Good Aikido Books

Discussion in 'Aikido Resources' started by EmptyHandGuy, Aug 12, 2009.

1. embra

embra Valued Member

Was the Hut not in Hillingdon West London - where I think Haydn Foster still teaches. Chigwell is in North East London.

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

A lesson (warning) from Tada shihan was that we should NEVER train beyond our abilities.Study that which you have yet to master before you begin to train (execute)

From Saito shihan ..only after third dan should you begin to execute flowing techniques.

I was "executing" them at first dan. (or so I thought)

YES thanks Grange farm was in Chigwell where the first of the mixed seminars were held. Thanks I always mix them up. I shall edit the post.

Sensei Foster took me under his wing when ever I visited the hut. Absolute gentleman with a Tommy Cooper laugh to go with a killer nikyo.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  3. embra

embra Valued Member

Were there still poorhouses in Glasgow of the late 50s and early 60s?

4. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

I have to say thanks for this thread, I love stories of the old days. My instructor trained with you (Koyo) back in the Chiba days (still talks very highly of you) & the odd snippet of those days sneaks out when training.

What does surprise me is the number of people on this board who knew each other or at least met on occasion back then. You should all get together for old time sake (Yes I'm hinting at a seminar!)

5. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Aikido from a western perspective

Dear Embra,
    There are numerous books by Westerners on Aikido.Authors such as Jon Pearson, Terry Dobson, Christian Tissier , Peter Brady etc are just a couple which spring to mind.Sometimes I think there are more books written than there are Aikidoka !!

6. Koyo, any chance of another print of your books?

7. koyo

I am afraid I lost the disks BUT Wolfie started a thread called Koyo's book .There I have written some ideas for another book.

Any questions or suggestions will be answered there.

8. Ok thanks.

9. embra

embra Valued Member

One book on the roots of Aikido given a 'pass' by a friend passed me this recent reference

Hidden in Plain Sight: Tracing the Roots of Ueshiba Morihei's Power by Ellis Amdur (who occassionally posts on this forum.)

http://www.edgework.info/buy-books-on-martial-arts.html

and also this review in Stan Pranin's Aikido Journal

http://www.aikidojournal.com/bibliography_details?id=331

I haven't read myself it yet, as I truelly am skint at this momemnt, but I thought it worth mentioning, as it may of interest to some.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  10. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

11. ludde

ludde Valued Member

And Ellis Amdur "Dueling with O-sensei."

12. macker

macker Valued Member

13. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

My dad attended the mixed courses at grange farm Chigwell. If my memory serves me right Grange Farm had the coldest swimming pool ever. My dad as a Judoka was introduced to Aikido at these courses. Through my dad dabling in Aikido and my dad's friend who was a police PTI becoming an Aikido instructor both inside and outside the police force, aikido become a part of our judo practice. 35 yrs later I am still enjoying Aikido as much now as I did back then.

14. koyo

I must have trained with your dad because I was training in judo before taking up aikido and attended the judo classes when they didn't clash with the aikido.

I was the Scot with the guitar who was always having "friendly" bouts with the karateka and hung out a lot with Tomio Otani from kendo who also played guitar.

15. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

I would assume that you may of crossed paths as my dad is 73. I know that he did some Aikido with Ken Williams. As stated above my dad was Judoka, but one thing he did do was guide me in the direction with my Aikido by searching and encouraging me to seek out good quality instruction.

I guess that once your generation of budoka come into contact with someone of Abbe's standard second best will never do. I have also heard this said about Senta Yamada as well.

16. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Aikido; development of teachers in the Uk in the early days.

When Chiba Sensei arrived in the U.K. at the behest of Kenshiro Abbe Sensei, he after a period of time, set up the Aikikai of Gt.Britain.During this period he introduced the Shidoin /Fukushidoin teaching certification.As you state these certificated teachers then travelled extensively around the U.K. taking seminars. Chiba Sensei is also a driving force in the U.K in relation to Aikido weapons training , Batto Ho Za Zen.The British Birankai,with Chiba Sensei as our Technical Director, actively promotes and encourages students to train in all 4 pillars of Aikido, ie body art , weapons , batto ho and Za Zen.

17. "batto ho and Za"

Hi,
    Can you explain what these are please?
    Thanks.

18. embra

embra Valued Member

Batto-Ho is the style of Iaido (sword drawing) taught in Chiba Sensei's Birankai lineage.

The more traditional Aikido lineages will sometimes include some form of Iaido instruction. My exposure to Iaido has been very limited.

Za-zen is the meditation practise of some Aikido lineages, consisting of either full-lotus posture or kneeling posture (soto-zen?) for 2 half hour sessions, interrupted by 'kinghin' which is an intermediate walk between sessions. I believe that this form of meditation comes from the Japanese traditions of ****o-ism and Bhuddism. It is a long, long time since I have exercised Za-zen.

19. Thank you.

20. koyo

O Sensei developed sword and stick which he called aiki ken and aiki jo specifically to enhance aikido taijutsu. Saito Morihiro shihan of Iwama aikido was the recognised master of these arts.

Incedently Chiba shihan was the first to introduce Iwama aiki ken and jo to the UK.