going into JJif tournament

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by roninmaster, Jun 15, 2013.

1. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

So my Brazilian jiu-jitsu dojo has a kickboxing class taught by a pro fighter from another MMA gym we're affiliated with. His specific flavor of kickboxing is more of a mixture of Karate, dutch KB, and thaiboxing, but to single out any it would be mostly Karate, and thaiboxing.

We got to talking after class one day and we came to the conclusion that a majority of us, including the instructor, would like to hit up some JJIF style tournaments. Primarily to get used to combining the striking elements with the grappling elements.

Now we've all competed in Brazilian jiujitsu and submission tournaments. However I don't know much about JJiF rules sets outside of what I see in youtube highlight reals. Are all the moves done in BJJ tournaments allowed in JJIF tournaments? I do know there is a limit on the ground but thats about all I know.

I keep finding mixed rules when I google it, or unclear ones. has anyone ever made the cross from BJJ/judo to this kind of tournament. What were your experiences?

2. mpiaser

mpiaser New Member

jjif

Hi there

I am a jjif word referee. Perhaps I can answer specific questions. Do you have a copy of the jjif rules?

3. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

just what are the standard unified rules. I guess. Is there a limit on groundfighting? what submissions are not allowed? what strikes aren't allowed?

4. mpiaser

mpiaser New Member

jjif rules

The rules are posted at http://www.jjif-referees.com/

Note there are three events: Fighting system, Duo, Ne Waza. I suspect you are thinking about the Fighting system. After looking at the rules, if you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them.

In part 1, striking - straight techniques to the head and uncontrolled techniques are not allowed.

In part 2, throwing - all strikes are not allowed

In part 3, groundwork - all strikes are not allowed

Competitors must be active in each part. In groundwork, if the competitors are not making progress, they will be stopped and the fight will continue in Part 1