land the shot through the opening they provide. If they don't try to block it, then I just hit them with the jab :)

Another is to trap one hand to their chest with one hand while firing a punch with the other. When they parry the punch, I slide forward to trap with my punching hand while using my forearm to maintain the trap.

These are a couple that I find work pretty regularly for me.

Mike

3. Cain

Cain New Member

A front thrust kick to the plexus, land the kicking foot forward, and then execute a side snap kick with the other leg to the rib cage area

A straight blast with random targets

|Cain|

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

I also like an evasion to the outside of a punch, a stomping kick through the side that grazes the side of the knee, then, with the other foot, sweep them.

Mike

5. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

Best Combo:
    Hit`em, Pound`em, Ground`em

i hav seen some Wing Chun trapping n use those as good combo's(some similar to wat Mike Described)
    anyways i'll say find one technique practice it untill u can use it against any kind of oppnt(smaller,taller, stronger, fatty) n then sparr with lots of ppl...
    just look boxing hav only 3-4 punches n they are all devestating...

-TkdWarrior-

6. Cougar_v203

stomping kick?

7. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

where u lift ur kick something like side kick n then stomp on knee(side of knees)
    -TkdWarrior-

8. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Actually, the stomping kick I was referring to is from the other side of the triangle from what TKD describes (though it's the same principle).

Stand facing a person's right side (i.e.: they're facing north and you're on the east side of them, facing west). Now, kick to the outside of their right knee with the heel of your right foot. That's the stomping kick I was referring to. Like I said, same principle as TKD's, but taking a different line.

Mike

9. Shadow_Fox

Shadow_Fox New Member

so basically its just a side kick but aimed at the knee?

10. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

What happens if you don't have a compass handy, or is it an innate power you develop as time goes on?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

11. Cain

Cain New Member

First of all I just think it's this way....not sure....

A side kick with the force aimed downwards rather than outwards, I prefer kicking when my opponent is in the opposite stance, that time I can stomp my foot downwards to the outside of the attackers knee......GAH! videos would probably explain it better......

Oh ya, in mortal kombat 4 the torture of Jax and Jarek, they perform this same exact kick...

|Cain|

12. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

Good jab,

from there you can set up any combination of attacks.
    Follow on punches, leg kicks, step in to knee/elbow, shoot the legs, whatever :D

One of my faves is jab to the face, hook to the chin then low thai kick/knee to the thigh.

13. johndoch

johndoch upurs

A good Jab - Cross combination is very important.

It can be used in various ways such as jab low - cross high, jab high - cross low, or as an attack, counter-attack, stop hits etc.

IMHO I would say you should be able to jab - cross at a good level on the bag and sparring before moving on to complex combinations involving hooks and uppercuts etc.

14. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

Total agree :d

Start simple, add a few more, but always looking to keep it as simple as possible but comprehensive to.

15. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I agree with Doc, the quality of many peoples punches is poor, especcially when compared to a boxing student of equal training.

First I'd say learn how to throw good combinations of punches, jabs, cross's, hooks, uppercuts. Then move on to more complex stuff like faints, covers, grabs and kicks in the combo.

And Rhythm is an important part of any combo! :)

16. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

The one that I'm using isn't a sidekick. It's an "oblique" kick. Or, in silat, it's a "depok." In Kali, it's a "tadjak" (though tadjak could also bee the sidekick variation that you're thinking of, too).

I'd be connecting with the instep side of my heel.

I had this on video but I can't currently find it. I'll try to put it on video later and get a link to it.

Mike

17. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

shadow fox imagine something like throwing a tantrum
    here u r throwing it on person's knee ;) :D
    -TkdWarrior-

18. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

19. Cougar_v203

ooo ok thanks for the helpful tippy.
    my sn at school is shadow fox and my home sn is cougar just to let you know.

20. Shadow_Fox

Shadow_Fox New Member

i've been trying these few combos of my own Tell me if they are good

left Jab to Face
    Right Cross to chin
    Right Crescent Kick to side of head
    Spinning Side Kick to the stomach area