Going back to College and Lifting

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pretty In Pink, Aug 6, 2018.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

It almost sounds like you did but never actually followed what was suggested, unless I missed where someone said do one exercise for three sets then go home?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

An hour more or less. Maybe a bit over?

3. Pretty In Pink

Maybe I misread it? I just read it as "do one exercise and one optional extra exercise".

4. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I think what's he's saying is that there's no need to do multiple exercises for the same muscle group. In other words, if you squat then at most doing a leg press is a good idea, but not leg press, hack squats, incline leg press, bodyweight squats, machine squats, etc. It would be fine to do deadlift, squats and bench press all in the same session as your big three, with supporting exercises for the rest of the session, but a maximum of one supporting exercise per main exercise.

My personal trainer seems to disagree somewhat, but that's by the by!

Nachi likes this.
  5. Pretty In Pink

Well don't I feel like a doofus :p

On Thursday I'll do squat and bench then.

Also I just want to add that I hit the bag today because I wanted to and they had one, rather than I thought it was a good idea.

Aegis likes this.
  6. Pretty In Pink

EDIT: I think it's 50kg? Two tens and two fives plus the bar?

axelb likes this.
  7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

nice going PIP :)

50kg sounds right assuming bar is 20kg -that looked easy enough for you, how did it feel doing those? It's good to keep it easy at this stage so you can work on form and build it slowly.

Only a couple things I would add at this stage:
    For deadlifts, the foot placement is about hip width, yours were shoulder width. On barbell lifts you'll notice this more as your arms hit your needs and the knees buckle inward, but the hex bar forces a wider grip.

-Lifting shoes or barefoot (if the gym allows it) - trainers can adjust your foot balancing position as the base is more malleable, which at this stage isn't so bad, but as you get closer to max it makes a difference on how your body compensates that.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

Barefoot is not allowed unfortunately. I could get some wrestling shoes later I'd necessary? I think they are similar (Mangosteen had some).

The 50kg felt fine and I got through it easy enough. Today I feel it a little bit but it's not agony.

The plan for tomorrow will be squats and bench. Squats maybe around 40kg and bench around 30kg?

Also, how long is the rest supposed to be between sets?

axelb likes this.
  9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

If you've not done barbell bench press before, start with a completely empty bar and build slowly. I went back recently and tried to start where I thought I'd be comfortable (over-estimating my strength again!) and pretty much dropped the bar onto my own chest immediately because I'd forgotten how much work the stabilising muscles have to do. I've gradually built up to 60kg sets over a number of weeks now, but on my first day 30kg was beyond me for the first set. Never any shame in starting with an unloaded bar to see how you handle it!

Knowing how strong you are, 40kg squats will probable feel easy once you're used to the movement, but again, low weight to start with and to build form is an excellent idea.

axelb likes this.
  10. axelb

Wrestling shoes or skate shoes like converse are a good alternative, basically a flat solid base to push from.

Bench, definitely start bar only, and the same with squat, but you can work the squat up a little.
    For high reps I think the bar would be enough, 40kg might be too much. Best to finish strong and work on technique rather than fail and drop the bar, which can put you down mentally.
    It's not a race, so take the weight up slowly over time, it'll be your body weight before you know it :D

Rest time is variable, I would say 30s to 1min on warmup sets.
    2-3 minutes is a good start for working sets and see how your body reacts. Some days it will be different, less than 90s and you'll find you tire quicker in the set.

Over a few sessions you will be able to refine that more.

11. Pretty In Pink

Cheers guys. I'm fairly sure that 30kg isn't too much because I've done a bench before, but if I find myself struggling at all I'll definitely lower it.

I'll make a note and rest longer for sure.

This is also a good excuse to get a new pair of shoes :p

axelb likes this.
  12. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Never mind all this weight training malarkey. I want to know more about breakfast ...
    ... two scoops of vanilla ice cream :)

axelb, Pretty In Pink and Travess like this.
  13. Pretty In Pink

For calories xD

axelb likes this.
  14. Pretty In Pink

15. Pretty In Pink

30kg on the squat because my legs still feel a bit sensitive from Tuesday.

30kg on the bar press no problem though :p

No other exercises done today. In judo just now though.

axelb likes this.
  16. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I am not much of a lifter, so take what I write with a grain of salt, but I think you should try squatting a bit lower. To get your thighs parallel to the floor, at least. From the angle it is a bit difficult to tell, but it seems you could go lower. From what I can tell, other than that your form looks good so keep up the good work! And it's cool you're posting videos :)

17. Pretty In Pink

Yeah I think so too. It's bloody difficult because my legs are so long. Getting lower is awkward :p

18. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Aaaah, tall people's trouble! :D

19. axelb

I occasionally record from the side for that reason, I have long legs. Make sure the hip crevice is above the knee joint before coming back up.

You're doing high bar squat, so you should be able to squat a bit lower than parallel, as with low bar squat, it becomes more difficult to squat lower without rounding the spine.

It's a learning process, and you'll still get stimulation even if you don't do perfect form every time :)

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  20. Pretty In Pink

Yeah, today I filmed from the side.

Today I did dl's @ 55kg. 3x10 again

And I did pull ups, 4x5 and they were really hard.

Also, if I find it easier to warm up on a bag is it alright to stick with that as a warm up?

axelb likes this.