God given talent?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anjelica, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

She was inspired originally to practise by religion, and with practise she got good, and then she got paid money, which encouraged her to practise and sell more paintings, if she wasn't getting paid, she wouldn't have the time to get so good.

So if money is the root of all evil, and she got paid money to paint about her god.....

It stands to reason that her god if it exists is therefore evil, simple.

3. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

Her parents are not religious. That's the thing. She says God inspired her. BTW the Bible says the love of money is the root of all evil, not money itself.

4. Dead_pool

If she didn't love it, she would help the poor with it instead, like jesus would, not hoard it in a bank, like most "christians" would nowadays.

She may very well of been inspired by religion to begin with, but if she was working a minimum wage job, she wouldn't of had the time to practise and get so good.

Lots of American christians seem to think success in this world, is a result of god directly rewarding them for their goodness, whereas historically many Christians believed God only rewarded you in the afterlife for your actions during this life.

It's interesting, don't you think.

Knee Rider likes this.
  5. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

The visions she had as a child, where did they come from? And im sure she donates to charities. BTW she was only a child when she started painting. She wasnt old enough to work then.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Does she believe she was inspired by God? Sure, if she says so. Does that make the rest of us believe in God? No.

Frodocious and Dead_pool like this.
  7. Dead_pool

Kids hallucinate all the time, lots of kids have invisible friends...... It doesn't mean "drop dead Fred" is real..... (Rip)

As I've already said, the more she practises, the better she gets, that's true about everything, if she was terrible and wasn't a millionaire already, she wouldn't have the time to practise as an adult with a job to get better. Her practising is the key to this, god didn't give her the ability, because god isn't a real thing, it's just something parents make up to get kids to behave which got taken a little too seriously, just like thor, and hercules once were!

8. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

When she was 13 her paintings had sold for millions. A true prodigy. Where did it come from?

9. Dead_pool

Practise, good genetics, and fake religious people with too much money, who should be helping the poor.

10. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

1) We need to talk about the subjective measurement of today's art market.

2) Her work has a certain skill, but it doesn't strike me as impossible to reach. For example, this was a work Ingres exhibited at the Salon when he was 22 (actually it's probably NSFW, but it's art HONESTLY) google "Achilles Receiving the Ambassadors of Agamemnon".

3) The existence of something inexplicable is not evidence for any god, let alone the Christian one. I could say that my ability to bonsai comes from the dark lord Nyarlathotep, but would you find that persuasive?

11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

This is a subset of American Christianity known as the "prosperity gospel" or "prosperity theology." I don't have hard numbers on numbers, but I wouldn't say that the majority of American Christians subscribe to such beliefs, but there is a notable subset that does.

Prosperity theology - Wikipedia

Thor IS a real thing. You haven't seen Loki running about, have you? Didn't think so. Why not? THOR. Duh. Why do you hate logic?

12. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

Who are you to say someone has too much money? Some people have more talent than others. Some are better at business at others. Maybe you're just jealous?

13. Dead_pool

If your a christain, you should be helping the poor not buying ten thousand dollar paintings, WWJD and all that.

Interestingly I've looked up the artist, her family weren't massively religious, but they were Catholic, however all the godsquad websites say they were atheists, and God taught her to paint, but in a few interviews she's clearly said, she enjoyed drawing, her family supported her, and so she drew and painted everyday, so it's just good old fashioned practise.

14. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Jesus himself didn't seem to be enthusiastic about "the prosperity Gospel."

“How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God! Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.” Those who heard this were astonished, “Who then can be saved?”, they asked. Jesus replied, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.” – Luke 19:23–27

That said, I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm a Jew-turned-atheist who enjoys studying Norse mythology.

Dead_pool likes this.
  15. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

Its the inspiration she says came from God. She also says her talent comes from him. Whether you believe her or not its what she believes and shes clearly not stupid.

16. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

BTW I have read Norse mythology to although I prefer Greek.

17. Dead_pool

To be completly rational.....

Thor said he'd kill all the frost giants.... And I don't see any frost giants at the moment.... So he must exist!

18. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Would you believe me if I said my bonsai talent came from Nyarlathotep? Why or why not?

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Dead_pool

Who's you favourite god?

It's interesting how many of the proto European and Indian gods all share similar characteristics. Good storytelling holds it worth it seems!

20. Dead_pool

Your PhD in bonsaiology was from Miskatonic University wasn't it?
    Is that where your interest in Nyarlathotep was first formed?

philosoraptor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.