Going back to College and Lifting

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pretty In Pink, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Chinups and/or rows would be a good thing to add. I like one accessory exercise per movement type, but it's by no means necessary (ie chins for rowing, pushups for bench, lunges for squat, back extensions for deadlift, to give you semi-arbitrary examples), and anywhere from 0 to 3 sets of each should be plenty if you're gonna be doing 5 sets of the main lift. They're just an optional extra, don't kill yourself to shove them into your workout.

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Since Cushing was done multiple times in the NFL for steroids those gains might be real lol

Only thing I don't like about that programme is the rotation of the main exercise its not needed if you are working 3 or 5 rep sets especially for beginners

Fish Of Doom and Mangosteen like this.
  3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Excellent advice.

Great post.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

If I film myself can I post it here? I know forms of how to lift but I am still uncomfortable with it.

Mushroom and axelb like this.
  5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Of course you can.

Travess likes this.
  6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Oh yeah, the main 3 is a must. And yeah Ken was on allllll the supplements. But I still remember him being laughed at, at the TUF house for suggesting "odd shape lifts". But now odd-shape lifts are a thing. Altho maybe not the atlas stones.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Go ahead... better man than me :p I still barely post on my IG account.

8. Pretty In Pink

Right so I'm starting on Tuesday morning.

The plan is nice and simple squats 3x10 at about 30kg. Followed by pull ups afterwards.

As to the pull ups how does one work up to 3x10? I can probably do ten the first time but I don't know about the second or third? Should I just do thirty with as little break as possible in between?

Like 10, 1 minute, 7, 1 minute, 6, 1 minute etc etc until I hit 30 pull ups?

axelb likes this.
  9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I'd say warm up to it first;
    3, rest, 5, rest, 7 rest.
    Warmup rest should be relatively short.

Then 10 reps.

Rest as long as you need, more than 5 minutes you're probably cooling down.
    Then repeat for 2 more sets to make 3x10.

Once you can do that, then look to either reduce the time for resting, increase the reps, or increase the sets.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  10. Pretty In Pink

Yeah, for pull ups I was recommended to get it down to 3x10 with 1 minute rests. After that I've to start adding weight.

Also, can I do weights before I eat food? Then just eat loads afterwards?

11. axelb

Best if you can get some fuel in as long as it's not too close to training, for me that's food a least an hour before, or maybe a drink 30-40 minutes before if I can't get food.
    If you can't get fuel in before and you're haven't eaten while then you will find it harder, or you may need longer rest than normal between sets.

If that's the case, definitely lots of food after :)
    Many studies have shown 20-30 minutes after its it's a good time to get protein into the system.

12. Pretty In Pink

Tomorrow is my first day of lifting.

What's the other exercise I should do after deadlifts? Trying to remember and I think it's back extensions?

My food intake (up until lunchtime)

Breakfast (before workout):

Omlette, tea, banana, milkshake (peanut butter, chocolate powder, banana x2, milk, ice cubes, scoops of vanilla ice cream x2)

(After workout)

Yogurt, natural Greek 500ml with berries and honey

Lunch

Rice and two salmon fillets (pictured both)

Attached Files:

axelb likes this.
  13. axelb

No need to over complicate it :)
    Deadlifts will give you plenty of stimulation, you can get plenty from just deadlift in a workout.

If you want to add more back stimulation, then bent over rows or pullups.
    More leg stimulation, squats or lunges.

Greek yoghurt, honey and berries is my favourite sweet food at the moment :D

Nachi and Pretty In Pink like this.
  14. Pretty In Pink

Done the work out, eating the yogurt right now :p

Didn't do the rows or anything. 5 minutes on a treadmill, did the 3x10 with 40kg minute rest. Was over quite quickly. Went to hit a heavy bag for two rounds and gassed after the first round. My arms felt heavy, REALLY heavy.

I'll post the video later.

Also, I used the hexagonal bar for the dls because I thought it would be easier for my form.

Nachi and axelb like this.
  15. axelb

the hex/trap bar will give you a more upright position, so you'll likely feel it in your quads more than back from conventional deadlift.
    It'll certainly work whether you use hex or normal barbell :)
    I hate doing any cardio after lifting, it feels so draining, but I read that 10mins at a low HR intensity is good for finishing.

Looking forward to seeing the video!

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

You have probably already been asked this but how often are you training martial arts, and what's your goal is it building strength and muscle or conditioning

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  17. Pretty In Pink

My goal should really be building strength primarily. I'm doing 3x10 to build my nervous system or something. Ask Ero :p

Will be training 5 days a week martial arts man.

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

So your looking to build strength but half the session was spent doing cardio and you only did one lift and didn't really rest between sets enough to recovery properly?

You might want to rethink your work out, nothing wrong with sets of ten but only 3 sets and only 1 exercise might not be the best way to go.

19. Pretty In Pink

It's almost sounds like I should go on a forum and ask questions and get advice...... Maybe even start a thread.

aaradia and Aegis like this.
  20. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

That's crazy talk!

How long do you have at the gym each time you go?