Going back to College and Lifting

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pretty In Pink, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

There is a really nice uni gym across the street from where's I'll. w studying. I'm planning on going before college every day (3 times a week). I plan on going through my MMA fitness guides but if anyone has articles on MMA specific weight lifting I'd be up for clicking some links?

axelb and Mushroom like this.
  2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

No need for mma specific strength training just do the basics and get strong in the deadlift squat and press, only thing you need to be more specific in in adding in rows and Chins.

Strength should be in a general way your sports training will make it specific no need to over complicate it any basic strength template will work.

Simon, axelb, hewho and 1 other person like this.
  3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

What he said x10000.

Avoid gimmicks, focus on fundamentals, just like in MA. Squat, press, DL, pull are the jab, cross, hook, low kick of strength. If you do them often, correctly, and strictly, you will get 10x the returns of drilling only flying armbars and superman punches.

axelb and Pretty In Pink like this.
  4. Pretty In Pink

Is the bench press better as 5x5 or 3x10 for general strength?

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

In addition to the above, 'sling' training is something I have all my athlete clients do (especially those who are fighters). It has great carryover to their sport and often there is a positive influence on the 'big' functional lifts.

Train Your Core's 'Sling System' to Improve Performance

6. Fish Of Doom

Generally speaking 5x5 because it'll be heavier, however I would suggest reading this:
    The “Hypertrophy Range” – Fact or Fiction?
    (listen to Greg, Greg is good)

axelb, Pretty In Pink and hewho like this.
  7. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Anecdotally, I've had more benefit from 5x5 alongside No Gi, I've felt like it's been better for my grappling strength than when I work higher reps. @Fish Of Doom that's an excellent read, and very interesting! I've always thought the 'rep ranges' were guidelines rather than hard and fast rules, but it's intriguing to see those results!

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

EXcellent. (Last question I promise) is there a point of diminishing returns if you were to training 5 days instead of 3? Or would it not matter as long as I got enough rest and food?

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

The 3 great drivers of of growth are load adjusted volume, food and rest.

Greg nuckols goes over this but say you squat 5x5 at 80% of your max one day, you rest 3 to 5 minutes between sets so this takes you 15 minutes at 2000 volume load adjusted.

Compare this to where you do 3x10 at 70% with 1 minutes rest so this takes 3 to 5 minutes at 2100 volume load adjusted. This leaves time for additional volume exercises and a lower injury risk at lower percentages for newbie.

axelb likes this.
  10. Fish Of Doom

It varies, but generally more is better, and training more days allows you to do more stuff. Higher frequency also allows you to distribute total training volume per session so you're fresher while doing everything, if you don't wanna do more total training per se.

axelb likes this.
  11. Mangosteen

When you started bjj did you recover oksy from daily training or did it take a while to adjust ?

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

My strength is what sometimes helps me get out of techniques...now I just need technique. :eek:)

Have you looked at the kind of stuff that Dan Strauss does? Odd shape lifts, such as heavy bags, anvils and tons of grip stuff.
    Early Ken Shamrock was very much doing strongman lifts for MMA.

I recently did my Back Day into also a grip day.

Pull ups > Gi/towel pull ups.
    Close Grip Lat Pull Downs - use a towel to pull down.

Added in Bicep curls but attach a rolled towel to the handle.
    Everything else, was kinda normal.

axelb likes this.
  13. Pretty In Pink

Fair point. I did go everyday but my core was sore for like the first 6 months.

14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I'd start with the least amount of total volume you can still make gains with and go from there

Then when you hit a plateau you can change things up and still male improvements if you start off with the most volume you can handle where do you go from there?

Its not the same as ingraining a skill as with bjj you are building a quality strength and do the bare minimum to start with you can

Monkey_Magic and Mangosteen like this.
  15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Early ken was taking all sorts of stuff lol

Honestly strongman isn't the best way to go, too much time needed in terms of learning the lifts and too much risk in terms of potential injury

Get strong in the big three, deadlifts and chins will build grip strength they are the biggest bang for your buck training you can do

And compared yo odd object lifting, tyres stones etc way less risk of injury

Fish Of Doom and Mangosteen like this.
  16. Pretty In Pink

Deadlifts, squats, bench. Anything else after? i.e Tuesday Deadlifts and after core exercises or push ups to failure or some such?

Or just do the deadlifts and be happy?

17. Mangosteen

18. Pretty In Pink

19. Mangosteen

Oh no that's marketing crap but it's a fairly standard lower volume program that has a number of essential movements

20. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Stick to the basic lifts,and even if it's easy to start, stick with whichever template you choose, the weight increments build up quick enough.

You should find a nice line of beginner strength gains for about the first 6 months :)

High rep or low rep,as long as it's a reputable template and you feel progress on it.