Good brands for kickboxing gear?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by jread, Oct 3, 2004.

1. jread

jread New Member

I'm going to be ordering all-new kickboxing gear soon and was just wondering who you guys recommend for quality equipment. All of my current gear is Revgear brand and I have been happy with it, but I just wanted to see if there was a better brand to try.

What I'm going to order:

- Boxing Headgear
    - Boxing Gloves
    - Shin/Instep pads

All help is most-appreciated :)

2. What's your budget? Basically all of my equipment is CIMAC/T-Sport, but some aren't.

Are you points fighting or full? If points/semi, then get a dipped foam headguard. T-Sport ones are good IMO. If doing full/light continuous then Top Ten are the best without a doubt (again IMO - don't kill me!!!). It depends on your use though. If you're gonna use them once a month do you really want to splash out a lot of money.

I've heard TWINS make good shin insteps, but don't have a clue because I don't wear them. I do FC/American l-con so it's T-Sport shins and foot pads for me.

Gloves - Oh dear! How many gloves are there :confused: ? Some reputable brands - Top Ten, Twins, Fairtex etc. You know how often you're going to use them, so if you will use them a lot then it might be worth paying for this quality. If you're not using them regularly or are not dedicated to your training then get a cheaped brand.

I use STARPAK AIBA gloves http://www.wsvusa.com. They do a cheaper version (Still AIBA stamped) for CIMAC http://www.CIMAC.net.

Hope that helped :cool:

GENERAL BRAND (my opinions) -

HIGH BUDGET - Top Ten
    NORMAL - T-Sport (I'm biased ;))
    LOW - Unsure - Anyone else want a go?

There are good, cheap brands aswell. Google is your friend ;)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2004
  3. fizz-lau

fizz-lau Valued Member

we only use cimac in the club :love:

4. We HAVE to (CIMAC T-sport), so there ;)

What organisation do you belong to?

5. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Twins, thaismai, fairtex, windy.

All of this stuff is great.

6. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Twins and Fairtex are second to non :) Good quality products that will last.

7. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Fairtex and Twins

8. fizz-lau

fizz-lau Valued Member

well it is t sport we use too
    bkfa,cmma,iaksa

9. Claudinha

Claudinha Valued Member

From my experience

As far as gloves go, right now grant makes the best product for sparring. For bag work I would use aries 16 oz. training gloves. Grant headgear is also the best followed by the German topten brand.
    Twin does make top quality stuff and that is what brand of shin guards you should get, but for twins,I would stick to kickboxing oriented stuff (ie. shin guards, thai pads, belly pads, etc), and buy your gloves and what not from a boxing seller like grant or maybe reyes. Athough is you go reyes remember that the stuff ringside sells isn't as top quality as the stuff they sell in Mexico.

10. Fightshop.Com

Fightshop.Com Valued Member

Remember that you get what you pay for. Boxing and Martial arts equipment is designed to protect you and your sparring partner. If you buy cheap rubbish you may well end up injured and it wont last very long so you will have wasted your money. There is plenty of cheap stuff about and also expensive "fashion" stuff, stay clear. Stick to established and respected brands of Thai and Western Boxing equipment as they have a proven track record of taking a beating and lasting. I shall outline some below

The main Thai brands are Windy, Twins and Fairtex. There are also Thaismai and Sandee and a few others. All are good quality as they are used in professional Gyms in Thailand.

Windy is the oldest Thai Boxing Equipment manufacturer, a family business producing kit for over 60 yrs and used throughout Thailand in most of the professional camps. Very good quality, lasts for ages.

Twins is one of Thailand’s major exporters and one of the most popular brands in Thailand. Similar quality to Windy but they have better marketing. It has also made some inroads into Western Boxing.

Fairtex is a relatively new Thai brand but use modern quality assured production methods and superior raw materials to produce very high quality kit. They are the official equipment suppliers of K1.

Title are a very old British Boxing equipment manufacturer, making kit since 1949. Used extensively in Western boxing gyms. Like Fairtex they use modern quality assured production methods and superior raw materials to produce very high quality kit.

The other western boxing brands that you might come across are what I would refer to as “fashion” brands; Everlast, Lonsdale and Golds Gym. Everlast is a USA company with a very good reputation however Everlast in the UK (where I am wring from) is produced under licence and differs from the high quality of its American parent. Lonsdale is British and more of a fashion brand now, no real pedigree in boxing equipment any more. Gold’s Gym is a weight lifting company that sells a boxing kit range, only really suitable for home use.

If I were you I would stick to the tried and tested brands such as Windy, Twins, Fairtex, Title. Its your body you are protecting and you money you are investing. Remember you get what you pay for in the end.